Animals domestication - finally there!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Re: Animals domestication - finally there!

Postby MattWithoos » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:22 am

Are you an expert at hay making? Maybe you made it really good so they wanted to eat it all. :mrgreen:
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:16 am

Maybe the buffalo has the sneezing virus or that one that makes you eat 2x food a day?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 am

Its probably too late; well, not even probably.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:36 pm

So, there's still a lot that doesn't work for animals that isn't being fixed. Animals don't return to wild when hyngry anymore even if there are wild animals of the same kind, this was supposed to be part of the mechanics to allow animals back in the wild, but it stopped working apparently and now all animals just die when they starve, why can't this get fixed?or start giving the owner of an animal the option to just release them, if we can click tame and adopt, why can't we click release and just be done with this mess?
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Where was it reported?
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Do you mean anything other than these two things when you say a lot hasn't been fixed?
  1. Animals should be put back into the wild when hungry instead of dying.
  2. You should be able to release an animal back into the wild.
I think those are good ideas.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
AshBee
Game Mechanics Member

Postby AshBee » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Joshuamonkey wrote:Do you mean anything other than these two things when you say a lot hasn't been fixed?
  1. Animals should be put back into the wild when hungry instead of dying.
  2. You should be able to release an animal back into the wild.
I think those are good ideas.

As long as there were wild of the type of animal they used to turn back wild. Now they starve. It's a sad change now that if they are hungry they die even if there is a wild pack of the same animal they could just join. I do agree with the suggestion though. It would be nice to just release animals if there is a wild pack to put them with.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm

yes, precisely what I mean, animals used to go wild as was originally stated in implementation, that as long as there are wild ones it "returns to wild because of hunger", but now all animals die of starvation, whether there is a wild pack or not. So obviously someone changed something or it broke, and it should either be fixed, or you should make an announcement to players that animals cannot be released anymore and have to be killed, so people don't have to be surprised when they try to RP someone releasing an animal and then it just dies. It's not fun and now my characters are all going to want to prohibit animal taming because of this turn in events.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
AshBee
Game Mechanics Member

Postby AshBee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 am

Did it change back? In the last couple days animals have returned to the wild. It would be nice to know either way.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:34 am

There was no recent change. It's likely that in some situations they return to the wild, and sometimes they die, either due to not being able to join a pack or with randomness, as do many things in Cantr and real life. Sorry I don't yet know for sure.
While this makes sense for starving animals, it's a problem if there isn't any way to return animals to the wild other than starving them, which isn't a very pleasant thing to do even if it is the character's intention for them to return to the wild.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Joshuamonkey wrote:it's a problem if there isn't any way to return animals to the wild other than starving them, which isn't a very pleasant thing to do even if it is the character's intention for them to return to the wild.

Yeah, especially if there's other animals about that you don't want to be going back to the wild as well.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am

Why do the little animal silhouettes for horses look like dogs? I know there are ones that look like horses.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm

The buttons represent actions, not the animals themselves. Adoption is represented by an icon of the dog, while saddling is represented by a horse. If it's different, then it might be a bug.
The same action should always get the same icon. Sometimes multiple actions are represented by a single icon (in different contexts) but that's not a good thing...
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:59 am

Greek wrote:The buttons represent actions, not the animals themselves. Adoption is represented by an icon of the dog, while saddling is represented by a horse. If it's different, then it might be a bug.
The same action should always get the same icon. Sometimes multiple actions are represented by a single icon (in different contexts) but that's not a good thing...
I see that the two with dog icons say "adopt this steed" when you hover over them. I don't think that either are up for adoption even though no one ever rides them. I'm not sure what you mean by "saddling." My steed has a saddle, gets ridden and has a horse icon.

I know it's not a priority but I think less cryptic icons could be used since, as far as I can tell, there is no way to know what they indicate other than, "This is a horse" or "This is a dog."
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:29 am

PaintedbyRoses wrote:
Greek wrote:The buttons represent actions, not the animals themselves. Adoption is represented by an icon of the dog, while saddling is represented by a horse. If it's different, then it might be a bug.
I see that the two with dog icons say "adopt this steed" when you hover over them. I don't think that either are up for adoption even though no one ever rides them. I'm not sure what you mean by "saddling." My steed has a saddle, gets ridden and has a horse icon.

I know it's not a priority but I think less cryptic icons could be used since, as far as I can tell, there is no way to know what they indicate other than, "This is a horse" or "This is a dog."

Your character can adopt a steed even if it has an owner. Tamed/adopted pets always have a dog icon for adoption to the people that don't own it. The character just might get in trouble with the owner/guardians if they try it.

The horse icon on your own steed is there for unsaddling. If you unsaddle it, it goes to the objects page and has one there so it can be saddled again. The horse icon is always there (instead of the dog adoption one) for your own steed, whether it is saddled or not saddled.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!

Return to “General Discussion”