Every one thinks we’re (siblings), but it’s not as simple as that.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

iavatus

Every one thinks we’re (siblings), but it’s not as simple as that.

Postby iavatus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:52 am

“Goddamned crows,” he said.
He took a plastic bag out of his pocket and deftly bagged his dog’s poop.
I sang louder, a laughing arpeggio of croaking notes.
Being happy was better than not, I decided. And it was certainly better than scooping up dog poop. If I was ever to write a story the way that Christy did, it would be very short. And I’d only have the one story because after it, I wouldn’t need any more.

I must admit, I have had a blast playing Cantr the last year, year and a half. So many interesting stories, characters, opportunities, events. Madcappery, mayhem, mischief, moxie.

Lion - You'd know Lion to see him. Always smiling, always joking and joshing about, with occasional flinging of livestock around. Armed with that mightiest of weapons, the tradenote. Oh, so much time and love on those, he barely had time to steal a ship from Jasper (twice), plan to make a third time, forget to pay for one trade (after nudging the sleepy one several times with a fistful of rubies), drive around with his best friend and their friends, and help those who needed it, in whatever form they needed it (this could mean showing up with knitting needles and wool, gifts of more useful nature or just words. Loudly.). Once out of his spawntown, he bloomed and grew, and never looked back (well, once. And that was a gift that kept giving). And for all this, he spent his last few years furiously knitting, two words that don't generally go together.

Jessica West - She was part of an industrial dynamo, but knew where she sat in it, and treated her other parts like the people they were. Some good times, some saving times, some good friends, and some great opportunities to share. Nothing was beyond her, with the assistance of her true and steady leader. Some kerfuffles with a colleague, but any change will create friction.

Steve Snail - Eh, wot mate? You talking about me, guess it's better I pew this and table things for em, properly. Came here with a bounce, from merry old Engersland, donchaknow. One moment, a crew and kit, next there's burnt toast and a me here. Where here is, who knows. So, shook a few statues, and sailed away from statue-esque Dory in a longboat, loaded to the gills with much that wasn't, and toddled along to another town. Upgraded with a smirk, and the Sod sailed off. Then kept ajourneying, and greeting, and making friends and foes with aplomb. Some good times, and good memories, but the bounce back is a-coming. See which world is better, eh.

Kerrigan Swift - A humble forest dweller, happy to eke out a quiet life with some friends. The coming storm changed that, and drove her to find the man. At least, at first. Halted hard at the most wonderful, idyllic, pleasant, wonderful farm around, the rage left over time, and she appreciated what he'd done - given her the best reason to leave her dying forest. So, friends and family, and a chance to live. Not such a bad trade, for a few years work stolen. But she may have evened it out long before he arrived anyway, so all's fair. Lock your doors, people.

Claire 'Hat' Troubles - Spawned with an unfortunate name, but it suited. And she had many a chance to forget them, earn them, diminish them, fight them, conquer them. And with the aid of several friends, and their support, she did so. Some tilting at windmills, sleepy as they may be, but nothing earnt the satisfaction of stitching the radio back together, and finding out where true friends lie.

Withersnull - ahhh, the daringest scarecrow about. Truly, he masterminded his escape from doldrums, by attempting to steal a ship with someone still on it, then his own escape from those doldrums, by being awesome, and proferring his straw goods to all. Once away, and a daring escape that was too, he found he had no chance at a dull life, but to help those who needed it. An encounter with the Macgregors that ended in a startling fashion, and with a startling gain, and truly the stage was set for the revolution to come. It did, and rolled past. Instead, songs were sung and chanted, and lives saved, and problems solved.

