Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Friar Briar

Re: Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

Postby Friar Briar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 pm

I just found my first Chinese language note, a map dated 2170, on Cantr Island of all places. :shock:

It says something about the Western Sea, and it maps out someone's journey across land, with all the place names translated into Chinese. :shock: :shock: :shock:
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

I"m going to take Alladinsane up on the challenge, but I'm still trying to be as vague as I can. I've left out lines I couldn't make vague enough to not be probably referring to only characters I play.

About Cantr, I am thrilled and amused by...

...an endless series of creative projects for which the character has [access to] all of the needed materials and skills.

...a character's ability and freedom to decide for themselves what is best for them and usually turn out to be right.

...a character finding a friend who celebrates (not tolerates, but enjoys) everything about them (or nearly everything such that the exceptions aren't worth mentioning).

...the knowledge that if I wanted to I could have a character lead a group and/or town, and possibly even region or island, to do great things.

...the beauty of most customized items and described rooms.

...a new item being added that I'll want to make one day (not knowing yet which character will get the joy).

...a new item being added that my character/s want/s to make as soon as they can.

...a character finding themselves in a place where they feel like they belong.

...a character's feeling of satisfaction at the completion of a milestone project.

...a character finally getting hold of a resource they've been wanting and trying to get hold of for a long time (before the need has faded).
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:16 pm

I have finally discovered which island one of my characters is on. Took a long time to send her exploring again, but she found a map in another language - Polish, I believe. It's... much bigger than the map she had before, though still incomplete.

Obviously she doesn't know the name (and location) of the island, but now I do, and it's a bit exciting - she's not on Cantr or Treefeather and this pleases me.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 am

Something big that thrills me in Cantr, is the presence of other players. Since I joined in 200...4/5?..there have always been other players that amaze me. Granted, back then it wasn't too hard, because I had zero idea about roleplaying.

But every year I have played there has always been some player that just played their character so well, that I almost felt myself floundering in their shadow. It constantly forced me to up my game.

And everytime I start to think like "Oh yeah, I'm boss now, look at me RPing all over the place" another one shows up to humble me with their skill. And I'm not just talking they're well Rp'd characters. There are tons of those.

I'm talking about players who RP their characters in such a way that you feel like they're creating this world, this story, for your benefit and yours alone. Players who RP in such a way that you're left staring at your screen with a stupid grin, thinking "I don't even know how to come close to touching that". And with every one, you try to take away a tiny bit of them for yourself, to constantly learn and improve and develop. With everyone you bow down because holy crap how does someone get that good?

Anyways. I love you, players that are so amazing that I can't even hold a candle to you.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Rebma wrote:Something big that thrills me in Cantr, is the presence of other players. Since I joined in 200...4/5?..there have always been other players that amaze me. Granted, back then it wasn't too hard, because I had zero idea about roleplaying.

But every year I have played there has always been some player that just played their character so well, that I almost felt myself floundering in their shadow. It constantly forced me to up my game.

And everytime I start to think like "Oh yeah, I'm boss now, look at me RPing all over the place" another one shows up to humble me with their skill. And I'm not just talking they're well Rp'd characters. There are tons of those.

I'm talking about players who RP their characters in such a way that you feel like they're creating this world, this story, for your benefit and yours alone. Players who RP in such a way that you're left staring at your screen with a stupid grin, thinking "I don't even know how to come close to touching that". And with every one, you try to take away a tiny bit of them for yourself, to constantly learn and improve and develop. With everyone you bow down because holy crap how does someone get that good?

Anyways. I love you, players that are so amazing that I can't even hold a candle to you.

This.

The thing that makes me come back, and the thing about cantr for me that makes up for any perceived faults are the players. Even if you are just a simmer without interest in the roleplay aspect, the players are the core of this entire game and they are what bring its greatest moments. It's the combination of these players, and the level of freedom that Cantr gives you that makes an intoxicating cocktail of thrilling, scary, intense, happy, invigorating, satisfying feelings whether it is because of your character's relationships with their friends and community, or their achievement in reaching a long desired goal.

It's just absolutely inspiring to me and it takes my breath away. Those moments are what I play Cantr for, everything else is flavor for better or worse - that's what a story is all about. The appreciation of the good and the bad moments as whole.. and what changes it brings to the world we're all playing in. The impression our characters leave on it.

That's the drug, for me anyway. (:
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:43 am

The idea of having an entire wardrobe comprised of custom descriptions in a foreign language on an english character makes me so giddy.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Custom descriptions, aaaaaaah omg.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 am

No sex slave talk on the radio recently! \o/
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:22 pm

*Wiro wrote:Custom descriptions, aaaaaaah omg.

Custom descriptions make me giddy every day. :D

And then there's...horses! YAAAY! Not that any of my characters have ever seen a horse or know where to find one. Please let us saddle a moose. :P

And even before this, animal domestication in general has been the best thing in Cantr...a well-balanced system that requires upkeep and cooperation and encourage job specialization and tons of RP at the same time? Heck yes! We need more stuff like that. I can't remember if I've ever properly gushed over how much I love it. :)
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:18 pm

Marian wrote:
*Wiro wrote:Custom descriptions, aaaaaaah omg.

Custom descriptions make me giddy every day. :D

And then there's...horses! YAAAY! Not that any of my characters have ever seen a horse or know where to find one. Please let us saddle a moose. :P

And even before this, animal domestication in general has been the best thing in Cantr...a well-balanced system that requires upkeep and cooperation and encourage job specialization and tons of RP at the same time? Heck yes! We need more stuff like that. I can't remember if I've ever properly gushed over how much I love it. :)

You know, you're right, there's very little I'd change to domestication! Maybe a few things that I'd add, but, hell, they're probably planning to add those things, anyway. It is fun, and challenging, and deep... Exactly what I look for in a cantr mechanic.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Most people probably don't consider that each animal has its own unique weight, feed amounts and types (the vegetable/hay/meat types come in all kinds of combinations too), meat yield, produce (milk/egg/feathers/dung/wool) yield, breeds and grows at unique rates, has different tame chances, different meats. It's an enormous system without even knowing those things, therefore all the more so once you delve into the world of animal husbandry trying to find the perfect animal for your farm.
Read about my characters by following this link.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon May 04, 2015 10:21 pm

It thrills and amuses me that some people can and do enjoy the Cantreality of instant healing while others can and do enjoy the tragic role play of slow healing :)

I happen to love being in the instant healer's group; I passionately hate being in a tragedy.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 am

computaertist wrote:I passionately hate being in a tragedy.

Me too!

I also love finding 2 million raw potatoes. :mrgreen:
Rugila

Postby Rugila » Tue May 05, 2015 11:00 am

What made Cantr most fun for me was simming and being involved in drama.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 pm

The non-harmful weapons that I can use to swat people with:
Of course that doesn't stop me from using the occasional pot, doughroller or frying pan but these are fun too.

Towels
Pillows
Wasters
Spoons

Return to “General Discussion”