Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby sanchez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 pm

prometheus wrote:Is there a running list anywhere of all the animals that are domesticate-able, as they're got to?

Yes! http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Categor ... le_animals
I've recently been updating all of the animals in the wiki, and am adding translations as well.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:24 pm

You are a god amongst men, Sanchez, thank you.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm

goddess* :) and you're very welcome. it's been a lot of work, so it nice to know it's needed.
Friar Briar

Postby Friar Briar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:10 am

Thank you, Sanchez! :D
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:25 am

I was gonna complain about the animals taking up resource slots but everyone is so excited to see all these changes they don't seem to care about the negatives. I may be wasting my time.....

My main issue is the question of why..... Why do they have to take up resource spots? This forces people to work together and agree on whether or not to have animals. So if the leader doesn't want animals hogging up spots then I've been denied the right to have a pet purely because of a game mechanic that isn't doing anything. Why take up a resource spot when they don't actually use it or feed themselves?

Yes the player population is low enough where this isn't always an issue and yes there is plenty of "wealth" and resources already in the game to the point it's almost pointless to farm now in a lot of places, but this is still pointless and please don't use the too much wealth excuse to justify not caring about animals taking up spots.

it's been said enough times that raising animals isn't very profitable at all, with the addition of eating up a resource spot the taming and raising of animals is purely pointless.

Some of you may be bored with most of the game and feel there is no challenge left but would this change have been made 10 years ago when the gene was still new? No. Of course not. Just because people have over farmed the game doesn't mean we need to start doing stuff that actually remove things from the game.

and while your at it fix the game so the same bighorn sheep or dire wolf or whatever can't attack more than once or hit the same person twice. In fact there shouldn't be more than one animal attack per day per town from only one pack selected at random. I think enough people have lost characters in underdeveloped towns from being mauled. Places like Fuu and Haven are not live able to a naked newspawn living by himself.

I once spawned a character on Fuu ( I think it was Fuu....) who was ignored by an old man who hunted and didn't talk, a sleeper, and the character of a new player who said he'd been playing for a couple of months. I was kinda excited to help a new player learn about the game, but eventually after starving for over 10 days and running through my third grassland town with no harvestable food in it I eventually realized I needed some in character help. I was losing a character and therefore a friend as well. I tried my best to live through it but there were no buildings to hide in no food to eat no one to ask for help and I woke up one morning to see my character getting the piss beaten out of him by hawks, bears, lions and anything else with teeth and claws. I met him on the path and basically made my frustration known through my in character reactions. I think I even deleted my characters name so I could justify perhaps reusing it one day. That's how horrible that went. So bad to the point I omitted that characters entire existence from the record. The end of the story is I arrived in the next town and just let him die. It only took a day for another three animals to maul him.

In short if animals are gonna attack me three times per day and consume resource spots when tamed then I might as well go to war with all animals and ignore all hunting laws in all towns. As a player I leave rare animals alone like giraffes and even hawks, but now as a player I've lost interest in all animals. I'm slaughtering the next hawk that hurts someone. Reminding myself of what happened on that character has put me in a bad mood. Grrrrr......
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:19 am

:shock:

That really was a rant, wasn't it? :|

A couple of things that stood out as needing to be addressed though, firstly... not all domesticated animals take up resource slots, only ones put into packs do. And it's the ones in packs that produce eggs, milk, wool and the special meats...so yeah, they produce resources.

That doesn't stop you being able to have a pet at all, just don't put your pet in a pack and farm them for their eggs or milk!

Also, one of the places you mentioned is one of the safest with regards to the animals, so I think you must be getting confused there? :lol:

And then you just seem to have gone into a rambling rant about wild, non-domesticable animals, so I don't get what that has to do with this topic at all? :roll:
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:40 am

"A couple of things that stood out as needing to be addressed though, firstly... not all domesticated animals take up resource slots, only ones put into packs do. And it's the ones in packs that produce eggs, milk, wool and the special meats...so yeah, they produce resources."

( they also consume feed which takes effort to make. I'm not seeing why the use of the plot is necessary other than to put a cap on the animals that can be placed In that one town. )

That doesn't stop you being able to have a pet at all, just don't put your pet in a pack and farm them for their eggs or milk!

( okay. That's cool at least )

"Also, one of the places you mentioned is one of the safest with regards to the animals, so I think you must be getting confused there? :lol: "

( wrong island then. I died so quickly I didn't have the chance to find a building with a name, a map, a person..... Anything at all that could have given me a sense of direction. I couldn't even cheat my way out of how screwed I was. How can I use an atlas map when I don't know which island I'm on in the first place? )

"And then you just seem to have gone into a rambling rant about wild, non-domesticable animals, so I don't get what that has to do with this topic at all? :roll:"

( my point was the disappearing resource plots weren't my only problem I've had with animal mechanics. If I can only hunt them once they shouldn't be able to attack me twice with the same pack or otherwise 3 or 4 times collectively with all available hostile packs. People even acknowledge this issue in character when the same animal attacks twice...... And I'm completely insane so yes it's easy for me to go on a rant like that. I appreciate the reply)
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 am

playerslayer666 wrote:If I can only hunt them once they shouldn't be able to attack me twice with the same pack or otherwise 3 or 4 times collectively with all available hostile packs. People even acknowledge this issue in character when the same animal attacks twice......

