Project queues discussion thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Uma

Re: Project queues discussion thread

Postby Uma » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:26 pm

For me at this point it's only about projects less than one day that need some form of queueing or automation.

Even if we just had an item or machine (tool belt or tool station) that let you select several objects to repair. and queue them (total time no greater than 1 day). we'd eliminate at least one annoying thing to do :)
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:08 am

Suggestion: we use the existing Work Bench for that. I'd like to see more uses for it.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 am

kicking jay wrote:Suggestion: we use the existing Work Bench for that. I'd like to see more uses for it.

That would be very limiting and disproportionate to something simple like repairs.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am

Chroma Key wrote:
kicking jay wrote:Suggestion: we use the existing Work Bench for that. I'd like to see more uses for it.

That would be very limiting and disproportionate to something simple like repairs.

It wouldn't necessarily be limiting. You can still repair without a workbench, you just need it to make the queue's.

That doesn't mean I agree with using the workbench for that, I'm just clarifying :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 am

I am well aware of that, Bmot. The suggestion /discussion has nothing to do with changing the existing repair system after all, but rather an addition.

However, if we are talking about simplifying issues and making life simpler by way of using queues, introduction of a machine, who would force the queuers to work inside does not sound like a great idea to me.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:02 pm

This is the first time I read this discussion, so I don't know what earlier discussion is preceding it, but I find the main argument a bit odd. I agree that people should actively RP and not just log in to silently work on projects, but surely creating a handicap for players who have less time on their hands to continuously log in is not the solution to this? Automation of project queues seems like a good idea to me, that will allow players with less time to play more like other players, while if we want people to regularly log in and RP, you just need to make sure the RP in the town is exciting enough to encourage fellow players to log in ;-) ... To force people to log in only to change the project they're working on as a tool to encourage RP seems like an odd solution to me :-).

Just my 2 ct ;)
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

It's been so long since I saw you on the forum I would have doubted this was you, if not for the emojis... you use them just how I remember.

My condolences on your 3rd place oranje. :wink:
I kill threads. It's what I do.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 pm

The creator has bestowed upon us his presence. Cantr characters the world over are filled with momentary sense of awe, although they are unsure as to why.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:39 pm

So, the eternal gaming question: where's the balance? I'm in favor of things that make life easier on players and free up more time for RP. As others have mentioned, though, too much automation might mean fewer reasons to log in to check chars. In an ideal world, there would be enough interaction alone to keep people playing often! :)

Maybe the middle ground is allowing the shorter projects to be queued, like Uma suggested. We've already had some of that by the introduction of "mass production". If it's possible to limit the job queue to projects that are less than a day in length, I think that would eliminate some of the tedious micromanagement without having too much automation.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:34 pm

I agree that logging in for game mechanics reasons is not going to spark RP if RP was not going to happen anyway. It would seem strange to me for a player to chose to not log in at all for the interactions with other players (which is what makes the game so engaging) while at the same time they would log in to make sure all their tools are fully repaired. I think it might be time to take this discussion on down to Suggestions.
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Holy crap, Jos dropped into a topic I started.

SumBum wrote:Maybe the middle ground is allowing the shorter projects to be queued, like Uma suggested. We've already had some of that by the introduction of "mass production". If it's possible to limit the job queue to projects that are less than a day in length, I think that would eliminate some of the tedious micromanagement without having too much automation.

Half the problem is knowing a large project is going to finish in an c/hour, and you'll not be able to log in for three days.
I think you should be able to queue large projects, but probably not more than two or three at a time.

I think should should be able to queue up a day of projects freely, but for every project after that (collection projects are not allowed), you'd have to spend an hour in a queueing project first. Actually, I really just don't know. Whatever.
I just know you shouldn't have to go on a forced vacation and know that out of the three tailoring projects you've got, only one will get done.
Money

Postby Money » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 pm

I support limiting it at a day, I've had no end of frustration where I could only actually log in once a day for a week or so and had to take vastly greater amounts of time to repair a bunch of tools then needed. If this (1 day queue) had been implemented I would've queued those projects and I could've been rping or doing something more interesting instead of sitting on the ground pondering the same type of tool for 5 days straight :P .
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:17 am

Necro'ing this thread instead of starting a new one.

Queueing projects would be AWESOME.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 pm

While the ability to queue tasks or jobs would be GREAT for planned stuff and all that, I sorry to say that Im with what Tiamo said years ago: having the ability to plan what your character does while you are not playing would actually encourage longer abscence periods, giving less reasons to actually log into the game and maybe share a conversation or interacting.
If you make your character farm food and then cooking it, planning what amount of food will be eaten and making numbers so everything fits, then you have no reason to worry about your character having hunger (or starving).
It would kill the game (even more than the state of death the game is actually in).
Moonflame

Postby Moonflame » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I am also against the implementation of project queues. For me it's because I like to look at cantr as primarily a roleplaying game. At least if I see someone start a project I know that a player has done that and I can ask them what's cooking and start a conversation. If there's no guarantee that the player was there it somewhat dampens the roleplay hook.

I would rather that you log in to rp. I argue that if the main thing getting you to log in is starting a new project, then you are already not getting the most out of Cantr. But at least if you log in regularly for your projects it's more likely you will become engaged with the character /rp.
"There are precious few at ease
with moral ambiguities
and so we act as though they don't exist"

Return to “General Discussion”