Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

freiana

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby freiana » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 pm

It's more like the cleaver is a portable machine, right?
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 am

As I understand it, that's exactly the reason, the hatchet is a portable machine. But as Doug pointed out, it's a bit different from how things normally work.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am

I've decided it's better to have one button for two object types than having cleaver icon next to every animal. If you are going to slaughter an animal then you need a cleaver anyway.
Animals already have a few special buttons and it may be needed to add more in the future. With more and more buttons there'll be too little space left for object name and other details.
For example it's how note seals currently work. Adding button for every note would not be wise. It's better to add one special button for a special tool than one button for every object which can be affected by use of this tool. I'll try to stick to this rule. For example, that will be how object descriptions system will be (partially) done.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Hmm... Less buttons is a good reason for this, I think. I know I :shock:'d when I first saw a locket... That thing has -many- buttons :mrgreen:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Is there any way to heal a wounded, domesticated animal? I can't separate it from it's pack like this, and thus can't slaughter it :|
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Greek

Postby Greek » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

This button doesn't work?

Please note this requires feed.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm

No, it didn't, I got a warning saying I couldn't do it because the animal was hurt... :/ Let me try again to be sure...

EDIT: this was the error I got:
ERROR: Can't separate animal, because it's wounded.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh wait, I'm an idiot -.- :oops:
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:35 am

Someone needs to fix the issue of being unable to join an animal with a pack. Some wires seem terribly crossed there.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Greek

Postby Greek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:58 pm

It's fixed.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks! :)
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Little question...

If someone has a pet-animal (so loyal to him/her) and then goes away, without the animal, you can still see that it's loyal to that person.
Will that notice stay visible with the animal, or will it stay 'loyal'?

And, what will happen anyway with a loyal animal when the 'owner' dies?
viktor

Postby viktor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:46 pm

idea
to allow for the domestication of at least a few of the more aggressive animals, like lions wolves jackals and wildcats (not nececcisarily bears or mammoths lol silly)
it eats meat, doesn't do much for you until it is made loyal, once loyal, it should retaliate against any assailant who hits you. more of a unique feature than anything, unless someone really invests that much time and energy into making a full out druid (talk about high maintenance)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:28 pm

The original model called for nearly all animals to be domesticatable. The only thing that differed was the degree of difficulty (and yes, the nasty ones could attack you if you failed). My understanding is that the reason that this hasn't been achieved is due to the amount of time required, and Greek has been busy lately with more "useful" implementations.

For instance, horses and elephants should be rideable, and there's no sense in making them domesticatable until that code is implemented. A pet raccoon would be insanely awesome (I'm soooo impatient for this), but as it would be 100% a role-play pet with no other purpose (along with dogs and cats, etc), it's not as high a priority as the current set of implementations being worked on.

Just my understanding of it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Suggestion Thread and Poll

After reading the discussion that's already been had, maybe you can improve it and start a new one.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”