Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

destinysWalrus

Re: Things that thrill or amuse you about Cantr.

Postby destinysWalrus » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:10 am

Heh, just looking through old logs trying to remember what I was talking about in one of the posts I made a while ago, and came across something that amused me.

For context, all my characters are English-speaking. I'm not fluent enough in any other language to try playing in anything else yet. One of my characters was in a Polish town with a group of other English-speaking adventuring people. I ran some of the conversation between Polish characters through Google Translate to satisfy my curiosity. What I made of the conversation at the time was some confusion over the fact that our characters didn't speak Polish much outside of dictionary-learned stuff, and a few other things. One of these things I assumed was someone trying to figure out what color language English was - in a sort of synesthesa-ish way.

Looking back on the conversation now, I've come to the conclusion that there was actually a brief debate about the literal colour of these English characters' tongues. For some reason I find this more amusing than hypothetical synesthesia.
Alutka

Postby Alutka » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 pm

When Google translates 'You're making me horny' as 'You're doing me so fucking good' (Yes, for some reason the translation is this vulgar). It left my char baffled but also made his ego grow :mrgreen:
“Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. He is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 am

Certain characters that I really really want to compliment and understand better...but don't want to break the mystical IC bubble and contact the players.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:59 pm

I have not stepped foot into Olipifirovash Forest since one of my favorite characters had his clan kill him. Crag Rock decided it was time to die. He did not want to be a sleeping leader. I finally gave in and visited the forest with a newspawn. It thrills me that the Forest is filled with literature about the Stone Knights, the history, Quotes from Crag, teachings, and statues. It's very cool.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Bowser wrote:I have not stepped foot into Olipifirovash Forest since one of my favorite characters had his clan kill him. Crag Rock decided it was time to die. He did not want to be a sleeping leader. I finally gave in and visited the forest with a newspawn. It thrills me that the Forest is filled with literature about the Stone Knights, the history, Quotes from Crag, teachings, and statues. It's very cool.

Stumbling across any sort of History from a former-you is amazing, isn't it? :) One of these days I'll get someone naturally to a distant mostly-empty island that I stumbled across back in 2500-days or so, and see if something "she" left is still there. :D It's awesome seeing the persistence of the world!!
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:52 pm

I was amused to find Seko's diary in the library in Klojt. They also have Caine Nanazaki's diary, so if you read them side by side, you can get a different perspective on the same story. Of course Seko's style of writing is very hard to understand, even I had trouble remembering what some parts meant.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:26 pm

I really hope some librarian/historian type character will make a real effort at organizing that library. The history might not ever get perfectly matched up, but there are enough notes and clues therein to really make neat history timelines or collections for different perspectives of the same event, etc. It's really cool at how much is in there, even if it would take a lot of work for someone to make sense of it all.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:48 pm

One of my PCs was going to murder this chick, and had everything planned perfectly... But OOCly I couldn't do it. She was so annoying that I broke IC to avoid PKing her, because I knew I'd be forced to roleplay with her more before I killed her. And I just couldn't stand another moment of her.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon May 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Ability to visit long abandoned (I'd wish they were not) towns and find interesting ancient notes in different languages.
Playing around with map-making, dictionary-writing and burning bones to ash.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Mon May 02, 2016 3:05 pm

the thrill of submitting something to the Webzine, and waiting with baited breath, to see it published! :D ;) :P
Undine

Postby Undine » Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 pm

nateflory wrote:the thrill of submitting something to the Webzine, and waiting with baited breath, to see it published! :D ;) :P

Oh, you submitted something? Was it directly though the Webzine itself? For whatever reason, I didn't get a notification for it, and I can't find it in the submissions :(
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Tue May 03, 2016 1:09 am

Undine wrote:
nateflory wrote:the thrill of submitting something to the Webzine, and waiting with baited breath, to see it published! :D ;) :P

Oh, you submitted something? Was it directly though the Webzine itself? For whatever reason, I didn't get a notification for it, and I can't find it in the submissions :(

Hmm, ok, I guess that un-Anonymous-izes the submission. :P I used the web-form for "anonymous" entries. ;)
guess I'll re-post it when I get back to work tomorrow, where I have the text file saved. :)
Undine

Postby Undine » Tue May 03, 2016 1:30 am

nateflory wrote:
Undine wrote:

Hmm, ok, I guess that un-Anonymous-izes the submission. :P I used the web-form for "anonymous" entries. ;)
guess I'll re-post it when I get back to work tomorrow, where I have the text file saved. :)

Aah! Sorry! :oops: If for whatever reason the form still doesn't go through, you can just message the article to me and I'll put it on there.
returner

Postby returner » Tue May 03, 2016 7:46 am

That the game is compelling enough to have existed long enough that we will soon be able to say we're 2 decades old.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri May 06, 2016 3:55 am

Finding a note on the ground that briefly mentions an old character of yours that spawned and lived in such a desolate, rough place (she saw 7-10 people at most in the span of the 30 years she lived), that you forgot there was even a tiny chance that she could have made an impression on any others, much less be mentioned anywhere.

I definitely had to dig up my turn reports from the 1900's to see exactly what kind of advice she gave that made her worth mentioning. :lol:
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!

Return to “General Discussion”