Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby Greek » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi. In the following hours I will do final steps to give access to animals domestication for all Cantrians.

Soon it will be possible to tame: alpaca, angora goat, antelope, bighorn sheep, black sheep, buffalo, camel, cape buffalo, chamois, cow, dwarf cow, flat-tailed sheep, gaur, goat, ibex, llama, mouflon, mountain goat, musk ox, sheep, snow sheep, water buffalo, wisent, yak. It took us (mainly Doug, Pilot and me) some time to get enough data and finish their details so you'll probably have to wait for possibility to domesticate other animal species.

Important: Not all domesticated animals are the same, and some animals are not profitable for some raws. Spend time and resources domesticating them at your own risk.

All of them can eat hay (made of grains).
alpaca, angora goat, antelope,goat, llama can eat vegetable feed (made of vegetables). ;]
Most of "sheep-like" animals have pack size (number of animals which takes 1 digging slot) of 4. Most of "cattle-like" animals have pack size of 2. Chamois and mouflon are exceptions. Usually having only 1 animal in a pack isn't profitable if you want much milk/wool.
Also take in note that taming is not always successful and animals can attack you upon failure. This plus normal attack can be a deadly combo.

Soon you'll notice new objects and machines:
iron/wooden/stone trough used to store any feed and produce vegetable feed from spinach, rice, carrots, asparagus, potatoes.
haystack made of hay bundles (semi-finished products) used to produce hay from grass, wheat, sorgo, rye, barley.
steel and bone blade shears for shearing projects to get wool.
steel cleaver (stone is already there) for butchering animals.

All objects listed above will soon be described on the wiki.
Not all storages can be used to store feed, but some food-containers - like plate - can.

On mixing bowl (which is already existing machine) it'll be possible to make meat feed from meat or fish. But none of currently domesticable animals eats it.

Animals listed above give milk, wool or both. Their output differs, so some animals can be much less profitable than others. Some animals are not profitable at all, so don't be surprised. Not all values are based on real-life knowledge, so you shouldn't rely too much on https://en.wikipedia.org/.
Formulas and exact values will not be revealed, but you can post your observations on Cantr wiki.

Animals above give beef or mutton (might be funny in some cases, but it's to limit number of new raws). Hunting domesticated animals also gives beef/mutton instead of generic meat (it's a change since last preview), but in much smaller amount and independent of animal hunger. Mutton and beef are temporarily useless, but it'll be possible to convert it to generic meat quite soon. Then we'll create new recipes which will work only for beef/mutton. Amount of work to do is another reason why pork/poultry animals will have to wait.
If you think your knowledge about animals or food can help us - consider joining RD! Help in discussions will be really appreciated :)

Further details can be found there: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24171 and there: viewtopic.php?p=496405#p496405
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Greek

Re: Animals domestication - finally!

Postby Greek » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Concerning terrain types: most of animals can be bred on grassland, plains, hills, forest, beach. Some on tundra. Most of cattle cannot be bred in the mountains. Most of animals cannot be bred in the jungle and on the desert. Be cautious and ready for failure when buying/importing animals from other islands.
"Bred" means animal-object cannot be joined with a pack to increase their milk, wool OR MEAT amount. They can be possessed as pet animal-objects on any terrain.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Andu

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby Andu » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm

So, is the hay required in the taming project the same stuff you get from a rye/wheat/grass bale?
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Greek

Postby Greek » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Bales can be used just to build a haystack. Haystack is a machine which produces hay from grass/grains.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for giving me credit, Greek, but this has been your labor. I barely did anything. Kudos for all your hard work!

Now I wait patiently for raccoon domestication...<3
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 pm

And Mammoths... :D
Marian

Postby Marian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 am

Wolves and dogs should've been the first thing domesticated, you guys are doing this all backwards!
Aurora

Postby Aurora » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 am

Greek wrote:

Q: Will it be possible to separate animals from a pack and steal them immediately?
A: Yes, but maybe it'll be possible to build additional structures (like locked fences) to make it harder. But, you know, it's owner's work to stop the thief. Other thing goes with newspawns, but they have no vehicles and it's not possible to hurt even small animals immediately. It can be also decided that action requires special tools like a harness. Your chickens will be safe. :)

Okay, to make it clear, there is a drag button on the animal/object. And latter in the Q&A, it says they can be stolen. And as stupid and maybe pointless as it may be, I need to make sure I understood this.
Means they can be moved to a building (or even transported on a car or ship)?
Into the darkness you shine
Out of the ashes we rise
There's no one like you
None like you!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am

Yes. You can (in theory) go to one island, domesticate a pack of animals, bring it home to your island and set them free to populate the island with new animals.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 am

That's a new type of warfare right there.

Or will be once we domesticate elephants and such.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 am

And lions and tigers and bears (oh my).

Here kitty kitty. :twisted:
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 am

EchoMan wrote:Yes. You can (in theory) go to one island, domesticate a pack of animals, bring it home to your island and set them free to populate the island with new animals.

That's not a theory, that's a plan! :mrgreen:
I think ...
freiana

Postby freiana » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:09 pm

So... Will I be able to attack people with tigers in the future? :shock: I WANTS!
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Rugila

Postby Rugila » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Freiana i think you have to suffice for basic Steel longsword or a crossbow for quite a while!
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am

Is there anywhere that has a summary of this entire process, that explains the mechanics of the system, i.e. how to tame or domesticate? What is needed before you can if anything? How and what to feed them, etc.
I understand the concept, but when I go to the domestication page, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do, how long it will take, etc. etc. I need a guide.

Return to “General Discussion”