CANTR is growing again

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Re: CANTR is growing again

Postby MattWithoos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:13 am

Blackdeath wrote:Just fired up my account after being away for about 8 years (Spawned my first char back in 1024). The vibe has changed a bit, but there are still pockets of good RP.

I think new life can be breathed into it.

Welcome back!

I totally agree. There's heaps of options on the table, just a matter of finding the time to get it done!
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:01 am

Think of the age demographic of players at the peak around 8 or so years ago.

Alot of these people have grown up.
Gotten jobs.
Gotten Families.
Or just stopped finding the challenge?

I think that the challenge is finding those of a younger demo. But we are competing with things like WoW (I know its past its prime also) and a few other games that give the stunning visual explosions and blood that stimulate the eyes rather than the imagination.

Those who enjoy writing will always have a place here if their response is likewise. If they come here to write and are slaughtered arbitrarily, they will drop.

Whether it is legal within the game rules or not... the trolls will kill us as fast as perceptions of staff will.
One is trying to save it, the other?

Alas...
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 am

Who is that quote from? I am guessing it's from yourself?

I agree with most of it, however I have to strongly disagree that we're competing with WoW, or that we're competing for people's attention in a day and age of visual graphics. Cantr has co-existed with highly graphical games for it's entire existence. In fact, the peak of Cantr's population coincided with some of the highest populations in World of Warcraft.

There's always going to be a demographic for us to tap into. People still read books (as well as movies), they play DnD in-person (as well as WoW), and there'll always be more players out there. Every person I've told about Cantr who are not book nerds, not RP fanatics, not WoW players have said "that is a really cool concept". (they never followed through with their accounts for various reasons but that's another matter).

The core concept of Cantr is strong, and stronger than it's ever been. It's just a matter of motivation, effort and money to bring new players in. I'm taking all three of those on myself and if it's the last thing I do for Cantr, it'll be to give it it's renaissance. :x (that's my determined face)
Money

Postby Money » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:33 am

Cantr has barely been around long enough to experience any effects from generational drift, let alone major ones. Look for your destroyer somewhere else.

As for the subreddit I can't think of anyone checking it out before they already had some sense of the game.

The rules, which overly constrict the actions of the community, seem a fine candidate.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 am

Mafia Salad wrote:Since I started playing again 8 or so months ago the EZ has been pretty steady. Players bouncing from 160 to 175, characters from 1140 to 1230, we were at 161 and 1162 today. On the lower end of the range but not striking new lows or anything.

English players by language from... August or so 2015? While it certainly does have highs and lows, the general trend is still downwards.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:18 pm

There was 165 English players the day my account was reactivated, there were 161 yesterday. There has certainly been a downward trend for years, but it hasn't been evident either in the stats or from what I've seen in game since I've been back.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:08 pm

The numbers below are based on reports received on the dates mentioned. The reports were generated a couple of days previous because I wait a couple of days before having reports mailed.

Dec 31, 2015 (Day 4930)
• Number of players: 883
• Number of characters: 3851

Dec 31, 2016 (Day 5296)
• Number of players: 452
• Number of characters: 3085

To get a sense of Cantr's decline, look at the number of twenty-somethings successfully scavenging abandoned towns. It's like some post-apocalyptic movie, in which most of the human species has been wiped out.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:37 pm

If you ask me, there are many (MANY) ghost or dying towns. People is TOO scattered, and most of them are sleepers, waiting for some "interesting" thing to happen and wake up.
Culturally, CANTR is going down, as I see it. People should start gathering around the last big cities and start moving the economic (and cultural) chain again. That should make them feel part of something bigger.

That, plus I believe its time to have the ability of deconstruct or demolish buildings with given tiem. That would clear some spots with ruins that date from centuries ago.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:21 pm

and most of them are sleepers, waiting for some "interesting" thing to happen and wake up.

funny how they wait then they could do things themself too :) Like someone said on other thread before... EZ zone has many players that.. lack initiative and wait for others to do. Which is of course a circle if everyone or most await for others to do things.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Oh, come on. Most people lack of imagination. I released a bunch of characters with dwarfism into the world, and some of them are color people. While some are really serious, others are the soul of the party!!. Its just giving the first step into the pool and start swimming.

If you ask me why dwarfism... Well, its interesting. I have never seen dwarfs in a game before. Most of the time everyone wants to be the Apolo of the room, or at least someone unique and interesting (fearful is a commonly taken option). But a dwarf? And I still have a slot for a color rastafari dwarf with dreadlocks!! I would like to make it speak like a cuban, to give some spice and taste to the game; that warm feeling of... SALSA!!
No. Too much. Whatever. Its just jumping into the pool. If you don´t see a leader moving the gears... Then be yourself the leader!!
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:57 pm

There was a dwarf or two but probably before you joined and they are deceased now.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:There was a dwarf or two but probably before you joined and they are deceased now.

One? Or two? I realeased SSSSSIIIXXX... And thats because the other six characters came first, and Im reserving the last 2 slots for something... Important.

You know what? I would like a town ran and made by dwarves, and that those guys believe they are a different race, or maybe humans choosen by a dwarf god, or something weird like that. A closed community of dwarves...
But thats not gonna happen.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 pm

I played a dwarf once. She had to use blocks of wood on the car pedals to reach them, her legs were that short.
Not-so-sad panda
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:05 am

I once played a dwarf who later got involved in a war. Also for whatever reason, characters around her roleplayed like she was a faster runner than all of them even though she was stated to have had severe micromelia.

I know of two dwarves who were frigging hilarious and adorable together. I'm sure others have already referred to them in this discussion. :)
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:37 am

I enjoyed playing a dwarf... but he had his heart broken and I felt an obligation to let him starve.

Still, a dwarf in a kilt who liked to ride a tricycle...

The visuals were grotesque and (to me) a bit hilarious.
It was by chance that he met another and feel in love at a tragic time for the game in general.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”