What type of character do you & your characters most enjoy playing with?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

returner

What type of character do you & your characters most enjoy playing with?

Postby returner » Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 am

For me, it's the roleplay-rich, story-driven, big-personality types that draw mine in. I just want to be a part of their story epic, in whatever way possible. Usually they find a way to integrate everyone which is great.

As a specific answer, I find political players the most fun to play with. Those that set up political take-overs, set up false flags, create regional tensions, etcetera.

On the other side of things, I hate a wet blanket for the above! I don't mean someone who is peaceful, or a non-drama-queen - this makes up a lot of the population. There's just a certain type of character that just doesn't like politics on a town, region or island level or doesn't believe in that sort of thing and plays it down heavily, or otherwise is like "it's not worth it". :lol:
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Rebma

Re: What type of character do you & your characters most enjoy playing with?

Postby Rebma » Wed May 04, 2016 1:15 am

I enjoy playing with everyone, usually. Except people that I can see using OOC opinions to influence their play (hating a certain players characters/not liking the way they RP/ ignoring another character for these player reasons).

Oddly enough I tend to be drawn to the people that others might overlook. I have a soft spot in my heart for characters that I have to push a little, to help them flush out their characters, or have to push to get them to actually engage. So, cases where the player seems hesitant to play, or does one liners. It just makes me want to bug you more until you start coming out of your shell. I love seeing player development through their characters developing.

I'm also drawn to people who aren't staunch about the game world. Like, how do animals breed? Do they have a male and female? Do they lay eggs, etc, things that aren't covered by the mechanics. If you come up with some totally insane answer (whether RL based or made up) to these silly questions that are ambiguously undefined, you might as well be gluing me to your side, new best friend.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Alutka

Postby Alutka » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

Rebma wrote:Oddly enough I tend to be drawn to the people that others might overlook. I have a soft spot in my heart for characters that I have to push a little, to help them flush out their characters, or have to push to get them to actually engage. So, cases where the player seems hesitant to play, or does one liners. It just makes me want to bug you more until you start coming out of your shell. I love seeing player development through their characters developing.

Well, I have to confirm that. If not for Rebma I probably wouldn't be playing this game. I spawned three characters and they couldn't really find anyone to RP with. People for sure could see that I was a new player (especially on my first char, I did sooooo many silly things on him), yet there was no one really willing to guide me. Luckily my third char met Rebma's char and yeah, now I am addicted... Actually... should I even praise you for this? :evil:

I on my side like to play with characters who have some depth. I mean... I like when a character has an interesting personality. If I meet a char who says that he wants to let's say create a kingdom, I am more interested in 'why' rather than 'how'. And the same goes for me. I spawned a few characters like 'She will become a ...' and I've found myself unable to play them.
“Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. He is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
returner

Postby returner » Wed May 04, 2016 8:23 am

I have to admit, I did start this thread with Rebma and others (Wiro etc) in mind. They are great enablers while also playing out their own characters to their fullest.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 am

I'll play with just about anyone, if it makes sense ICly for my character to interact with them, though I'll be the first to admit that I will try to avoid certain characters - the lisping, child-like innocent tropes who have raunchy wtf fetish sex with their "daddies" and "mommies". Ugh. No matter what, I just get weirded out and avoid those ones like the plague. Everyone else, though, I"m generally fine with if it makes sense ICly... Though I will bend for new characters/players and interact with them (even if it doesn't make sense) if no one else is.

As for enjoyment... I enjoy playing with fleshed out characters. If they feel real, that's enough for me. What's even better, though, is when they are nuanced and not overtly obvious about everything that makes them them. Leave a little mystery and subtlety, let me figure out your character's backstory over time rather than tell it to my character in a huge wall of text.
returner

Postby returner » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

Wolfsong wrote:... I will try to avoid certain characters - the lisping, child-like innocent tropes who have raunchy wtf fetish sex with their "daddies" and "mommies". Ugh...

They exist? No... god no... :shock:

No judgement but that brings great shame to my own child-like character, who certainly did not have sex with her late parents and generally won't with anyone else. I hope you do open up to the child-like characters; my own is developmentally slow rather than truly child-like (there really isn't such a thing as a child in Cantr anyway, a bit of an OOC concept IMO). But it's easiest for me to base the character off a petulant child and she by no means is innocent (though she is just smart enough to use her silliness to get out of trouble).
Vega

Postby Vega » Wed May 04, 2016 12:57 pm

returner wrote: She by no means is innocent (though she is just smart enough to use her silliness to get out of trouble)

My most manipulative character always did it behind her "look at me being weak and innocent and with sooo much trouble speaking". Her best moment was when she was arguing with another character (in another language of the language of the city) and she started insulting him and verbally pushing him, in a soft voice (while acting like he was insulting her each time he answered in return) until make him snap and hit her. Which made everybody around get angry with him... :twisted:

I think I like to play with characters that fit with mine, that give me the chance to interact with them and develope mine (or help developing them.)

I already say at the other thread that I try to avoid chars with weird accents (for all the extra work that means to me) but if they match all above and my characters get really attracted to them, I won't run away from the RP, either. (Well, I won't run away in any case. Let's say that in that case, I'll look for it :) )

Who am I going to play and interact with, it'll depend on which char am I playing :P There are characters I cannot stand with one of mine but another one likes. If you cross my number 3 in the list, you'll probably be grumbled at and get a place in my to-kill list. If you cross number 1, I'll probably try to stay away from you, but I'll be polite and I won't dislike you (unless you touch me...). If you cross number 4 there is a high chance that I'll love you, and with number 8 I'll do whatever to make you feel better... :roll:
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed May 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Complicated histories: I like characters that have lived long enough to develop a background story through experience. This is different from having a background story from spawning, because those involve things that didn't actually happen. Sometimes when people have really amazing stories, it makes me wonder if they actually happened or if they're made up. Sometimes characters can get a kick start from spawning with a belief, but that differs from suggesting that their story actually happens. I think it works better as a delusion, and the player is aware that their character is slightly crazy.

Politeness: A lot of my characters like it when people are honestly polite and are consistent with it. It gives me a warm feeling when people address my characters as Lady, Ma'am, Sir or Captain.

Traders who aren't trying to rip you off but instead make you feel like you got the better end of the bargain. I like it when someone is willing to pay a little extra for something rare or something they really want. One of my favorite memories from years back was when my character Pharap Jahrot was trading with someone in the Krif neighborhood (or that side of the island anyway) and the other character started offering gifts and "on top of the trade" resources, and my character responded in kind, and they were competing in who could give more to the other character. In the end I'm pretty sure they both came out of it as thinking they got the better end of the deal. Often deals sound better if you first say that "it costs X, but for you my good man, I'm willing to cut it down to Y." It works the best with items you've made or gathered yourself with an expert character. You know you save time, so you can afford to give a discount.

Characters who support other characters' personal growth and story development. If for example someone sees that a newspawn is active, they can take the risk and give this character some keys or otherwise access to resources and tools, or lend them a vehicle.

Characters who generally activate others. Characters with ambitious plans that take several people to carry out and with enough social skills and wakefulness to convince the others that this is worth doing.

Characters who stand out by being different. For example by being rude, oblivious to social conventions, smell bad, have less than perfect visage, are actually manipulative or crafty but good at hiding it, etc.
Not-so-sad panda
Undine

Postby Undine » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

I really, really like this thread. It's putting a lot of my own roleplay habits into perspective. I can't wait to try out some of these ideas! :D
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed May 04, 2016 7:36 pm

I love characters that give me a visual when they do something. I enjoy characters who inspire all of my senses actually and sometimes it can be just one or two emotes or a snappy one liner retort. If I can hear that arrogant tone in their words it makes the experience worthwhile.
Money

