Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby MattWithoos » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 am

There is a large population of people who enjoy RP sex. I don't count myself among them but I appreciate that it's fun for them, so good for them. However, I do agree that it should be kept in-doors. In fact I think there's a rule about that. Especially when whispers can be overheard.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:26 am

MattWithoos wrote:There is a large population of people who enjoy RP sex. I don't count myself among them but I appreciate that it's fun for them, so good for them. However, I do agree that it should be kept in-doors. In fact I think there's a rule about that. Especially when whispers can be overheard.

I don't have any problem with players who enjoy RP sex, I also appreciate the fun and also find intimate relations between characters useful to build their personalities. Sex could be a significant component. I just feel uncomfortable about whispering sex, kiss or other intimate gestures. I become puzzled, just because I don't want to be a buzzkiller by interrupting the interaction and I certainly am not the last defender of the sacred rule! Still... I find it creepy when a character becomes invisible and inaudible no matter how loud he/she screams and moans in the public building with a wide open window, while he/she was detected seconds ago by another character in the harbor when he/she was smiling or clearing his/her throat.

I'm having a hard time corresponding these kind of RP. One of my characters has an intimate relationship with one of the above mentioned whisperers, so I just want to see it's logical explanation for a relief.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

There is no general prohibition against sexually explicit roleplay. However, Cantr II is open to players of all ages. Before engaging in any explicit sexual or violent roleplay, you must first secure OOC consent from an adult player. The Non-Consensual Sex Rule (NCS) entails that since minor players are considered incapable of providing consent, you must make every effort to ensure that explicit roleplay is not witnessed by them. Thus, you should avoid potentially offensive language in whispers which might be overheard in a crowd of characters of unknown players. You may request confirmation of player age from PD in private, but it is your responsibility to obtain consent.

By this whispering outside is breaking rules... Of course quite some time ago nobody could overheard whispers and even today hearing them is rare so I suppose people don't realize they can be heard
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:32 pm

The logical aspect of the issue is what puzzles me actually. If the characters "smile" is visible, other gestures he/she performs and noises he/she produces have to be visible and audible as well.
Money

Postby Money » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 am

I consider it poor form to emote "loudly" while whispering. The interface is too clunky to really allow for an easy switch between whispered speech and public emotes, so I don't oppose emoting while whispering. But just like you I find the contradiction between "loud" actions/noises and whispering just too jarring. It breaks immersion essentially.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 am

Money wrote:I consider it poor form to emote "loudly" while whispering. The interface is too clunky to really allow for an easy switch between whispered speech and public emotes, so I don't oppose emoting while whispering. But just like you I find the contradiction between "loud" actions/noises and whispering just too jarring. It breaks immersion essentially.

This.

Brushing someone's hair out of their face, a peck on the cheek, a blush or a smile- those are all things that might go unnoticed by most people in a crowded room (but not always all!). Even a smile emoted out loud is easy for your character to not see if it's not directed at them, and they aren't interacting with the character that smiles.

But flagrant actions that most people in a crowded room would notice is silly.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Very occasionally I will emote in both whisper and out loud, depending on the emote and previous roleplay (did they go behind a bush? What they just did might cause at least some noticeable rustling, etc).
Money

Postby Money » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:49 pm

If I encountered someone dealing in that kind of nuance with their RP I wouldn't mind the whispering. Sadly all I've seen is the screaming/crying whisperer. I think this is a case where only the transgressors will really be noticed.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Here is the c/p from our wiki:

The Non-Consensual Sex Rule (NCS Rule)

There is no general prohibition against sexually explicit roleplay. However, Cantr II is open to players of all ages. Before engaging in any explicit sexual or violent roleplay, you must first secure OOC consent from an adult player. The Non-Consensual Sex Rule (NCS) entails that since minor players are considered incapable of providing consent, you must make every effort to ensure that explicit roleplay is not witnessed by them. Thus, you should avoid potentially offensive language in whispers which might be overheard in a crowd of characters of unknown players. You may request confirmation of player age from PD in private, but it is your responsibility to obtain consent.

If something is overheard, the player who heard this whisper in the wind (rather than inside as it should be) has choices: They can directly address the players involved through an ooc whisper; they can tell them that they will consult PD about repeated offense (Direct address is preferable first). They could try to embarrass through a witty IC comment ("Hey you two, get a room!)... it depends on what you as a char and/or player will tolerate. You have the rules on your side...sometimes. Again, it is best that the player is responsible enough to deal with the matter themselves. But there is a time when the addressee will respond with derision or ignorance. Then you have the option to contact staff.

Some players seem to exist for the sole purpose of cyber/stalking. We ran most of them out...but a few are back and you know who you are. Lol, the same phrases and idioms give people away. Afaik from a few months back, types of rp are not restricted as much as the place that they occur restricted. Remember that not everyone is of age and for those who are, its just considered distasteful.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:36 am

Finding the racist notes I reported months ago are still there.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Dear newspawn, no, that name you heard is not familiar to you, that place is not familiar, and no, it is not a concept you cannot explain in "this tongue". :lol:

Didn't report because I am hoping it's a minor hiccup. :)
Money

Postby Money » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 pm

MattWithoos wrote:Dear newspawn, no, that name you heard is not familiar to you, that place is not familiar, and no, it is not a concept you cannot explain in "this tongue". :lol:

Didn't report because I am hoping it's a minor hiccup. :)

Potential spirit conduit RP?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Name misspellings in spoken or emoted roleplay.
Like, yo. I introduced my character. This is how their name is spelled. Quit trying to change it.

(Now if you want to play that your character is a really bad speller and misspell my characters' names in written notes, that's fine.)
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 pm

In emotes I can understand the frustration, since emoting is meant for OOC comprehension and requires clarity, but I absolutely disagree in regard to the spoken word. I can remember this one particular example where a guy popped up calling himself Satyn and everyone just called him Satin, so he kept correcting them, they kept shrugging and going "isn't that what I said?" etc., etc. If he had said Satin with a y, maybe he would have had better luck, but this stuff happens IRL too... Why not also in text games?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 pm

That feeling when you finally plan to do something and the game goes down.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “General Discussion”