Goodbye Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Goodbye Cantr

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi guys. It's been four days since I quit. I'm sure some people were wondering who it was, unless it was obvious who I played. I'm posting a list of characters and writing a bit more about them.

Suman Corliss - He was the reason I was originally waiting until the end of January, as he was going to another continent to get sapphires, and I wanted to give him time to return. He acknowledged dying just minutes before it happened, but on some level he had been aware of it for a longer time. Yet he kept telling himself he would make it home. He didn't say anything to Melinda. Sorry about that. Also he picked up a passenger shortly before he died. It would've been awkward to go something like "sorry to end this conversation but I'm in the middle of dying here", so he stayed silent.

Pete the Cook - This was probably the hardest because he had the most positive outlook on life out of all of my characters. He was afraid to die and afraid of being abandoned at the last moment. In his last moments, his eyes and ears stopped working, so all he had left was his sense of touch. When he was a newspawn, he used to have a crush on Paris. He eventually learned to accept that she didn't feel attracted to him. In the beginning of his life, he was unaware of his face being malformed and only found out during the Klojt Festival when he first saw a mirror. He was originally inspired by Disney's Quasimodo. He never faced any negative reaction to his appearance in his whole life, so he was quick to accept that it's what's on the inside that counts. Just days before he died, he wrote a cookbook. The recipes are adjusted to Cantr logic, like absorbing moisture from the air instead of adding liquids.

Jester - He was an acrobat. I had to read up on how to do flips and cartwheels and what different moves are called. Originally he was going to die from the fall, but I couldn't know in advance which season it would be when my quitting was scheduled to take place, and he doesn't perform during winter, so he had to have his accident earlier. Playing out the paralysis and cerebral palsy like symptoms was very rewarding. It just felt like people got tired of him demanding so much attention, so I didn't even wake him up during the last two or three days. He died peacefully in his sleep.

rubbermaid - A submissive character spawned on Omeo island. She had just found a Master and a lover a few days before she died, so it was pretty unfair of me to kill her off, but I wanted her last days to be better than most of her life. She found what she had been searching for for 23 years. She hopes that her Master will find a way to move on, maybe become a great pirate or something else great. She would be disappointed if he just gave up. There is more to her story but I will let people find out ingame, if they ever do.

Monifa Afolayan - She started suffering from a degenerative brain disease while they were working on the World Jewels. She still managed to finish all the drawings for the book and she wrote several songs during her last days. The songs started making less sense over time but they were always rhyming. I started using real world tunes for structure.

Princess Meridian of the Apples - She faced a lot of hostility for being born to royalty. She stared out as very arrogant but towards the end she was becoming softer around the edges. She first thought she was having indigestion, but realized it was a heart attack a couple of hours before it claimed her life. She had prepared for the chance of dying long ago, writing a will and constructing herself a sarcophagus, but she could never predict that she would die away from home.

Moyra Catrina Kinsley - the protector of Kiii. When she first spawned (in a town that my character Jaina Valjean used to lead) I thought to myself - well this is convenient. It must be the spirits that wanted her to spawn here. At first no one took her seriously when she said she was sent to protect Kiii. What was there to protect from? At first she didn't even have a weapon, but she complained that nobody was investing in her, so a visitor gave her a broadsword and some healing food. Her most exciting moment was when she sparred with weapons, and they both failed to cause damage. During her last year, she fell ill with pneumonia and was mainly delirious or unconscious through most of the time, but I'm glad she got to talk to Misha before she died. I also appreciate what Leafde did - aside from the OOCish insinuation that "we both know who's causing this". I won't go into details but that really creeped me out when I read it late at night. Leafde is a great character but that halfway ruined it for me. She guessed correctly that Moyra and Jonathan shared the same spirit. I never thought of Moyra as a reincarnation of Jonathan, but she had an unexplained fondness towards Leafde from the first moment she saw her. She never had sexual feelings towards anyone else in her whole life. Visually the interesting thing about Moyra was not only that she was very tall and broad for a woman, but that even though she had very fair skin, judging by her facial features and hair, she was African. I haven't been able to find a picture that looks exactly like her because she's so special. And overall it's hard to find pictures of women not wearing makeup or smiling.

Neal - I didn't want people to fuss over him, so he remained unaware of what was happening until he suddenly just dropped and never realized he was dying. He had tried to commit suicide earlier, so if Mitzi hadn't arrived, he would've already been dead a few days earlier. He really appreciated Mitzi. I also appreciated Mitzi as a fellow autism spectrum person (I assume that's what her behavior is implying). In a way she reminds me of Peridot from Steven Universe, trying to figure out how human world works. She's not evil but people often misunderstand her. It was also fun to quarrel with Miirkaelisaar occasionally. I never took it personally. I just thought it was funny. There should be more disagreeable characters in Cantr.

