Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Ahrta

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby Ahrta » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 am

Rebma wrote:Not cantr's fault but my mobile loading weird or jump loading so I end up clicking buttons I did not want to click.

Come ooooon.

This.......yes.......so many times yes
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Domesticated animal resources. Your pigs are just about ripe for slaughter and then BAM! A new pig spawns and sets the whole pack to only above average level of meat.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:10 am

Millhouse wrote:Domesticated animal resources. Your pigs are just about ripe for slaughter and then BAM! A new pig spawns and sets the whole pack to only above average level of meat.

Obviously not just the pigs, but...yup. I swear they do it on purpose! :lol:
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Okay this isn't really something that bugs me about the game, but more about the layout.

So, in my character list, at the very top are the first two characters I created when I made this, my second account back in whenever that was. Anyways, it lists them as R first, and G second... despite the fact that my player page ALWAYS listed G first and R second.

It's not even consequential but it's a bit ugh everytime I look in there.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 am

I also noticed this. I think the old order was incorrect (not the exact spawning order), and has been fixed a short time ago.
Did you spawn R & G within a very short time from each other (within, say, a Cantr hour)? R first, G shortly after?
I think ...
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 am

Characters were ordered by a spawn day, which meant the order of the characters spawned at the same day was undefined. Now it's ordered by ID, which is consistent.
It's for characters created with the same language. The most important factor used to order the characters on the list is the language ID, so English characters are always on the top.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Tiamo wrote:I also noticed this. I think the old order was incorrect (not the exact spawning order), and has been fixed a short time ago.
Did you spawn R & G within a very short time from each other (within, say, a Cantr hour)? R first, G shortly after?

They were spawned together when I opened the account back in 200-whenever it was...

They've always been ordered weird in the list and I wondered if it wasn't bc they spawned together but one died first that it got fucky.

Oh well.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Arval

Postby Arval » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm

I am utterly annoyed when the roleplay brings you to play an urgency scene with town leader and, while waiting for others to respond, everything happens (events, people coming to trade, passerbies, etc.).
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am

Almost clonic characters of the different players or the same player. Even though it's not easy to play 15 totally different personalities and each player has a favoruite pattern still seeing characters with almost identical expressions and ideas makes me feel uncomfortable about playing with those characters for I immediately foresee the possible future events. I think it's the same for many others even if they don't bother to say it openly. Despite of being an old player I've never seen myself of the shining beacon of the flawless RP nor the best example to follow, though I always try to not forget that we play this game all together and keep some diversity without deciding with what I know in OOC. But when I see a repeating circle that makes me want to avoid from those characters and even the player at times even if they're talented rpers and interesting people in RL. Some might call me biased for this, but Cantr is a game that stimulates my mind and it needs to be something I enjoy, not a place that I will polish my ego or lose myself while trying to please everyone.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm

People REPEATEDLY using broken notes and other in game mechanics to spam other players and then you have to figure out how your character reacts when it's ooc (specifically, spamming with broken color notes so the whole chat is impossible to read) there's no in game excuse for it, it's just spam. Like it's one thing if it happens once by accident and your character is all stoked, but to repeat over and over, everywhere you go, is annoying me as another player just trying to play the game, it doesn't add anything to gameplay and just interrupts the majority of people. Plus it hurts my eyes, please stop, it's not cute.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 am

miirkaelisaar wrote:People REPEATEDLY using broken notes and other in game mechanics to spam other players and then you have to figure out how your character reacts when it's ooc (specifically, spamming with broken color notes so the whole chat is impossible to read) there's no in game excuse for it, it's just spam. Like it's one thing if it happens once by accident and your character is all stoked, but to repeat over and over, everywhere you go, is annoying me as another player just trying to play the game, it doesn't add anything to gameplay and just interrupts the majority of people. Plus it hurts my eyes, please stop, it's not cute.

Pretty sure this is against the rules and should be reported if you come across it.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:51 pm

weeks and months don't exist in cantr. Weeks and months don't exist in cantr. WEEKS AND MONTHS ARE NOT A THING IN CANTR. Stop projecting real life time into the game, my characters can't respond to things that don't exist. How is 20 days = 1 year such an impossible concept? That never confused me, it's very very simple; just call it what it is in game, less than a year, more than a year, or count in days, because weeks and months are not a part of this world and it makes no sense. I hate that almost no one can treat the game world as separate from the real one, no one can forget about moons and weeks and days, they know what kittens are having never even seen a catlike animal, people bring up butter and rp cheese on pizza that my character clearly made with only dough and tomatoes because they can't let go of RL concepts and really play the game separately, it just kills the immersion.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:16 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:weeks and months don't exist in cantr. Weeks and months don't exist in cantr. WEEKS AND MONTHS ARE NOT A THING IN CANTR. Stop projecting real life time into the game, my characters can't respond to things that don't exist. How is 20 days = 1 year such an impossible concept? That never confused me, it's very very simple; just call it what it is in game, less than a year, more than a year, or count in days, because weeks and months are not a part of this world and it makes no sense. I hate that almost no one can treat the game world as separate from the real one, no one can forget about moons and weeks and days, they know what kittens are having never even seen a catlike animal, people bring up butter and rp cheese on pizza that my character clearly made with only dough and tomatoes because they can't let go of RL concepts and really play the game separately, it just kills the immersion.
I agree with all of this. I'm sorry for sometimes just going along with ooc concepts when others start it because it's slow enough going without trying to reestablish Cantrian reality.

Specifically about kittens, I can help a bit if you're willing?
Capital Rule wrote:The information in this Wiki aside, you may use only the knowledge each character obtains on their own within the game.
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Leopard
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Lion
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Ocelot
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Cheetah
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Sabre-toothed_cat
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Wildcat
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Tiger
And so on with such as snow, spotted, and clouded variations.

All of the words in the language spawn from somewhere, otherwise we'd have to invent all the words that don't happen to appear in the wiki. Perhaps it's intuitive enough that a kitten is a newspawn of one of those species? Especially the smaller ones like ocelots and wildcats, and especially since domestication shows that newspawn animals can grow in size (in meat yield).
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm

It really bugs me too every time someone mentions weeks in Cantr (I don't think I've ever heard months mentioned, personally).

I once had one of my characters look at another strangely and ask what they were going on about when they mentioned a 'week'. The other treated mine like they were stupid for not knowing :roll:
Since then, I tend to just blank over the word 'week' if it gets mentioned. Mentally switch it out for 'later' or 'a few days'.

Months certainly don't make sense in Cantr - how many would you have within those 20 days? Especially if you were going to go splitting months into weeks as well!
If your character needs a unit of time larger than a day, but smaller than a year...then a 'quart' would work quite nicely. Four quarts of 5 days each within the year. It's not difficult to come up with.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Well, same thing can be said about day/night. For some languages it will be kinda clear as most of players will be from one time zone but if it's not a case then days and nights are a bit confusing.
Also childs.. they should not exist in game but at least in polish zone they are a thing. Few times I was tempted to treat such character as mentaly ill or something but when everyone around rolls with it then kinda my own character would get strange not seeing what everyone else is.
Rest In Pieces.

Return to “General Discussion”