Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

NancyLee

Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

Postby NancyLee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Lately there's this generalized feeling on the forum about the game lacking its sparkle, or at least it feels that way to me when I read it. In my personal case, stating the reasons why I feel less thrilled wouldn't help to improve or change anything, so I rather not get into that, but that's only my personal stance and situation. Constructive criticism helps a lot to improve things, in my opinion, and even just venting a bit also feels good at times, so I'm not against it in the least. However, what I'm really curious about is what other players perceive as Cantr biggest assets. So, along the line of Friar Briar's thread "Why do you play Cantr?", I'd love to know what makes other players keep on playing, or return after a break. What is what triggers your cantr addiction? Or what are the small, random things that have put a smile on your face while playing cantr?

For me, what doesn't cease to amaze me is the creative freedom you have in cantr and the fact that you can build absolutely everything from scratch, be it a personality, a story, an environment, a building, an ambiance... In my case, I came for the roleplay, dragged by a former cantrian. But I found so much more than that. I've actively searched other games that could offer something similar, but none has satisfied me this far, as all of them rely heavily either on the crafting aspect or on the roleplay aspect. For me, cantr blends both aspects perfectly and leaves a lot of room for freedom, not only to create but also to pick the pace that suits you better in different moments of your life.

Another big thing for me is the opportunity to learn a language. My English is really far from flawless, but it's improved in the past years and cantr has a lot to do with it. As frustrating as it can be at times to struggle with words and the weird grammar I use at times. I've also had the luck to have very patient partners that have not only taught me a lot, but also reacted gracefully to my mess-ups.

Getting the chance to witness other players' creativity is also a big asset for me. And I've been really, really lucky on that aspect, as I got to read and even interact with some incredible roleplayers.

I think that one of the main things that made me come back after quitting was remembering my treasured “top hilarious cantr moments”, that still make me chuckle years ago when I remember them. In some cases produced by chance and randomness and in others by being surrounded by great characters that met in the right moment and under the right conditions or had the wittiest and most unexpected reactions to IG events. So I guess I can say I'm not only here for the fun but for the laughs.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
computaertist

Re: Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

Postby computaertist » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:59 pm

NancyLee wrote:For me, what doesn't cease to amaze me is the creative freedom you have in cantr and the fact that you can build absolutely everything from scratch, be it a personality, a story, an environment, a building, an ambiance... I've actively searched other games that could offer something similar, but none has satisfied me this far, as all of them rely heavily either on the crafting aspect or on the roleplay aspect. For me, cantr blends both aspects perfectly and leaves a lot of room for freedom, not only to create but also to pick the pace that suits you better in different moments of your life.

Getting the chance to witness other players' creativity is also a big asset for me. And I've been really, really lucky on that aspect, as I got to read and even interact with some incredible roleplayers.

These trill and amuse me as well.

Also, I very much like and appreciate how Cantr is completely not Earth-realistic, even with it not being expressly sci-fy and expressly not high fantasy.

I might agree with some others posted as well, but I'm not saying them first.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
returner

Postby returner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 pm

I just want to add that I'm very glad you made this thread. I'm tired of the negative, cynical threads people are making. It's really hurting the community by making negative posts, and it creates a precedence for players to begin considering quitting when all they see is negativity - ie - "oh this thing annoys me so much in Cantr, gah!" and "oh, the player base is dwindling, gah!".

Things that thrill or amuse me about Cantr: Everything. Every aspect. I have nothing negative to say about Cantr. There is a myriad of items you can build to create powerful RP, as well as powerful characters. There's a rich history, some of which is beginning to fade into obscurity, which is exciting because maybe someday proper historians will become an actual profession. Civilisations boom and bust. Armies rise and fall. Character ties deepen - or break apart.

Maybe I'm being too general and stating the obvious... Hm... Specifically, here's one - I love when new exotic animals suddenly appear in a location and everyone loses their mind and starts hacking at it.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:39 am

It amused big time me finding this scenario: an oldschool cabaret in a small town where a dreamy singer-songwriter, an entrepreneur with a double life and a secret identity, a baleful mayor, someone in their twenties acting like a baby, an overzealous, overjealous motherly figure and a pole dancer were eating ice creams after a concert. It was so random, so surreal that such different personalities shared... anything at all.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:55 am

One of my characters has finally stumbled upon a place without a single building, outdoors machinery, or vehicle, nothing! That character currently cannot dry dung, cook meat, or do anything other than gather and hunt. This place is so pristine, I'm having trouble believing what I'm seeing!
Calyx

Postby Calyx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 am

Having had my fair share of rants recently (though trying to do something to address them...) I guess I should definitely post in here?

There is, and never will be another RP platform as good as this. When I first stumbled across it, it was Jos' university project and I was blown away by how simple, yet how vast the concept was. Fill a world with people, give them true freedom and see what happens...

I started out with a load of nice, loyal and hard working characters that soon found others like them. I just loved how people banded together to reach shared (or sometimes even selfish) goals. It creates leaders out of people that didn't know they had it in them, and followers out of those that thought they knew better. Some of mine complied, some didn't. Some were killed for shooting their mouths off, others created worlds and became important to some. Everywhere was vastly different, the atmosphere was charged and I never wanted to miss a single thing! (Often to life's/work's detriment)... This game is all about balance... and everyone that plays this game, eventually comes out more balanced somehow, I think.

We get to plan, calculate, measure, write, draw and build nations in notepad. We get to laugh, cry, love, hate, miss and worry about fictional people that have become associated with ours... No other game is so unique, or will affect or change you as deeply as this.

We should all be revelling in the fact that we found it, and we should all do all that we can to make it better...

Variety is the spice of life.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

((( We loved with a love that was more than love. )))
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:11 am

Friar Briar wrote:One of my characters has finally stumbled upon a place without a single building, outdoors machinery, or vehicle, nothing! That character currently cannot dry dung, cook meat, or do anything other than gather and hunt. This place is so pristine, I'm having trouble believing what I'm seeing!

This has happened to me before, but it generally terrifies my characters to be somewhere like that, it feels so foreign to them.. if I spawned one in a super empty place though it might be more normal to them.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 am

Friar Briar wrote:One of my characters has finally stumbled upon a place without a single building, outdoors machinery, or vehicle, nothing! That character currently cannot dry dung, cook meat, or do anything other than gather and hunt. This place is so pristine, I'm having trouble believing what I'm seeing!

What's fun is then having your character decide.... "I'm going to settle this place!" and build it from the ground up.
returner

Postby returner » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:50 am

hyrle wrote:

What's fun is then having your character decide.... "I'm going to settle this place!" and build it from the ground up.

Stuff like that is what makes me an advocate for creating a second Cantr universe, maybe one that is very very small. I feel like we'd see some really interesting things on a smaller world with shorter paths to towns.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:10 am

returner wrote:Stuff like that is what makes me an advocate for creating a second Cantr universe, maybe one that is very very small. I feel like we'd see some really interesting things on a smaller world with shorter paths to towns.
And this makes me wonder, because I'm a relatively new player, why is this called Cantr II? Was there ever a Cantr I? Should we be moving on to Cantr III? I'm genuinely confused. :?: :lol:
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:57 am

Friar Briar wrote:
returner wrote:Stuff like that is what makes me an advocate for creating a second Cantr universe, maybe one that is very very small. I feel like we'd see some really interesting things on a smaller world with shorter paths to towns.
And this makes me wonder, because I'm a relatively new player, why is this called Cantr II? Was there ever a Cantr I? Should we be moving on to Cantr III? I'm genuinely confused. :?: :lol:

Cantr I was done with LEGOs in a basement! :D
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:15 am

kicking jay wrote:
Friar Briar wrote:

If you say it with such enthusiasm, people will think you're joking.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:51 am

Swingerzetta wrote:
kicking jay wrote:

:lol:

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Game_Background
Last edited by Snowdrop on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:58 am

Snowdrop wrote:
Swingerzetta wrote:
kicking jay wrote:

:lol:

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Game_Background

Woah! The Legos are for real! That article is genuinely enlightening! Thanks, you guys! :D
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:49 am

hyrle wrote:What's fun is then having your character decide.... "I'm going to settle this place!" and build it from the ground up.
I'm thinking of doing that and starting a cult of No Shield Newspawns...we run into battle completely unclothed and get trampled by elephants :twisted: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”