Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Chroma Key

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby Chroma Key » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I'll point you to the end of that post you've just quoted, that the list may change. I wanted to try and see for myself.
Oh, and I have now tried hunting with a hawk. I vaguely recall Seko mentioning that they cause more damage than the chars can? That doesn't seem to apply to the expert, msta hunters.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Chroma Key wrote:I'll point you to the end of that post you've just quoted, that the list may change. I wanted to try and see for myself.
Oh, and I have now tried hunting with a hawk. I vaguely recall Seko mentioning that they cause more damage than the chars can? That doesn't seem to apply to the expert, msta hunters.

I think Seko meant that hawks do more damage to animals than hawks do damage to people... Like the bone spear, for example.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Bmot. I couldn't remember the actual content and can't search for it, but what you say makes sense. :)
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Chroma Key wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Bmot. I couldn't remember the actual content and can't search for it, but what you say makes sense. :)

There:

SekoETC wrote:Hawks do more damage against animals than people.

I agree it is a bit double-interpretative.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I see how that could be taken the wrong way.
Not-so-sad panda
Raspberrytango

Postby Raspberrytango » Sun May 25, 2014 2:03 am

Please forgive me if this has already been answered, but I've searched here and in the wiki and I can't find the answer. I'm trying to tame, but don't understand the meatfeed process. I know I need a wooden bowl and meat, then I will need a wooden plate to keep the feed in for feeding, but how do I make the feed to begin with? I know this is probably such a dumb question, so thank you for your patience. :D
It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does.
― William Faulkner
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun May 25, 2014 2:09 am

Not a dumb question, here is the link to the wiki page explaining:

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Mixing_bowl#Mixing_meat_feed

You will need a source of meat (raw meat, fish) and then by "using" the bowl in your inventory, you can begin a project to make the feed itself. Once done, I think it has to go into a trough for the animals, but I can be mistaken on that part.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 am

Cdls wrote:You will need a source of meat (raw meat, fish) and then by "using" the bowl in your inventory, you can begin a project to make the feed itself. Once done, I think it has to go into a trough for the animals, but I can be mistaken on that part.

A through works, but there are multiple different "feeding containers". A plate works too, or a canvas duffel.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe if you have the bird (or any animal) in your inventory, the feeding container will have to be in your inventory as well, and the other way around, if the animal is "on the ground", the container should be on the ground as well. A worn "container" (like the duffel) counts as "being in your inventory".
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 am

You need a mixing bowl and not a wooden bowl to make the meat feed. Click on the mixing bowl, which will take you to the available projects page.

And that's right, if you are carrying an animal, you need a plate/sack/duffel etc filled with feed in your inventory, otherwise it will go hungry. If it's on the ground, your plate etc should also be on the ground.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sun May 25, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't know if anyone already asked this, but if any dogs become domesticable will they be used for hunting too? 'Cause that'd be really cool =P
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun May 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Don't see why not, seeing as I have seen people use birds for hunting already.
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sun May 25, 2014 7:17 pm

So, I'm making an effort to understand all this. Fattened means that the animal is currently in the process of gaining weight, not that it's actually 'fat'... But as long as it's just standing in town (as an object, seperate or adopted), it will be stay at the same level of meat/wool/milk whatever, and will only actually put this fat state to work when it's sent out into the field (joined with a pack)?
I suppose I'm wondering now, can animals that are domesticated and immediately put into a pack become 'fattened'? And if so, is there any actual benefit in building up hay supplies in a town with no pets?
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun May 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Swingerzetta wrote: But as long as it's just standing in town (as an object, seperate or adopted), it will be stay at the same level of meat/wool/milk whatever, and will only actually put this fat state to work when it's sent out into the field (joined with a pack)?

Correct. An animal which has just been domesticated won't have much meat on it. Click on your cleaver and you'll see that the level of meat, etc at that point is minimal. Unless you join them with a pack and keep feeding them, it won't increase.

Swingerzetta wrote: I suppose I'm wondering now, can animals that are domesticated and immediately put into a pack become 'fattened'? And if so, is there any actual benefit in building up hay supplies in a town with no pets?

Yes, the only way to increase the level of meat, milk etc is to put them into a pack. My char butchered an animal fairly straightaway after domesticating it, and got 0 grams of mutton. :D If you are considering keeping animals, building up a supply of feed/hay is a must.
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Chroma Key wrote:
Swingerzetta wrote: But as long as it's just standing in town (as an object, seperate or adopted), it will be stay at the same level of meat/wool/milk whatever, and will only actually put this fat state to work when it's sent out into the field (joined with a pack)?

Correct. An animal which has just been domesticated won't have much meat on it. Click on your cleaver and you'll see that the level of meat, etc at that point is minimal. Unless you join them with a pack and keep feeding them, it won't increase.

Swingerzetta wrote: I suppose I'm wondering now, can animals that are domesticated and immediately put into a pack become 'fattened'? And if so, is there any actual benefit in building up hay supplies in a town with no pets?

Yes, the only way to increase the level of meat, milk etc is to put them into a pack. My char butchered an animal fairly straightaway after domesticating it, and got 0 grams of mutton. :D If you are considering keeping animals, building up a supply of feed/hay is a must.

Okay, so maybe I got this backwards? I'm getting the impression from you here that it's the PACK that eats from troughs, and not the separated, object animals. Is that right? Or do both types eat from troughs just the same, but the pack uses up a gathering slot, and the object just sits there being useless and not growing?
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Yes, the pack and the objects both eat from the troughs, the objects are useless and the pack uses (a) gathering slot(s).

Return to “General Discussion”