Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I just started wondering how people rarely ever rp combing or cutting their hair, yet most characters keep the same length hair all the time and very few have it disheveled. Some of my characters have their hair grow but some have it stay the same length because I assume they either have the tools to keep it short or it just naturally doesn't get any longer. Especially when some people have really long hair, how do they expect to keep it in check without a comb? It would be sort of cool if somebody played a hairdresser.

About annoying things, it annoys me when there are some characters who consistently speak without punctuation and all lowercase.
Not-so-sad panda
Vega

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby Vega » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I have/had some chars that used to cut their hair. And a lot that have it disheveled, or had it until someone decided to comb their hair, or gave them a comb, or things like that...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
bnlphan

Postby bnlphan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Deleted post sorry if I led to an argument.
Last edited by bnlphan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering the fine art of sleepworking
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I can be annoyed by people being in two conversations at the same time, or people whispering one conversation, while rp'ing something else that totally wouldn't go together with the whispering.

Like, say two people are cuddling together, somewhere in a building, with an open window, then suddenly someone, in -another- building, whispers to one of them, and a whole whisper-conversation follows. I can be so annoyed by that, just because, well, I guess that's kinda obvious... :roll:

[/rant]
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

bnlphan wrote:I think a lot of the things like the hair require a willing suspension of disbelief, I understand your point though.

One thing that is really annoying me lately is the method of players actions which include thoughts or something that we should not be able to notice as outside characters.

*Looks at the wolf and thinks about killing it* Should be *Looks at the wolf, then looks at his knife* or something to imply his thoughts without actually stating them..or at least say I'm thinking of killing that wolf.

Whenever I write "thoughts" I usually put "seems to be" or "apparently" because that leaves room for gray area.

-He looks towards the wolf, then at his knife, and the murderous look on his face suggests he wants to kill it.-
-He stares at the ground, his eyes blank. Apparently he was thinking about an old, dead friend because the next thing that comes out of his mouth is:- "She would've loved these earrings. I wish she were here now." -sighs-

I also like presenting possible alternate thought processes.

-The look she shoots towards him could be because she thinks he's stupid, or perhaps she's staring at the turkey walking towards the cliff behind him.-
Misato

Postby Misato » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 pm

When people seem to have infinite lung capacity to talk in long sentences with no breaks or pauses so they seem to move on from one thing to the next in mid-paragraph or sentence so everything blends together in on epic run-on sentence and I can't figure out where one sentence is suppose to leave off and the next starts or what the tone of voice is suppose to be or anything I mean are you still talking about the first ten words you said or did you move on to something else already because I really can't tell and it's very frustrating for me to follow I mean really don't you ever take a breath geeze.

*gasps for air* Yeah, that. Does that annoy anyone else, or is it just me?
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 am

Misato wrote:When people seem to have infinite lung capacity to talk in long sentences with no breaks or pauses... Does that annoy anyone else, or is it just me?

Yes! It annoys me. I also get mega annoyed with people who think *grins* is a valid emote that warrants acknowledgement.

It's at this point I have to ask... Is it considered OOC to kill characters because they have unlimited lung capacity, or godmod us into being mind readers, or emote *smiles*? Because if killing these guys is not OOC, my kill list just got real huge.
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:33 am

I get annoyed when people make public OOC comments about how they are busy at work or on the bus or something and that's what they are inactive for some period of time. It's distracting and detracts from the RP environment in a fairly jarring way.

I also find the new feature on overhearing whispered conversations kind of weird. Can someone direct me to a thread that explains how this works? Is there some random chance of overhearing? Because I have seen reams of whispered conversation I didn't hear any of, then had days where I overhead a couple of things right in a row, then again a bunch of stuff completely private. I don't understand this well and am not sure if I am supposed to be RP'ing it or what the rationale behind it is.
I kill threads. It's what I do.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 am

Overhearing whispers works like this: First it rolls a random number to define if there's a chance that a whisper was overheard by anybody. This chance is very low. If it lands positive, then it rolls separate random numbers for each character within hearing range to define if they overhead. This number is higher, but it's still more likely to be not heard, at least in small locations. Each whisper is handled individually, so hearing several in a row is just random.
Not-so-sad panda
Majix

Postby Majix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:18 pm

I get annoyed when people are so rigid about role playing. Don't do this, don't say that, don't.. don't... don't...

I'm not a very good role player, but I think my characters contributes a whole lot to the communities they are in, even if they happen to do impossible things from a role playing point of view now and then.

What if we, who not meet your standards, left the game?

What about a little humility?
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Keep it civil. Pilot.
I kill threads. It's what I do.
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm

I find Majix has a valid point.

Good role playing depends on a lot of things, among others a mastery of the language you're playing in. Not everybody who plays in English, f.ex., is a native English speaker. So while some of you may know 5 different ways of describing a 'grin', not everybody does. Another thing is that the role playing 'conventions', i.e. what is acceptable and what is 'frowned' upon, vary from place to place, so you don't always get the same role models.

Finally, if you start out, it IS by watching the really good role players that you learn to notice the little things that make characters authentic. But again, you don't always spawn in a place with really good role players. And some places are so sleepy that you can be happy that someone talks at all, even if it is from building to building.

No need to quote what has already been moderated. Pilot.
Stranger in a strange land.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm

When someone says *grins*, I usually interpret it as a cheeky kind of a smile, showing teeth. I use *grimaces* for the negative kind of a grin. Does someone actually use grins in the negative meaning of the world? If so, they should use "grins wickedly" or something. And even that could be seen as malicious glee instead of just baring teeth.
Not-so-sad panda
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Majix wrote:I get annoyed when people are so rigid about role playing. Don't do this, don't say that, don't.. don't... don't...

I agree with this and I also get annoyed when our forum moderation gets so rigid that the levels of political correctness and "niceness" reach almost the point of absurdity. (Sorry, had to get that out)

I try not to judge the RP skill of others. My own skill tends to ebb and flow depending on my time, my mood, and my motivation. I'd like to be great all the time, but it's not happening. Sometimes, my character might just feel like grinning in response to a situation. Nothingmore. Because that's who they are and it feels right. When I run across players who do things I don't agree with (like OOC comments etc), I try to whisper to them to educate them. If they are set on doing what they are doing, I will likely ignore it and make the best of the situation.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
freiana

Postby freiana » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Black Canyon wrote:...and I also get annoyed when our forum moderation gets so rigid that the levels of political correctness and "niceness" reach almost the point of absurdity. (Sorry, had to get that out)

Very much agreed.

Lately I've mostly been annoyed about the difference in wound interpretation. For some chars 40% hurt means a broken leg, for others it means bleeding all over the place, for others it means just a scratch or bruise.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became

Return to “General Discussion”