Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 am

I had a great idea - let's crowdsource places we could share Cantr.

Why would you want to do this? So we get more players!

Your level of involvement can be as simple as sharing a link to a place you think could be good for Cantr, all the way through to actually sharing a bit of a description/advert for Cantr.

Bonus points if you are well-known or respected in the target forum/community. More bonus points if you help collaboratively draft an advertisement! Maybe we could all work together on drafting something in the Wiki.

At minimum - it would be fantastic if you just shared a link (and maybe a short description of the forum, and why it would be good to advertise Cantr there).
Rmak

Re: Share a website, forum or place we could advertise Cantr!

Postby Rmak » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:29 am

Something awful.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:44 pm

An important place to advertise:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Josh ... Cantr_II_2

For years now Cantr has been rejected from the English Wikipedia, but before we use to get a lot of traffic from there.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Why should Cantr get a Wikipedia page when thousands of other browser games don't? Wasn't it rejected from having a page because the page was outright advertising, which is disallowed in Wikipedia entries?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:59 pm

It wasn't outright advertising. It was rejected because it simply didn't have enough proper citations or something.

ETA: I am neutral on whether it has a page; it may be no more or less deserving than others. I just remember it was more of an informational page, not advertising. But I could be remembering wrong. I mostly remember people trying to save it.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:26 pm

ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:39 pm

There's a TV Tropes page but it looks very much like someone in a rather bitter mood has edited parts of it to highlight all of the weirdest parts. Tidying up (if only by adding more examples of the less out-there behaviours) and extending the page and adding relevant Cantr examples to trope pages could be useful.

I've never edited a TV Tropes page before though, so it's more than a slightly daunting prospect for me.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:23 am

I think linking quotes from forums and IRC is an excellent idea, as we can get to see "an insight into the people themselves" but it seems pretty petty to be honest given the person cannot reply.

Hopefully anyone that edits it can understand what the tvtropes website is actually about.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:58 am

I am about to wander off into the internetless nowhere camping for the long weekend, but I might have a go at the TV Tropes page when I get back. I'm not exactly sure about edit etiquette on there but I can hopefully at least add some more rational and representative stuff.
rd1988
Location: Piękne miasto smogu, korków, dziurawych ulic i kiboli.

Postby rd1988 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 pm

MattWithoos wrote:I had a great idea - let's crowdsource places we could share Cantr.

That's a great idea. For 2003 marketing.

Now, maybe we'll focus on SEO Social Link Building and Pagerank?
:twisted:
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Why not do both things?
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

If you're proposing labmud/future mud as a source of advertising, I've got some sad news to share, haha. It's a tiny project that mostly only caters to the RPI community of MUD users... Not going to be the site that generates regrowth and revenue for Cantr. I wouldn't call posting about it here advertising, either - again, there aren't really enough people left who play Cantr to make advertising here worthwhile, especially for an unreleased MUD engine in mid-Alpha. I do enjoy getting playtesters from non-MUDs though, which is what Cantr has been superbly useful for, since it offers a "newbie" perspective that our regulars lack, as they (and ourselves) have been MUDding for the past 12+ years and take a lot of commands for granted. (For example, I had a Cantr player typing leave instead of quit to exit the game.)

You could try advertising in MUD communities in general, but I found it hard to generate interest there for Cantr back when it was thriving, so it would be doubly hard to sell the game as it is now. MUD players are used to fast paced games and more instant gratification, robust coded systems, etc. Unrestricted PvP, and permadeath, are other things some people expect, and might find missing in Cantr. Every single one I ever brought to this game bowed out quickly due to boredom. There isn't really as much competition or overlap as you think. As one mate put it, "it almost sounds interesting when you talk about it, if you forget how boring it actually is."

As someone else said, if you want to advertise, do it for 2016, not 2003.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:33 pm

To make things clear, I don't want to encourage anybody to quit Cantr - (unless they truly feel miserable playing it). We're trying to find ways to reduce the time required to play Otherworld, so that people won't be forced to choose one or the other but will be able to play both if they so choose. We know that there are some features that have been requested into Cantr but will never be implemented, such as children (or dozens of fruit and vegetables). Otherworld provides an alternative where people are born rather than spawned. Without the weightload of legacy code, we'll be able to design things from scratch, things that couldn't exist in Cantr because the change would be too big.
Not-so-sad panda
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 pm

In the case of Otherworld, Marwhatsit and the one in progress by fiz/fixit - they're all slow-paced browser games. You can play them all simultaneously. Modern browsers have tabs. You don't need to worry about competition there because they are all very capable of surviving side by side.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks Seko and WS... I just wanted people to know you are both hard at work.

Some of us are eager to see your finished products. :)
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “General Discussion”