Alastair Reamer - He wasn't known by many people, but he was spawned with progeria, so he had a weak heart from the beginning. He was just a little bit tired and couldn't even find a cot to lie down in. He died standing up without even realizing what was happening. He had just returned from a long trip and was so happy to be home. I never drew him but generally people with progeria have a very sharp nose and weak chin, almost no hair and wrinkly skin. And yeah, the name is spelled Alastair, not Alistair, everybody kept misnaming him.

Downy - All she cared about during her last days was cake. She made three different kinds of cake before she died. She always swore she would never grow up, so she got her wish. She would've wanted to talk to Soleil if she had been aware that she was dying, but she never saw it coming. She would be glad that Suzie left before she died so she didn't have to watch her fall. I have a drawing of Downy but I never scanned it.

Olivia - My youngest Finnish character. Very unfortunate for Sherman who was left all alone in the town, but the Finnish region has been fading for a long time. It was fun while it lasted. My reasoning for her death was that she got bitten by a mosquito while they were crossing a swamp and caught malaria. She barely made it home. If traveling had taken one hour longer, I would've had her die on the road. I never drew a picture of her either but she was a country girl, plaid shirt, bright red Annie like hair, a very sharp tongue.

Suikula - My other Finnish character. He actually died back in October, but I didn't want to announce it back then in case some would go loot his grave over OOC reasons. He made preparations to die, then lit a candle and lay down to die of old age.

This picture has most of my characters mentioned here, missing just a few.

Feel free to PM me or message here, especially if you played someone who knew one of these characters.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Re: Goodbye Cantr

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

I didn't realize Jester was yours, but was creeped out by his situation because it made me think someone was going to kill their character and I imagined he was going to choke while trying to eat or drink.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

It's sad to see you going on but everything ends someday. I wish you all good and it was nice to play with you! I actually met at least at some point around 75% of those you played.

Olivia - My youngest Finnish character. Very unfortunate for Sherman who was left all alone in the town, but the Finnish region has been fading for a long time. It was fun while it lasted. My reasoning for her death was that she got bitten by a mosquito while they were crossing a swamp and caught malaria. She barely made it home. If traveling had taken one hour longer, I would've had her die on the road. I never drew a picture of her either but she was a country girl, plaid shirt, bright red Annie like hair, a very sharp tongue.

Probably no secret who played Sherman (cause newbs always pick same name lol) but for long time I had most fun playing finnish char with Olivia. Sad to see what finnish region has come to be but... Maybe.. just maybe we get new players
Last edited by sherman on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Olivia is now sitting on a cloud, playing a banjo.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:31 pm

MonkeyPants4736 wrote:I didn't realize Jester was yours, but was creeped out by his situation because it made me think someone was going to kill their character and I imagined he was going to choke while trying to eat or drink.

Originally he was going to suffocate to death but when Saren fixed the neck misalignment and he started having some control back, it wouldn't have made sense to have him choke anymore. I honestly had the feeling everybody was done with him and I didn't bother playing him anymore in the last few days.
Not-so-sad panda
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Jester with his shows was amazing if you ask me.. And Moyra was amazing too, with you specially finnish region lost a lot
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Goodbye, Seko. It's sad to see such a long time player leaving. I know that you said you felt less influential these past several months but I liked your younger characters.

I wondered if Jester was yours. There was a very similar character named Pilid that was similar to Jester. Was he also yours? Or maybe provided inspiration.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm

No, Pilid is not mine. I probably saw him perform at Klojt Festival but forgot about it. I wouldn't use the same idea twice anyway.
Not-so-sad panda
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 am

Ah Princess Meridian of the Apples. That one I am surprised by, as well as Pete. The rest I never met, though Suman sounds familiar.

Enjoy all the extra free time!
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:23 am

Moyra Katrina Kinsley! I actually met her with two different characters, I didn't realize it until just now, looking back through logs. I really liked her, and it's a pity the younger of the two I met Moyra with won't have a chance to talk with her again.
Monifa is the other one of your last group that I've met.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:45 pm

I somewhat remember Suman and I've met Meridian but I most recently remember Alastair. He was part of the reason I made that "quit misspelling their spoken names" post a few days back. (Also people tend to misspell some of my characters' names as well even though I don't think they're that hard or oddly spelled e.g. Zack instead of Zach.)

I don't think I've met Jester, but I think he and one of mine (a freaking ninja lol) would have made a great duo had they ever gotten together.

We'll miss you and your interesting characters, Seko.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm

I forgot to mention, it was an interesting twist that Alastair inherited my earlier character Cole's coat. In a way it felt like his purpose was to finish living the life that for Cole was cut short by a pirate.

