Split from Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

HFrance

Split from Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:There's a TV Tropes page but it looks very much like someone in a rather bitter mood has edited parts of it to highlight all of the weirdest parts. Tidying up (if only by adding more examples of the less out-there behaviours) and extending the page and adding relevant Cantr examples to trope pages could be useful.

I've never edited a TV Tropes page before though, so it's more than a slightly daunting prospect for me.

There untruthful things and evil there (ex.: Mao)
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
SekoETC

Re: Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 pm

It was iavatus who wrote most of those things. In a way the article follows what a TV tropes article should look like, but I assume most people who read it will think Cantr is awful and the staff is full of little Hitlers. It also has some misinformation. For example, I'm pretty sure that it's not allowed to expose outsiders to your sex scenes, consensual or not, without asking OOC if they're over 18 and okay with it.

Fan Nickname: Tenmouths, Sighmoku, Timmies, Trenchies pollinated from Urban Dead with an extra sprinkling of tryhard, The Raperman Cycle, The Spanish Country

People stopped using these terms pretty much after the clique multi-quit the game.

A most our-favourite-word example, involves a ~140 year old mundane man looking like Vash but even prettier See for yourself the character owners impression of him. [1].

This is making fun of Raaj Kellan. Outsiders won't get it and it certainly doesn't define the game. Sure there are a lot of handsome characters with scars, but it doesn't make this an anime game.

Mao: Possibly the only way to experience Mao without playing it, is to play Cantr. From the forum rules that are visible "Discussion of (rule breaking) is not allowed." "Only generalisation of rules is allowed" "Complaints about staff are to be made to staff, and only in private". There's a lot more rules that aren't available, not to mention it's a rare case when the player is informed of which rule was broken, or the evidence. The 'logic' behind, is that players who knew the rules, would evidently work their Loophole Abuse magic, as propounded by one staffer who is fondly referred to as the Goat Wormhole (You put in a valid argument, and the response is a goat. Any further comment is referred back to the goat. "What do you mean, it's not a good goat? See, four hooves and everything").

The goat thing is making fun of Sanchez.

The game is a social simulator after all, and what better way to simulate North Korea and Soviet Russia then hiding the gamefield, until a misstep and Land Mine Goes Click.

This is implying to the perceived injustice towards certain players who have since quit.

From the game creator: "It's very important that we make that very explicit, so that we do not suggest that people cannot criticize staff. That's bad." From a recently promoted staffmember "Any further criticism will result in a ban". Have fun walking the line!

Not very flattering at all.

Don't touch the staff's precious snowflake town, known as Smoku (The other name is hideously out of place). Any actions taken in regard to this town are under the microscope, and if deemed against the staff's interest, welll......

This is implying that PD involved with stopping Raaj's kidnapping if I understood correctly.

Out-of-Character Moment: As mentioned previously, for when the player (as differentiated from the character) needs to speak to other players (again, different from characters), the standard of OOC: is used. This hasn't stopped longwinded rants when the player (different from character) has been upset or annoyed by some ingame event, and decided to use the power of Talking Is a Free Action. An especially Egregious and amusing for all involved example, involved the word Shutup, 87 times in the space of a minute.

Talking Is a Free Action: You can be sewing, driving a car, eating food and listening to the radio. Doesn't stop the character from using their iron lungs to expound a wall of words on whatever subject is foremost in their mind, only limit being how fast the player can type. Or paste into the textbox.

These two are replying to when Avren and some others bullied a certain character ingame up to a point where the player lost their temper and started apparently copypasting the same line over and over again until they would stop. It has been posted in the Funny Quotes thread even though it's not funny. It's similar to bullying in school.

Running the Asylum: As mentioned in the introduction, the creator has largely left the game, leaving it to some staff to manage things. Over time, this has resulted in what has been referred to as the Internet Illness. Basically, any person getting a chance to live out their powertrip fantasies, and going for broke. Hilarity Ensues
Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: See above. This is part of what makes the game fascinating, watching the mental gymnastics performed to justify punishing one person and not another, for the same infraction.

This is basically saying that if you have staff connections, you can break the CR and get away with it, whereas if you have upset certain staff members, you can get punished even if you are or were a staff member, not naming any names.

Shared Family Quirks: "Pry gonna pry something". "Pry good idea".

More explanation. This family/group/clan has a habit of dropping most of the letters away from probably, and talking about the most inane subjects for hours on end. Hence their nickname of, the Pry Clan.

Again, only a certain clique used this term. They no longer play. I think Arianna is a great character and if she has influenced other people to say pry instead of probably, that's great ingame culture that I wish happened in other places.

The Guards Must Be Crazy: What often can happen when sleepers (players who barely wake up, thus don't really know what's going on around them), new characters or new players get promoted to leadership roles. Special mention must go to the man who chased a boat ... in a van. Needless to say, he didn't achieve very much, but became the butt of jokes for a long, long time. See also Ax-Crazy, for the other mode guards switch between.

The Landbased Zuzi Navy has always been a force to be feared. Doubly amusing, as they were chasing pirates, who did do things.

No one is going to remember this incident in a while. Sure it's stupid to go attack pirates with a van when your town has multiple ships at hand, but it's not particularly good advertisement for Cantr. Also it's glorifying the pirate crew in question.
Not-so-sad panda
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:31 pm

SekoETC wrote:It was iavatus who wrote most of those things.

