If you could spawn in a location of your choice, where would that be?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

If you could spawn in a location of your choice, where would that be?

Postby SekoETC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 pm

I have spawned 9 characters within the last 365 days. Usually I'm disappointed in where I land, but then again, I'm not sure what I'm expecting to see. If I could pick a location, I don't think I could make that choice. Three of the characters spawned in locations where I have previously spawned characters, while a fourth spawned in a location where one of my characters lived for decades, even though that character had spawned elsewhere. After 12 years I have seen pretty much all of Cantr. Pretty much the only major places none of my characters have ever visited are Hislands and the Turkish isle, and I feel like English characters shouldn't go there anyway. I feel like if I did still spawn somebody, I would just be setting myself up for a disappointment. I have too much OOC knowledge of the world to have the same sense of wonder as a new player. I should be just concentrating on my existing characters but it's sort of tempting to see what one could accomplish in less than three months.

A lot of players accomplish a lot in a matter of months, then quit. Meanwhile, it generally takes me about 600 days before a character of mine is established enough that I actually care about them. In the past I have had older main characters that I have concentrated on, but now I only have one character over the age of 50, and even he is not very active.

When I was new, my characters had background stories and that made them deeper. They also weren't afraid of traveling. Later they grew roots and forgot about their background stories. When I first started (in the early 800s), I spawned 11 characters almost back to back, then I started slowing down. The 1000s were a time of big changes and developments, also the beginning of the Finnish region. Between days 1098 and 1803 I only spawned one character (and that was Coventina). That's probably when I was most attached to my characters overall. There was a lot of good stuff in the 2000s. It started going downhill in the 3000s, if I can generalize. Lots of boring things. The 4000s were no better. The golden days were past. I wonder what happened. Did I change or did the world change?
Not-so-sad panda
MattWithoos

Re: If you could spawn in a location of your choice, where would that be?

Postby MattWithoos » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 am

:lol:
Last edited by MattWithoos on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 pm

The only problem with that is that 99% of the time, it's literally just people burying your corpse and frowning and then never mentioning it again.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:07 pm

:P
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:07 am

I'd probably spawn one in Blackrock Forest. I feel like spawning there would be a different experience than what is typical.

I don't have a whole lot of interest in the vast unknown of Cantr. I want to interact with other characters not get attacked by unusual animals while eating a new vegetable.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Mafia Salad wrote:I'd probably spawn one in Blackrock Forest. I feel like spawning there would be a different experience than what is typical.

I have to second this, actually. I had a Blackrock once, but was fairly inactive at the time. I'd like to see what happens were I to spawn among them again.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:43 pm

I would spawn anywhere that is nowhere close to my other characters.

Recently I've started some new ones and it's the weirdest thing. Three of them are already connected to one another through mutual characters. Which happens, I know, but as big as the Cantr world is you'd think seven characters could avoid one another.
Last edited by Black Canyon on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Each time I spawn someone, I swear to myself that this will be the last one. I'm really bad at keeping my word.
Not-so-sad panda
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 pm

I would spawn, well. it depends. Some characters would like to spawn in busy towns, some would like to be somewhere distant and hermit-like, playing "oldschool survival Cantr". And depending on my mood and inspiration, that all depends.
That said, I'd love to find Haven again. lol Someday... I'm a horrible sailor IRL apparently, which translates to all my sailor characters inheriting that Awkward skill. :P
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Once one of my characters tried to go to Haven and followed the directions, yet never found it. He came to the conclusion that the map must be inaccurate.
Not-so-sad panda
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm

SekoETC wrote:Once one of my characters tried to go to Haven and followed the directions, yet never found it. He came to the conclusion that the map must be inaccurate.

Same. I'm told that it's possible to sail right through parts of the island chain so if you miss a day or two of checking the location page you might sail right past without realizing it. Or the maps are wrong.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 pm

or you are with an incompetent captain.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:28 am

My ship was so fast that I'm pretty sure that I sailed over the islands both ways there and back. I couldn't remember to check every day.
Not-so-sad panda
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Millhouse wrote:
SekoETC wrote:Once one of my characters tried to go to Haven and followed the directions, yet never found it. He came to the conclusion that the map must be inaccurate.

Same. I'm told that it's possible to sail right through parts of the island chain so if you miss a day or two of checking the location page you might sail right past without realizing it. Or the maps are wrong.

Continuing Off-topically...

I have first hand experience with those ... shall we say "shifting Sandbars" and ...er... Rivers under the trees, like a Mangrove Forest.... around those islands, long ago... ;) Waters run deep around there, indeed. 8)
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller

Return to “General Discussion”