Dory massacre (split from Coventina)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

muidoido

Re: Coventina

Postby muidoido » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Well, if you add to your comment that the programming is done by volunteers, for free, and that the game is also free for us to play, there's a damn great possibility that something can be overlooked by the programmers from time to time, and we as players, should warn them about any bugs or glitchs or problems with the game, not use it to ruin everybody else's fun.
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:56 pm

SekoETC wrote:1) Nobody had taken into account that anybody could have enough tea to murder 30+ people because tea was so slow to make.
2) There was no stomach limit at the time, so you could cure tiredness and wounds indefinitely.
3) It was believed that the massacrists communicated outside the game to organize the timing.

I'm not going to start a discussion on these three points, but what I would like to know is if cantr is supposed to be slow paced, why were MAJOR changes to the game implemented immediately and no chance given to the other side to "reset" as well. In particular, had it been known tea would be disabled, I doubt an attack on a major population would have been conducted.

The situation was handled quite poorly wouldn't you agree?
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:04 pm

muidoido wrote: There's a damn great possibility that something can be overlooked by the programmers from time to time, and we as players, should warn them about any bugs or glitchs or problems with the game, not use it to ruin everybody else's fun.

Tea wasn't a glitch. It may not have been what the designers of the game intended, but it was no glitch.

As for ruining everyone else's fun, I think a lot of people had fun due to the presence of (some) evil in the game. The Dory massacre was the last time a truly organized Machiavellian group conducted an attack on a city in Cantr. People may not have liked having their character die, but they could have always made another character and built a new story. As for those characters who lived to tell the tale, the attack on Xanth and Dory was likely the most eventful event in their characters life. How was it not fun?
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Wolfsong wrote:If Cantr is supposed to be a slow game, why code in all these instant practices like dragging, tea, healing food, etc., in the first place? It's bad programming that apparently goes against the spirit of the game.

Poor design and mechanics result in hurt feelings.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:31 pm

Shit, after going through my emails more closely I just realized that the revives weren't actually related to the tea massacre at all, but the time a hacker killed everyone in Doryiskom. That's why no one remembers the revives, because this massacre wouldn't be in the history books because only a few people remained dead and their deaths would've showed up as heart attacks. This was in 2010. I thought it was the same thing, but it was just my memory playing tricks on me. So nobody was actually revived after the tea massacre. Sorry for the confusion.
Not-so-sad panda
muidoido

Coventina

Postby muidoido » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:42 pm

LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I wasn't playing when all of this happened.
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:12 pm

SekoETC wrote:Shit, after going through my emails more closely I just realized that the revives weren't actually related to the tea massacre at all, but the time a hacker killed everyone in Doryiskom.

That just confirms the fact that the staff found no evidence to prove cheating was involved with the Dory massacre. Just to clarify.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

To go off topic - From looking at old threads it was not a hacker who killed the players in Doryskom but an upset staff member using PD tools was it not ?

The hacking was the DDOS attack and then the actual hack of the wiki and game.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Money

Postby Money » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:55 am

Seko you almost gave me an aneurism lol. I was getting so riled up reading about it.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 am

That makes more sense. I can understand rezzing dead characters because of an unbalanced staff member abusing their power. Rezzing people because of a clever use of game mechanics though...
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 am

Jaxon wrote:
muidoido wrote: There's a damn great possibility that something can be overlooked by the programmers from time to time, and we as players, should warn them about any bugs or glitchs or problems with the game, not use it to ruin everybody else's fun.

Tea wasn't a glitch. It may not have been what the designers of the game intended, but it was no glitch.

As for ruining everyone else's fun, I think a lot of people had fun due to the presence of (some) evil in the game. The Dory massacre was the last time a truly organized Machiavellian group conducted an attack on a city in Cantr. People may not have liked having their character die, but they could have always made another character and built a new story. As for those characters who lived to tell the tale, the attack on Xanth and Dory was likely the most eventful event in their characters life. How was it not fun?

For many it wasn't so fun at all and I pity them if this was the greatest event for some players. It's not always easy to have characters you can feel connected so spawning a new char isn't so relaxing for some. There was always some evil in the game, there' s still even though some people don't find it enough. Also I remember someone openly wrote in forum that he hopes we learned our lesson and saw his power.
By the way I am not whinning after my dead characters because none of them died in the massacre. Did I miss all the fun now? Oh wait, seeing people dropping dead in a blink of an eye was awesome!
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 pm

I think what's missing from all of this discussion is that the NDS wasn't available at the time. I've been sitting on the fence about where I stand, but given there wasn't an NDS at the time, I'm not sure how a pirate raiding party could have done what they wanted to do without finishing everyone off. At the end of the day, the attack seemed to go against the ethos of Cantr (not allowing a retaliation, not even allowing some RP).

Maybe let's re-rail the thread to Coventina and if anyone wants to, create a new thread for the massacre discussion?

Return to “General Discussion”