Grateful for the information.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 pm

The fact he posted it on this forum, on the tropes page, in game and in several other online resources under his own name is a dead giveaway :wink:
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Fortunately Iavatus's ramblings are so scattered that very few would bother to read it.
As I was diving into it, I kept waiting and thinking 'get to the point'.
He did... then I asked: "Now prove it!"
He did not... and his reputation as an academic (self proclaimed of course) was tarnished that I no longer really worried that he could damage us.
...and there are other things.

If anyone would like a much shorter glimpse of his writings, he was quite fond of self-adulation in the "funny quotes" thread.

This is short and to the point (for him).
viewtopic.php?p=563420#p563420

A language warning on this one: viewtopic.php?p=558347#p558347

Really he dominates that whole page... for those who think its funny...your welcome. For those who don't...My apologies, its not required reading.

At least you can get a glimpse into the man himself if you wish.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 pm

The above post is off topic and should probably be removed.
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 pm

I think it is important Wolfsong - the question is whether or not we update the Tropes website and we need to figure out if Iavatus' edit is malicious or not. I suspect it is thanks to that post and now we can move forward with editing that as a good place to advertise Cantr.

MOAR LINKS PLZ! I'll even do some of the advertising if I get a good set of links to work on!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:09 am

a. You must always be respectful of other members of the forum.

g. Accusations against other players or staff are not permitted in public forums.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:37 am

How is it an accusation when someone writes under their known nick? It's merely stating a fact.
Not-so-sad panda
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 pm

The content of the thread had drifted long before the post... nobody said a thing.

1. He is not a member. Not only did he hack into the game and irc numerous times (and may still be in both), but he also posted untruths in the tropes website. The fact that somebody in staff did not respond for over 6 months reflected great restraint on the part of those who were taking the misrepresentations on the chin and also, there was not an effective PR department presence. We will deal with this on the tropes page after we deal with it here. Its a shame that he chose to hack into us when we could not respond... You talk of petty?
We want to give a person a chance to reply and argue with themselves...their own posts?

2. This is matter is now closed. No further posts either for or against the tropes page will be honored or allowed. They will be deleted without comment and warnings will be issued to the posters. We have seen greater measures taken and do not fear them again.

The content of the tropes page will be changed, I have endless energy and no job. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as was so deftly pointed out; we are looking for places to advertise and post comments (good or bad, you have that choice; as you should). You can merely vote on some of websites listed below your character list. I would hope that those who truly want to continue playing the game might be willing to give 2 minutes out of your day. If you don't choose to vote... we respect that. If you don't choose to vote positive, one must ask what are your motivations for being here? Schadenfreude by someone who chooses to stay? Disingenuous at best I would submit.

Lets continue the recent good feelings that have reemerged on this forum and see how we can continue to support our RD dept who has been very busy giving us new foods, new machines, new monuments and buildings and new efforts. I won't comment on PD other than to say that they are the hardest working department in the game (Merely my opinion based on 6.5 yrs of observation). Your progD dept continues to enact new stuff; Greek and his team are darn good at what they do... I mean these people are good. Cantr changes and brings you new options.
=============

Two other "competing" games are in progress now. We support both of these games and hope that finally more options would be given to our users. In doing so, we have freely allowed the creators and their agents to advertise for free on our forum... our of our goodwill. Hopefully those creators will see that these games can co-exist rather than compete. For those interested in these other games I refer you to their discussions on this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=27818 This is labmud or 'futuremud' and its being designed by Wolfsongs husband. From what I have seen, he is very talented and the product has a good future.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=27844 This one is tentatively called "Otherworld" and our own Seko and Returner are designing it. With that pool of talent, I have a feeling that something really good is in store also.

I want to edit this to add Mariosa that Littlesoul has been working on. She is another one that I cannot praise enough for her knowledge and pleasant personality also. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23852

"Blowing out someone elses candle does not make yours burn any brighter"

We know that there may be a competition for users here. I would just hope that, for the sake of those users, that the competition is done by creating a superior product... not by blowing out the other candle or tearing one down. We encourage other developments and always have.

Here though... we encourage our own product and are pleased to offer it to you and hope that you will respond positively.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
altoids

Postby altoids » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Alladinsane wrote:1. He is not a member. Not only did he hack into the game and irc numerous times (and may still be in both),

That's a pretty serious charge. If you believe that he has hacked into the Cantr servers you should contact law enforcement. Not sure what you mean about hacking into irc.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:07 pm

altoids wrote:That's a pretty serious charge. If you believe that he has hacked into the Cantr servers you should contact law enforcement. Not sure what you mean about hacking into irc.

He didn't hack into the server itself and he didn't really do the type of damage that would require law enforcement. Let's leave it at that.

I agree that we shouldn't be attacking specific people, though I think Alladinsane's post is okay on the principle that because what Iavatus posted is a public offense to Cantr, a public defense against what he's posted is appropriate.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Regarding the "hacking" stuff - didn't he just circumvent an IP ban? Not exactly hacking, especially if he isn't using a static IP in the first place. Reset router, boom, become scary hacker?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Split from Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am

Off topic posts split and closed, because the discussion is about accusations against a specific person.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Discussion”