Don't ever come to a specific town where one of my characters is then, where hunting is strictly forbidden.

4906-5.18: You see a thing with sharp teeth and claws attack a woman in her forties.
4905-0.18: You see a big furry thing attack a woman in her forties.
4904-2.18: You see a thing with sharp teeth and claws attack a woman in her forties.
4903-7.18: You see a thing with sharp teeth and claws attack a woman in her forties.
4902-3.18: You see a harmless fluffy thing attack a woman in her forties.

4902-2.21: You enter Building, where you see 0 people, leaving the central area of Town.
4902-2.18: You get attacked by a freaking huge thing, and you lose 9 percent strength. You saved 28 percent using your kite shield.
4901-2.05: You enter Town, where you see 1 people, leaving Building.

4901-0.18: You see a big furry thing attack a woman in her forties.
4900-5.18: You see a big furry thing attack a woman in her forties.
4900-2.18: You see a feline thing attack a woman in her forties.

(Just a little note: the woman is absolutely fine, the animals were only attacking her shield. My character is just a feeble weed of a person...)
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:52 am

Yeah on one character my kite shield isn't saving me I still took 10 damage from a hyena.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:28 am

On the very first page of this topic and many throughout the discussion, as well as in the game changes/announcments( I believe) it flat out says not every animal takes a slot. If you have three sheep it takes one slot. Two cows for one slot. Etc, etc, etc. So.. relax, yeah? And maybe read through it all, because it's really not that big of a deal.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:39 am

Rebma wrote:On the very first page of this topic and many throughout the discussion, as well as in the game changes/announcments( I believe) it flat out says not every animal takes a slot. If you have three sheep it takes one slot. Two cows for one slot. Etc, etc, etc. So.. relax, yeah? And maybe read through it all, because it's really not that big of a deal.

If I'm not mistaken, if you have one sheep it still takes up a resource slot, and similarly if you have 4 sheep they'll take up two, but then you can have two more sheep for the 3/slot provision.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:42 am

Different animals have different variables for the # per slot.
Read about my characters by following this link.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:02 pm

pretty happy with the implementation of domestication. just a couple questions
how high is it in programming priority at the moment? just asking as I'm wondering when we'll see another batch of animals added to the domesticatables, I notice most (not quite all yet) birds can be domesticated, we have a good number of steeds(no elephants yet :lol: ), some good produce animals, there are still a number of interest, like rodents, primates, felines and wolves, I'm assuming ungulates(deer,moose etc..) would be low on the list

other question... I did try keeping animals.. produce animals indoors, kept fattened for a long time.. but they were never worth any product(they were not kept to be pets, they were for butchering, but ate and ate to no avail), it was not possible to milk or sheer them as that menu was not available and they never fattened up to be worth butchering, just wondering if this will change or if they will only be worth collection/butchering outside/raised outdoors?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:30 pm

viktor wrote:pretty happy with the implementation of domestication. just a couple questions
how high is it in programming priority at the moment? just asking as I'm wondering when we'll see another batch of animals added to the domesticatables, I notice most (not quite all yet) birds can be domesticated, we have a good number of steeds(no elephants yet :lol: ), some good produce animals, there are still a number of interest, like rodents, primates, felines and wolves, I'm assuming ungulates(deer,moose etc..) would be low on the list

No programming effort is needed, but it's still a major task.

viktor wrote:other question... I did try keeping animals.. produce animals indoors, kept fattened for a long time.. but they were never worth any product(they were not kept to be pets, they were for butchering, but ate and ate to no avail), it was not possible to milk or sheer them as that menu was not available and they never fattened up to be worth butchering, just wondering if this will change or if they will only be worth collection/butchering outside/raised outdoors?

Animals can be breed only outside. Most of options would need to be implemented from scratch to make them work for animal objects and there's no reason to make a change like that.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 am

Greek wrote:
viktor wrote:other question... I did try keeping animals.. produce animals indoors, kept fattened for a long time.. but they were never worth any product(they were not kept to be pets, they were for butchering, but ate and ate to no avail), it was not possible to milk or sheer them as that menu was not available and they never fattened up to be worth butchering, just wondering if this will change or if they will only be worth collection/butchering outside/raised outdoors?

Animals can be breed only outside. Most of options would need to be implemented from scratch to make them work for animal objects and there's no reason to make a change like that.

sorry, I should clarify.
I didn't mean to breed them indoors only to produce goods like more of their meats wool, eggs milk
for example, I tried putting an animal indoors for a few years I kept checking fattened the whole time
but every time I checked to butcher.. I would always get low meat so I would just not butcher and wait and wait.
eventually I couldn't keep wasting the feed so I sent them out again so they could yield very high meat
I was wondering if I can ever get very high meat amount from butchering an animal raised indoors?
I never tried having a loose animal outdoors for a year to see if that would work.. do they have to be raised for a while in a pack to become very high meat? or just outdoors?

Return to “General Discussion”