Less Conflict?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

knazari

Less Conflict?

Postby knazari » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:07 pm

So I'm a very old player who recently returned to Cantr. The last time I was here there was a lot of conflict and violence and concerns about pirates going on. Since I rejoined a couple months ago, I've seen none of that. Has crime in cantr decreased or have I just not spawned in the right areas?
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Re: Less Conflict?

Postby sherman » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:10 pm

It's more or less new spawn thieves now days but there's still conflict on game too. Just less
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
knazari

Postby knazari » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah, from what I've seen, there even seems to be less newspawn thieves, or concern about newspawn thieves. People seem less harsh and more laid back overall.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Definitely less conflict. I figure there are a few reasons.

Fewer people who are more spread out, anyone who's had to share a room with a sibling knows proximity breeds hostility.

Ample resources so less competition over them.

And the biggest reason that I can see is that players who drive conflict and intrigue frequently run afoul of the CR and get banned.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:17 am

And as a result people like to make a storm in a teacup over the slightest thing in order to make conflict
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:06 am

People who drive conflict are more heavily scrutinized by staff, so it's easy to get nitpicked for a CR issue (especially when it's hard to know definitely what is and isn't against the rules) and banned. Other people are then less eager to drive conflict.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Rmak wrote:And as a result people like to make a storm in a teacup over the slightest thing in order to make conflict

That has always been the case. Even before there was tea in Cantr. :D

Wolfsong wrote:People who drive conflict are more heavily scrutinized by staff, so it's easy to get nitpicked for a CR issue (especially when it's hard to know definitely what is and isn't against the rules) and banned. Other people are then less eager to drive conflict.

Shhhh...I didn't wan't to go there. *he glances back and forth quickly and rubs his hands nervously* They're watching you know. Always watching, always reading.

It's not just the staff, it starts with the playerbase. If you get blindsided and discover that your beloved 92 year old town leader got killed by a well coordinate attack while you were in the shower, you're a lot more likely to ask the staff to open an investigation then if the feebleminded bone shield maker in town keeps refering to his cousins and Beyonce.

That just adds to the challenge. There is always a big blind bet in high stakes games.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:45 pm

knazari wrote:So I'm a very old player who recently returned to Cantr. The last time I was here there was a lot of conflict and violence and concerns about pirates going on. Since I rejoined a couple months ago, I've seen none of that. Has crime in cantr decreased or have I just not spawned in the right areas?

I think it's not very common lately and once bitten is twice shy after the problems happened in Cantira's past. Anyway maybe those chars are moving very sneakily and most of the people don't know what's happening. Though if some complo theories become real we may see some violent events going on. I hope not.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
pulkownikarnold

Postby pulkownikarnold » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Genie wrote:Though if some complo theories become real we may see some violent events going on. I hope not.

I hope we'll see them again someday. Why? For the love of satan, of course! This game became too stagnant... It's not a society simulator anymore - you can't have a working society without fights, wars and crime. There are some Kings and queens in this game - who gives? They're just sitting on their asses in their marble houses doing nothing. Absolutely NOTHING. Because their players are AFRAID. Many suggestions haven't been implemented because of that, and cantr is now slowly DYING.

If you can not stand the loss of your character in which you've invested more than 6 months of work, perhaps you shouldn't play RPG games. Or maybe you should stay and we should write another game.

Currently Cantr is more like a "rainbow and sunshines" simulation. Everyone is happy doing jack shit. If somebody begin to disassemble a machine in the abandoned village, the half of the island is after him. Anyone willing to murder/rob/conquer something is killed within one day or put into the jail by the rest of 120 year old grandpas. Come one this is boring.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Agreed, except on the "slowly dying" part. Cantr is dying pretty damn rapidly these days.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Holy Cernunnos! I lost my more than 6 months of old characters in several times and witnessed death of very good ones just because someone wanted to show how cool and strong person he/she is. We've lost players after such events and the reponsible ones quit playing after showing off with their great game skills. I know several kings, queens/town leaders working their asses off to keep things going on and many diligent young people are trying to build a life for themselves. Chars are respected by their gameplay, their age isn't important at all.
My concern isn't about seeing few corpses or meeting bad guys. More about any heavy damage on Cantr's diverse civil life in the name of plain killing or making Cantr great again. If Cantr has problems we can't blame a positive lifestyle for that.
Cantr isn't a killing game.
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Game_Dynamics
A balance always can be found. This is my last post regarding this topic.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:26 am

Plenty of newspawns get killed for things like taking buckets, or thrown in jail for real life weeks and they simply quit\die but no one cares about the story they want to develop. Seems hypocritical to treat new players poorly but then complain older characters finally get the rough end of the stick and start demanding changes to mechanics, the mechanics they happily used when it suited them.

There are some towns in this game where the leaders role play or sleepiness pretty much ruins any chance a new character can have of an enjoyable time. If its their first character then I guess the odds are they will be gone in 21 days and a lot of older players need to accept that behavior like that might have worked 5 years ago but with the the declining player base its just going to drive people off.

Whats the motto - Live, Die, Repeat or should be it Live, sleep, cuddle, sleep some more ?
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:41 am

Wolfsong wrote:Agreed, except on the "slowly dying" part. Cantr is dying pretty damn rapidly these days.

Actually, it's better than it's ever been in terms of player loss. We've more or less stabilised for the past year or so.. We were on a steep decline before that.

Player count is low, but stable.

The real problem is that the world is so huge, which makes it feel empty. If the world was way smaller we would feel like the game is thriving - keep in mind there are over 1,000 English characters alone!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:35 am

It appears to have stabilized only because the player base is so small. We're still losing players rapidly compared to the actual size of the player base. We aren't losing as many a year as we had been because there aren't that many left.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:45 am

One of my characters threw an approximately 21-year-old character in jail for acting crazy. She went all dominatrix on him just for the kicks. It turns out the youngster is actually into this. It turned his life around. He became her pet and got released from jail. Soon he started being trusted with helping town management as well.

Also later on another one of my characters arrested a man who was accused of murdering travelers. The man was about 30 or 40. At first he was fighting back, but then he broke down and felt sorry for what he did. My character started visiting him in jail and they started talking. It turned out the guy is actually quite a deep character. So my character build him nice furniture to make the jail cell more comfortable. He lived there for years and she visited him regularly. He would give her shoulder massages when she was feeling tense. Then he got more sleepy and she went on a long trip. He was dead when she came back.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “General Discussion”