Jack Least Bragonguard - in the prime of his strength and life, if he wasn't dead. Spawned on Noniwrok island, moments after breathing his first his hand was armed and armoured, and chased a kidnapper over the island. Sadly it wasn't a rescue operation, but it did shape him. Numerous other similar encounters occurred and each one he rose to with friends, and prepared for the next.
But the only shame he felt, was at living and contributing to such a stifling town. So, he made his plans to leave. One of the stifles, attempted to perform his nature, but the years of apathy on his side, and the years of action on Jack's, soon proved the difference. jack dragged him back to town, for his public humiliation, the town turned against the stifle and a new voice rang out. Time will tell if the new voice becomes an old voice. But Jack was gone already, sailing away to a land he'd never see, with the stifle's sheep and dough-roller as trophies of the day when reason triumphed again.

Lolarena - A simple, fey girl. Not shy, not bold, not quirky or dull. Essentially a drifter until she found a town that needed her love. And, her drawings. It was remarkable, how quick the pen flew with such subject material, ones she had never seen before, and loved in her own way. She decided to do more, and volunteer her arm to the order, but probably wisely, the door was gently closed. Still, she did what she could for them, and brought a smile or two

The one she treasured most, and never failed to bring a smile,

https://cantr.net/pictures/getimg.php?i ... r2hs8y.jpg

Kettle - A guard dog, watching and curious. Patient and grim, her mask held her fears away when duty needed to be done. But of all her life, it was the end that she blossomed. May all feel her blessing.

Alice Clear - The isle of Teregotha held much promise for the cult. And it did draw the eyes of they and they sent forth their emissary. Steadily moving shaking and living, and she'd put herself into a position to do her work. Then, something changed. Her heart, her life, her joy? Her pleasure at the world of land, not sea? Who knows. But she stepped down from power, before she could wreak her vengeance. The sea quaked, but it mattered not. Next wave, would sweep them clear.

Bjorn Cartrendersun - a simple man, who rarely had to introduce himself. Had a plan, and a vision, and an idea. Sadly, the target didn't prove itself worth the time or effort. But the friend he made, oh. That, was worth the world.

Thanks everyone, for your part in their stories. It's been real.

It would go like this:
Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after. The end.
That’s a much better sort of story than the messy ones that make up our lives. At least that’s what I think.
But I wouldn’t want to live in that story, because that would be too boring. I’d rather be caught up in the clutter of living, flying high above the streets and houses, making a joyful noise.

Charles de Lint, "Make a Joyful Noise"
prometheus

Re: Every one thinks we’re (siblings), but it’s not as simple as that.

Postby prometheus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 am

Iavatus, I never knew you were Claire, or Jessica! I didn't really meet Jessica but I liked Claire with Alaqua; even though you weren't sticking around to share my RP you supported it when you passed through. RP enablers can't get enough props from me. :)
"Thank my bottom and call me a biscuit."
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:10 am

Claire's death hit some characters pretty hard. Was sad to see her go.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 am

Jessica was the first char any of my chars met. She was very nice, but I never got to interact with her after that, until that last time you know about.

I like how you described Kettle as a guard dog. That's exactly how my other char that knew her thought of her. With just some simple words and actions, she made my char feel safe and guarded during a super crazy time when a little sense of security went a very long way. Thank you.
iavatus

Postby iavatus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:47 am

Oh, forgot the ones who died a while back, or didn't get a chance to do much with.

Max Soirentas - Lived on Fu, and wanted to carve out a niche. Did so, but the lack of visitors made it a dull niche. Still, the goods he'd gained from various shenaniganneries and things, are hopefully building something brighter.

Felix de la Mente - He travelled and saw parts of the world. But his first encounter wasn't a pleasant one. Changed him, and made him somewhat less trusting of strange, authoritarian rules. This got him in a smidge of trouble later on, but he died free and at peace. Also, at sea.

Hindrance - Was dragged into a murdershack for the crime of spawning there. Also, some vague strange words about becoming someone's sextoy. Yeaaaahh, no.

Tear - Inspired in part by Crow Jane by Nick Cave, she lived a simple, hunting life.

