Dory massacre (split from Coventina)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jaxon

Dory massacre (split from Coventina)

Postby Jaxon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:00 am

Couldn't change the boat course after the Dory massacre. Only one person had the key to the room and his account was locked pending an "investigation." By the time he "woke up" you guys were upon the boat. Oh and tea became obsolete upon immediate nerfing. Booooo.
SekoETC

Re: Coventina

Postby SekoETC » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:58 am

Um, as far as I remember, the ship started making some defensive maneuvers when we were really close, so judging by that, the person steering it was unlocked before we had time to board. Unless I remember completely wrong. It has been a long time.
Not-so-sad panda
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:16 pm

SekoETC wrote:Um, as far as I remember, the ship started making some defensive maneuvers when we were really close, so judging by that, the person steering it was unlocked before we had time to board. Unless I remember completely wrong. It has been a long time.

That was my character that had to break out of the room we locked ourselves and a captive in. By the time my character could get out I saw a boat giving chase and it was too late.

The plan originally was to go offshore out of telescope range to regroup, discuss a new time for all 4 to be awake, invade the town, have someone take back the vehicle to the emerald republic, and have someone else take the boat. Unfortunately, tea was immediate nerfed and some accounts were locked. The unplanned change in game mechanics could not be compensated for.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:23 pm

I don't think we ever would've caught you if that guy hadn't had his account locked. Our only reasoning for continuing in the same direction was that if you did turn left or right after getting out of sight, eventually you would land up in another town and it would be their business to fight you. It's a shame that it wasn't a fair fight. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. For making such big waves, they didn't deserve such a shitty end. It would've been much more dramatic if there had been no revives in Doryiskom, and I appreciate the people who chose to leave their characters dead and accept what happened. Some of the people who were told their characters were to be revived never replied to the emails, so they were revived just in case so that they would have no reason to complain later on, but many of them were sleepers that had already given up on the game.
Not-so-sad panda
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Undead in Doryiskom? I missed this? :cry:
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:26 am

muidoido wrote:Undead in Doryiskom? I missed this? :cry:

Me too, apparently. So... dead characters were revived?
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
notsure

Postby notsure » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:55 am

I'm not sure where the "undead revived in Doryiskom" thing came from. I assure you that my charrie who was massacred was never brought back, nor did I as the player receive any emails asking me what I wanted to do.

notsure :\
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:01 am

SekoETC wrote:I don't think we ever would've caught you if that guy hadn't had his account locked. Our only reasoning for continuing in the same direction was that if you did turn left or right after getting out of sight, eventually you would land up in another town and it would be their business to fight you. It's a shame that it wasn't a fair fight. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. For making such big waves, they didn't deserve such a shitty end. It would've been much more dramatic if there had been no revives in Doryiskom, and I appreciate the people who chose to leave their characters dead and accept what happened. Some of the people who were told their characters were to be revived never replied to the emails, so they were revived just in case so that they would have no reason to complain later on, but many of them were sleepers that had already given up on the game.

It would not have been the end for my character if I could justify in my head a reason to play him, but I couldn't. Nerfing tea, locking accounts, and reviving players was social engineering of a society simulator.

If my character was caught without changes to game mechanics and placed in a cell, I would have rp'd him until he was either executed or the character's story drew to a close (such as permanent isolation in a cell). However, when the mechanics changed I felt like that woman from the matrix going "not like this, not like this" haha.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:43 am

notsure wrote:I'm not sure where the "undead revived in Doryiskom" thing came from. I assure you that my charrie who was massacred was never brought back, nor did I as the player receive any emails asking me what I wanted to do.

notsure :\

We sent an email to 29 people (if I counted correctly) who got massacred there in the address that was attached to their account. If your address wasn't up to date, that would explain why you didn't get it. I assumed that was everybody. It looks like 10 of them replied and some of them said they're okay with leaving the character dead. If you say your character's name, I can check if they were within the ones contacted.
Not-so-sad panda
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:56 am

So... Wait, why was anyone brought back at all?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:01 pm

1) Nobody had taken into account that anybody could have enough tea to murder 30+ people because tea was so slow to make.
2) There was no stomach limit at the time, so you could cure tiredness and wounds indefinitely.
3) It was believed that the massacrists communicated outside the game to organize the timing.

Based on these it was deemed that the deaths were unfair towards the victims of the players, because it was based on an oversight of programming and possible CRB.

It was intended that once stomach got implemented, energy restoratives would be made more effective again, but this never happened.
Not-so-sad panda
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:58 pm

OOC communication is one thing, but programming the game to be a certain way and then getting butthurt when people figure out how to use existing mechanics to pull off crazy stunts? That isn't abuse. That's silly.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:11 pm

It ain't silly. It was a new feature that those players bent to avoid one of the more important characteristics of the game! Cantr is supposed to be slow paced. The key word being SSSLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW. If any crew can wipe out an entire town in minutes, knowing the opposite part wouldn't be awake in time to fight back, using a new feature that wasn't well implemented, it is unfair play, thus the need of intervention.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:32 pm

If Cantr is supposed to be a slow game, why code in all these instant practices like dragging, tea, healing food, etc., in the first place? It's bad programming that apparently goes against the spirit of the game.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 pm

If slow-paced was used as an excuse, staff could get involved when ever someone gets a group together to kill or imprison a large amount of people, even if they planned it ingame, just because it goes against the slow-paced nature of the game. That leads into no one ever trying anything to stir things up because it would lead into their account getting locked or deaths reversed. This leads to stagnation.

People should accept that it's possible their characters can die violently if they cross someone, or if they own something valuable, or as collateral damage to one of the aforementioned. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be playing at all.

In the other hand, people who kill characters should aim to make the death an enjoyable experience to the player of the victim. If you have someone locked up and they have about 0% chance of escaping, interact with them, give them another chance if possible, and give them a few days to get adjusted to the situation. Often when a player has their character locked up, the first day they WILL take it personally over 50% of the time, so they need time to cool down. It's good if a captor doesn't gloat like "haha, we caught you and you never saw it coming". If the other player says OOC that they don't want to rp the situation, respect that and stop rp'ing with them, but if not then assume they expect some human interaction, instead of a wall of attack messages. Especially if you have healing food, you can afford to stay in the same room with a prisoner. There's no need to run in and out quickly to avoid being hit. It's much more respectable if the captor just stands there and goes something like "Seriously, what do you think you will accomplish by attacking me?" Maybe the victim feels better if they can hit someone or attempt to break a lock before they get hacked down or forced to drop their weapon.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “General Discussion”