I drew Olivia, btw.
Not-so-sad panda
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I was really enjoying your recent characters and the day you quit I fooled myself for being such an emo after all the time I spent in the green with some breaks. Is it possible to list your chars from the last years? Perhaps you already did under another topic, but I'd like to remember them.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 am

Genie wrote:I was really enjoying your recent characters and the day you quit I fooled myself for being such an emo after all the time I spent in the green with some breaks. Is it possible to list your chars from the last years? Perhaps you already did under another topic, but I'd like to remember them.

Yeah your past character list would be amazing if you can still copy/paste it from the character screen, but that might not be possible if the account is closed.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am

I didn't remember to save the character list before quitting but I had copied it earlier, and the few that weren't on it I could tell from the death emails).

Maline the artist (spawned alone in Blaman Mountains, died in Sjoftich)
Seko (Mulof North, spawned in Pak)
Sven Tufva (Swedish region, died on Ziemnia Polnocy among Spanish people)
Jaina Valjean (spawned in Quillanoi Forest west, ruler of Kiii)
Hannah Romain (spawned in Seatown Hills, one of the councilors of PFE)
Jonas Kooth aka Phoenix (a tailor who went crazy and terrorized the Xiria region)
Gahak Jordan (very arrogant)
Maryan Tusca (the first character I lost, she got killed by the cronies of Piers Anthony for assisting a carjacker drag people out of a van)
Dove McGregor (originally Trevol) (her friends got executed by the McGregors for poaching but no one saw her hunt on a road, so she was allowed to live and eventually got adopted by Jessamin)
Pharap Jahrot (inter-island trader)
Yvonne Rapothraw (K-island)
Lewis Parsley (spawned alone in the mountains near Querk and spent four years walking before he ever saw a living person)
Nayome (blind dancer, Naron)
Gunilla Ekholm (my second Swedish character, got torn apart by wild animals)
the Dark Incarnation ("please don't call me Darkie", a researcher of death. Before he was spawned, massacres were commonplace, but right around the time he spawned, tiredness was implemented to prevent the massacres)
Marceidus Starborn (believed she was from another planet, she had a girlfriend who was much older than her)
Jay (village idiot and guard in Brunoi. He really got screwed over by the implementation of skills and strength)
Bessie Rae Gardner (tailor in Lake Village, wife to Chauncey Gardner who was played by current husband)
Kenneth Ignathius (Quillanoi Forest, Rhea's boyfriend)
Keiran (an infamous pirate and rapist)
Coventina (leader of Klojt, very colorful history - my most complicated character ever)
Ninni Ruusupelto (my first Finnish character and the second ever Finnish character to be spawned in the world)
Secret (her real name was Haydee Beckett, but she only told very few people. She was enslaved by Alyssa Moore and once released, she no longer knew how to live as a free person)
Eevi Kuolemanenkeli (My second Finnish character. She hit some sleepers and stole a wooden cart, then went off to map a straight path very slowly until dying of starvation in the mountains)
Brighton Hakim (husband to Haley Harris Hakim, originally from LFE but went on to become the leader of Olip North after his spawn town was taken over by the Blackrocks)
Jack/Kalahata (spawned in Akypor, he originally decided to introduce himself with a different name in every town but ended up going with Jack. He was bisexual and had relationships with both men and women)
Ayana Calandria (Quillanoi Forest North, a very anxious person. I asked Doug to give her a heart attack back when he was still in PD because he owed me a favor.)
Suikula (my third Finnish character)
Faith/Roger (due to a trauma, he/she was under the impression that he/she was supposed to be a man)
Offering (from Brekklund on Aki island, stole a ship with Tyr and went on to become a philanthropist, but was interpreted as a bad person after cutting off Marble's foot, then abandoning him in jail in Tircqi)
Margaret (there are namesakes, but this is the one from Burgeo)
Elisandra "Pebbles" (a midget, girlfriend to Alice)
Blake Donovan (later known as the guy who invented seasonal color analysis)
Bernadine Aikens (spent most of her life in Baaak Hills South)
Cole Bach (Scarab Haunt, a tailor, boyfriend to Lynn, got tragically killed by a lone pirate)
Bryn (Fu, died among the Polish)
Hattie (Haven island, girlfriend to Esticar. Once they had a falling out, she just couldn't live anymore.)
Chiumbo (Aki island, spawned believing he had a mother who had lost him, but quickly moved on)
Dash (Tircqi, mentally delayed but very sweet. She was also oversensitive to gluten, which sometimes gave her a runny stomach.)
Celadonia (fashion designer)
Suki Conelly (dollmaker, Seatown Gardens, later Akypor)
Pessi (spawned with spina bifida, rendering him unable to walk or feel his legs)
Draft (he spawned in the town that was originally founded by one of Keiran's crew members, didn't like it so he wanders of without a shield and gets killed by wild animals)
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “General Discussion”