Alexander Feast - His triumph was saving a life with words. From herself, and from others. (He wasn't supposed to be an Atticus Finch, but it happened. See initials. Also, he had one eye. Strange, strange coincidences)

Bob - Fell to earth in Dragonloft with a thud. I wish I had had the time to play with you fellows properly, but I hope I gave a giggle or two while I could.

Braedon Brendon, the BMX Champion - He saw a trike, and fell in love. He was going to do BMX tricks and shit all around the place, but again. RL time.

Karparkourovski, the friendly fuckwit - He was going to be my extra ocker aussie. Dumb as a post, heart of gold. But I had to laugh my arse off when I saw he was the one and only expert MSTA I had ever had, and had no intention of ever using it.

James - Spawned in the lake near the seatown area. Life wasn't very interesting there, but he enjoyed his travelling about
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:57 am

Bob! She poked Borgby in the face and called everybody Old Sport or something.
iavatus

Postby iavatus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:02 am

MonkeyPants4736 wrote:Bob! She poked Borgby in the face.

Annoyingly. She did so, annoyingly. And with great results!
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 am

Even your small and unimportant characters made an impression, Iavatus. Your range is far bigger than I thought. I'm seriously impressed.
"Thank my bottom and call me a biscuit."
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 am

Happy sails Jackass. :wink:

Seriously, hope you make other worlds as interesting as you did this one. Sorry that some of those stories were cut short. Was interested to see where they'd go.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 am

You were Lolarena? Oh she was so adorable with her kitty pictures :cry: Sad that most of her pictures don't show up anymore.. she brought so much happiness!

She will be missed.. specially one of mine
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Carrot Lord

Postby Carrot Lord » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm

iavatus wrote:Max Soirentas - Lived on Fu, and wanted to carve out a niche. Did so, but the lack of visitors made it a dull niche. Still, the goods he'd gained from various shenaniganneries and things, are hopefully building something brighter.

Oh, Max! He was so nice to my character, he will be greatly missed.
You say: "*dramatically falls on the cot, curling up and screeching* *what is it doing is it crying what*"
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:36 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting and being close to a few of your characters with a few of my characters. My characters either loved or hated your characters - there was no ground for "in-between" with them. The polarization proves you played compelling characters that had motivations - something that is sometimes found lacking in the green world. And certainly some of my characters' motivations were at odds with your character's motivations, but even in the conflict there was entertainment. I especially like that most of your conflict-driven characters were more prone to simply drive social conflict and embarrassment and disagreement, rather than straight up violence & theft - and I think it provided a pattern for how to create conflict in a game like this without resorting to pillaging and looting and leaving other characters worse off than they were before they met your characters. (Many players who decide to drive conflict are nowhere adept as you were at walking that fine line.)

Best of luck to you back in the real world.
joo

Postby joo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Everyone thinks we're siblings, but it's not as simple as that: we're also lovers.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Steve Snail was so annoying. It was hard to understand what the heck he was saying. I think he was really rude towards Guardian Trust, and hitting him with a stick even though it was against the law shows he doesn't give a damn.

Kettle was silent and I wouldn't have been surprised if she had died earlier than this. That kind of characters normally don't last very long.

I also met Claire with maybe even three of my characters if I recall correctly. At first she seemed questionable, but towards the end seemed like an okay kind of person, and she was fixing the radio network, which most people would find a good thing.

I briefly ran into Lion as well but he seemed to be in Avren's shadow. He was mostly sleeping when I met him.

The rest I never met.
Not-so-sad panda
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 pm

SekoETC wrote:Steve Snail was so annoying. It was hard to understand what the heck he was saying. I think he was really rude towards Guardian Trust, and hitting him with a stick even though it was against the law shows he doesn't give a damn.

I briefly ran into Lion as well but he seemed to be in Avren's shadow. He was mostly sleeping when I met him.

These two are examples of characters that I felt challenged social norms and created conflict without resorting to violence and theft. I personally liked that aspect of some of his characters, but FWIW I realize others may disagree. I just felt like expressing my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion”