Custom description items

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Custom description items

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 am

I don't know if anyone else shares this feeling... But I get an OOC feeling when I see custom-described objects, places and vehicles.

I haven't always felt this way towards them. I don't know how to describe it. But it makes me OOCly and ICly value these objects extremely so. Like a weapon with a detailed description outlining how it was specially crafted, or even a simple candle described a certain way. I put sooooo much disproportionate value on these things.

It's multiplied 100x over if the item belonged to, or was even made by, someone my character was close with.

Does anyone else feel a disproportionate or almost irrational love for these kinds of items?

I am beginning to focus on making these from now on. It's a lasting legacy and at least for me they're incredibly valuable.
Alladinsane

Re: Custom description items

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:39 am

There is some discussion elsewhere about this...
I like the fact that an item may have a "history" and wonder if that might increase its perceived value.
One of my characters was long ago award Naedells dagger for his placement in a sparring contest.
He is long dead and I wonder if the owner now even knows its history...or cares.
Or if it is crumbling away inside a locked room somewhere?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:44 am

I have a primitive character who collects custom items in another language with unintelligible symbols for her. She considers they are mystical and very special.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 pm

I'm a big fan of custom items. Most of my characters are too and would be willing to pay twice or more the time it took to make them for something the like.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Love custom descriptions...

So much so that one of my characters has everything that could be customized is customized in her home.

All my characters that do any sort of crafting all make custom designs and only custom..otherwise what is the point of making it .....at least in my opinion...

My only problem with it is when I see someone awkwardly working on an item that says it is a masterpiece of craftsmanship, or something similar....come on.... be honest. (ran across this just the other day actually)

One of my chars really wants to carve ...and she does...novicely..and all her carvings are very primitive because of it....eventually she will improve as will her sculptures.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 pm

I, too, only craft custom items and can't imagine bothering to make anything if it couldn't be customized. Before we had the feature I customized everything through notes and roleplay, which is unreliable and tedious for passing items around and the customization easily gets lost. Having the items themselves hold the customizations is by far the best feature in all of Cantr. Seeing them turn up again in places you'd never expect makes the world so much more real.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”