Timewarp

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Timewarp

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:46 pm

So how are you guys feeling about the timewarp? For me personally, as a player that is, I must say that I find it harder than I expected. It's almost impossible to think away what happened and to keep the same motivation.

And it seems really odd: people that were really active seem not to have returned or something, while locations that were really silent (especially the non-English locations) seem to live up much more than they did before the time change. But it's really a bit hard to get back into playing and keep the motivation up when the crucial 'playing partners' seem to be absent. How is that in other locations?

I really hope that most players, especially the active ones, will 'stick together' and get back into simming - the more we do so, the easier it gets :) ...
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:16 pm

I have to say, it has been difficult. Especially because I keep expecting people to do things the way they did before, but as you pointed out some key players simply are not doing anything at all-rather strange. It is interesting already how things are different simply because a month didn't happen anymore. Some new decisions are made, probably because of what "happened" that hasn't now and while it makes it harder NOT to break the capital rule-I for one am being very careful about stuff.

I think the best part is that some choices you can change-like I had one character leave a particular place and her partner didn't follow. This time around, I gave him a note. Common sense, but now if he wakes up he'll know where I am.

:-) Some good, some bad. Overall, time will tell.
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:31 am

Yes, I've noticed that it's been somewhat quiet, and that there have been several key players that haven't returned. But I somewhat expected it, every time that Cantr would go offline we would loose some players. But this was a long downtime, so there were a higher number of players that didn't return. I don't know of any quitting just because of the timewarp, but this shows how much downtime can hurt the game. Maybe some of them will come back.

As for the timewarp I don't think it's too difficult to deal with, it's just that I've found that there's no way to try repeating the actions taken before, too many chars are silent so new plans have to be made.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:44 am

I've found that rediscussing actions that were decided by more than one individual before the time warp helps. It refreshes player's memories, and also takes into account possible motivation changes. Even if chars discussed something "very recently", many of them seem to like rethinking things.
Meh

Postby Meh » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:19 am

I would put too much of the silence into the timewarp. Could it be that in real time we've just jumped from early to mid summer? I was here last year.
Meh

Postby Meh » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:20 am

wasn't here last year
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:31 pm

What do you mean?

The "timewarp" has set events *back in time* so, mid-summer to early summer, not vice versa.

Also, the events that happened after the date we are at now never happened.

Forgive me if I'm repeating information you already know, but I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Meh

Postby Meh » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:05 pm

I menat in reality....It's later in the summer and people are off doing other things. I am also. Between other summer fun things and Cantr, TV has gone to near nil for me. Other people may be just out having fun and we'll see them back in late summer/early fall.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:41 pm

True, or it may take a while for the addiction to kick back in. A bit like if they had managed to kick a habit (albeit unwillingly ;) ) and weren't craving it so much.

I don't think events will pan out the same as before. Too many people have joined and left, people won't say the same things etc. I don't think there will be much the same to break the capital rule with.

Has anyone read Terry Pratchett's Discworld Novel "Jingo"? Do you think we could have the alternative storyline bit like from the demon organiser thing Commander Vimes has? Could Jos do that for us? hmm, maybe not :P

BTW, Cantr and the internet have destroyed my TV watching hobby. I just don't do it anymore. A bad sign ... :|
Cathy Willey

Postby Cathy Willey » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:06 am

What I don't like about it is having to redo a lot of projects that were chores, rather than for the outright benefit of my character...finishing a road improvement, burying a huge pile of bodies, and so forth.

Other than that, it will be interesting to see how things play out differently. I'm already noticing a few different things.
LaSt Of ThE DoDo

Totally sucked

Postby LaSt Of ThE DoDo » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:07 am

the timewarp tatally sucked for me because one of my characters got arrested. before the timewarp i called someone crazy and leave town. after the timewarp i'm in jail for no apparent reason. :( :( :(

Return to “General Discussion”