Postby Money » Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 am

Characters that pick up little habits and mannerisms from those around them. If enough characters of this variety show up it can create a nice bit of flavour for a location that lets it stand out and if this principle is extended to beliefs and ways of life can even result in a culture taking shape. To me this is what makes the game feel like a society simulator rather then just another resource management game or rp platform, that wonderful combination of simming and rp.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Thu May 05, 2016 2:11 am

I personally enjoy roleplaying with characters who have a bit of depth to them- especially ones with active goals and ambitions, as opposed to those content to just meander about and do more or less nothing. Certain RP quirks also help, things that set characters apart from everyone else. :P
amatorfati

Postby amatorfati » Sat May 07, 2016 6:02 am

I love playing the nomad. I don't really mind if this is solitary or not. I just like seeing as much of the world as possible through fresh eyes. I love characters who for some reason or another end up living a life on the road (or the high seas!). It's such a radically different lifestyle than my sedentary folks, and sooner or later I feel like I end up more engaged in my nomads than my townfolk. Or maybe not necessarily more engaged, maybe traveling just begs more of my frequent attention just to keep them moving, whereas I put actual deeper investment into my more rooted characters? Who knows. All I know is I'm willing to game the ticks for a nomad but never for a villager.

I like to play very ambitious characters. This usually takes root in productive endeavors like becoming a trader, explorer, scavenger, et cetera. But sometimes it also turns a character into a thief when opportunity strikes and they feel that they've been wronged before by the group they end up thieving from. Or a political revolutionary, which nine times out of ten means a soon-to-be-dead character. Ah well, such is life.

I like playing one of the gang. Sometimes that means a family, which can mean playing a married character, or not. Sometimes it's just a group of friends. It means being part of a close group, something relatively apolitical, not purely geographical, but a closer and more exclusive bond. A group that will have each other's back in a tight spot and will travel with each other. It always felt to me like this was really the core of the game... I feel like to much of the politics ends up boiling down to "we happened to spawn here so these are my people even though we've spoken all of ten words to each other the last decade" and that bores me to death. I like basically any kind of group that is not purely geographic.

I don't normally like the constant loud mayhem of high-traffic towns (are there really "cities" in this world, in any proper sense?), where everybody ends up sort of lost among the masses of sleepers, travelers, newspawns, and long-time locals who mostly ignore everybody else and keep to their local drama and roleplay. I've yet to play a very urban character, though I'd like to do that, though I think I will do so now with a couple of characters. Maybe I'll end up liking it.
returner

Postby returner » Sat May 07, 2016 11:13 am

Awesome response amatorfati - but just in case you misunderstood the title - this particular thread is about other player's characters you like to play with, rather than your own! I can see the confusion now. :lol: Good idea for a thread, but I find people talk too much about themselves on the forum, so I thought I'd make one of those positive threads like RP praise where you focus on others. :P
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sat May 07, 2016 5:16 pm

The first character to spring to mind was one I'd never put up with in real life. He doesn't seem to actively (or knowingly at least) create drama but it follows him everywhere he goes which is very entertaining to watch from the sidelines XD He's a bit the 'cool' type so he hasn't had much time for my character but when he did it was an interesting and involved RP. His life seems to move very fast and he walks a very narrow ledge over jerkishness.

Another is a relatively sleepy one with a quietly wicked sense of humour and a very consistent characterisation. I feel like my character and this one could be one of those 'odd friendships' in some ways.

I like the ones who do a little roleplay or say something without a particular other obvious person or goal in mind, so that anyone can join in, and the people who greet new arrivals with something original or funny - people who're changing the everyday monotony rather than falling into it.

Also, town leaders who wake up, who actually read their logs and respond to questions and roleplay, who you don't have to wait a week to find at all then ask three times to get half of your trade done wrong. The bad ones are amusing to rant about but not so much fun to deal with :P

Return to “General Discussion”