Favourite custom descriptions

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Favourite custom descriptions

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 pm

primitive fur cloak - This cloak is made entirely out of rat skins, spaced evenly and with the tails still intact, pointing downwards.
Not-so-sad panda
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Ewwewewewewewew

I've never seen a rat before but I will be sure to consider that if I ever do :3

Edit: I should probably add that I mean in-game; I have seen rats in real life and will not be considering turning them into cloaks :P
Undine

Postby Undine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:21 pm

In Kiii, there is an enormous "temple of the elements" that is a true work of art. The builder utilized both object and room descriptions to make a temple that I could clearly see in my mind's eye. The temple itself has so much symbolism attached to it as well, and each room reflects the elements so perfectly. A must-see.
Last edited by Undine on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:22 pm

That's a lot of rats. You could be a rat king with that and a crown shaped into a circle of dancing rats. Maybe a sceptre that has a detailed rat's sculpture on top.

I was thinking of something like:

primitive fur cloak - A brown bear pelt is draped over the wearer's shoulders, tied loosely round the neck.

Or something like this. Oh and a jaguar suit like a strongman from the circus wears.
Read about my characters by following this link.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 pm

If it's the same temple I'm thinking of, my character originally had a vision of how to make it, the division into rooms by element and what kind of bricks they should be made of. And when she said she had had a vision, a guy who had been previously sleeping woke up and played along, taking part in the building work and he also made the room descriptions more detailed after my character's death. I've visited with another character and during the last visit it felt like there were too many details. I don't know if the descriptions have been simplified after that but it gave me (and my character) a restless feeling.
Not-so-sad panda
Undine

Postby Undine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:45 pm

SekoETC wrote:If it's the same temple I'm thinking of, my character originally had a vision of how to make it, the division into rooms by element and what kind of bricks they should be made of. And when she said she had had a vision, a guy who had been previously sleeping woke up and played along, taking part in the building work and he also made the room descriptions more detailed after my character's death. I've visited with another character and during the last visit it felt like there were too many details. I don't know if the descriptions have been simplified after that but it gave me (and my character) a restless feeling.

From your description, I believe it's the same temple. I think I understand what you mean by too much description, though. Much of the grammer used in the overly descriptive rooms is different than the first few rooms of the temple (and sometimes is difficult to even comprehend, as is the case for the "water" room). I'm guessing that those rooms with awkward syntax were the modified rooms. Still, it's an amazing temple, and I applaud you for coming up with such an enormous idea. When I first started playing a few weeks ago, that temple was what made me excited to play. It showed me that a single character can have a huge impact on this world.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I rather like it when other characters build forth on things my own character did. I would love to see examples of these rooms sometime.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Undine, mayber your character could find an excuse to visit my character's burial chamber. It's beneath the floor in the heart of the temple.

---

On another topic, there's a town that's full of treehouses. I think it's cool.

1 [ A lightweight building suspended in between large trees. A seriers of ropes and support beams hold it in place. A steep set of stairs lead up to it's door. ]

2 [ Placed in a very short, squat tree. A small ramp up to the door. Elevated half a body hieght off the ground. ]

3 [ This building is built up between a few trees, only raised from the ground an average body height. A ramp leads up to the doorway. ]

4 [ Built high up in the trees, mostly hidden by the leaves. A spiral set of steps lead up to a small railed porch. ]

5 [ The building is nestled into a tree, raised from the ground, a set of several steps leading up to the doorway. ]

6 [ A cottage that has been raised to sit in the crook of a tree. A rope type ladder is built, leading up to a small porch at the door. ]

7 [ A cute cottage built 2 steps up off the ground ]

8 [ neatly built, nestled in the branches of a large tree, railed porch, wooden steps fixed to the tree for climbing up ]

[ Two rocking chairs sit cozily upon the porch, one carved with an elaborate HW on the armrests and back, the other has at the top, a soaring eagle, arched over the centered word, `Companions` with an LL and a DB etched on either side in ]

9 [ A small cottage built high in a tree. A knotted rope hangs from the porch. ]

10 [ Constructed within a tree, a ladder leading up to a small railed porch ]
Not-so-sad panda
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:30 pm

*Wiro wrote:I was thinking how cool it would be to describe a primitive fur cloak as a bear's pelt or a leopard's pelt wrapped around the neck by its paws.

My character customized a rug to look like a bear-skin rug, and thought about doing it with a cloak too =P but a little more fancy.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:14 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:
*Wiro wrote:I was thinking how cool it would be to describe a primitive fur cloak as a bear's pelt or a leopard's pelt wrapped around the neck by its paws.

My character customized a rug to look like a bear-skin rug, and thought about doing it with a cloak too =P but a little more fancy.

I've got a character with a nice bearskin cloak. But since she's not an expert/skillful tailor, I didn't get too fancy with the description. Even more fun, I totally made sure the fur I used came from bears. :D

Unfortunately, my favorite custom description is for something one of my characters made, so I'll never be able to post it. Especially since I neglected to memorize the exact description, and the person she made it for is no longer in the same place as her. Oh well!
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 pm

I was reminded of this topic, so... bump.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I hadn't realized this one existed. I'll have some to post after awhile.

But then again if people are stealing descriptions for their own use it kind of makes me not want to bother. :(

Seriously, the Cantr island guy with the rat cloak Seko mentioned in the other thread, I'd almost think that was reportable. Some characters make the effort to get hides from specific animals, or pay a good amount for a custom item authentically made from them. But I wonder if mine should bother anymore when there's people so willing to fake them.

Kind of pisses me off when people abuse descriptions that way. My chars might as well be making and selling clothes made from unicorn hide, I guess.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I'd just assume anyone that claims to have treated their shield with dragon's blood or the like is just giving an overblown marketing spiel that nobody's going to believe. :D But I wish that if someone were making a fake fur cloak or something, they'd do something like "This cloak has been sewn to look like a lion's pelt, but upon closer inspection, it's actually crafted of squirrel fur and the 'mane' is made up of their tails." That would at least be amusing.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Making an impossible description is one thing, but copying it word for word from a forum post is another. How would that be explained IC, when you've never been to that island or even have contact with people who have?

I had some stuff I had in mind to post but it really makes me not want to. They should at least be required to see the item in game before ripping it off.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:35 pm

I've seen it where a char's description had been copied and used by another player. It's not something new with item descriptions. Players see things they like and use it for themselves. Even with things like personalities, quirks, terminology, etc. It's impossible to avoid and I'm sure everyone is guilty to some degree. You like the way another player uniquely emotes a particular gesture and adopt that for yourself and so on.

The blatant copy/paste of descriptions is reportable though, I think.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown

Return to “General Discussion”