Resource Overabundance: Why There's No War In Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Neva

Re: Resource Overabundance: Why There's No War In Cantr

Postby Neva » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 pm

It has been a war in Cantr history between two language groups, like ten years ago. It was pretty big for those times. The reason was an attack, occured during an attempted robbery. One of the characters was killed as I remember. The war stretched to a RL year. It was a devastating experience because of the time limit back then. None of the players from both group survived it, because none of them could RP anymore. Furthermore it had also induced an obvious OOC hatred between players.

Maybe the unity, which is mandatory to start and fight a war, requires more than IC cultural values in present Cantr.
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

There was once a time that I still remember when all the resource slots in many towns were taken up, and so rules and laws came about, including taxes, citizen-only gathering and more.

It's theoretically possible that with a large enough playerbase, small or mid-sized continents would have a food crisis. This would be resolved in one of two ways - food imports from the large continents (such as Fu), or, war. Of course, the most likely is that people would be focused on food production, cooking and optimisation. But a permanent solution would be cleansing or imports.
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:34 pm

It would be pretty cool if there was more limited food so we can't just have enough food for everyone so easily (and to reward cooking which right now is pretty terrible except for RP). With so few people now though that isn't going to happen.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Actually cooked food is much better than eating raw, and not just for RP. I sincerely hope they do not limit food resources, it would hinder many of the manned outposts off in the middle of nowhere who are already just barely making it with a few people.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 pm

If you notice most of the newer recipes, the time to gather and cook the ingredients means you get roughly five days worth of meals for each day of effort at making the meals. This seems about right, as it would mean roughly twenty percent of a society would need to be involved in some part of the food industry. Places are actually going through their food ingredients faster than they seem to realize. There was just so much in storages to start with that people haven't felt the pinch yet, in most places.
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Ahrta wrote:Actually cooked food is much better than eating raw, and not just for RP. I sincerely hope they do not limit food resources, it would hinder many of the manned outposts off in the middle of nowhere who are already just barely making it with a few people.

How are they better? One day of work with a dung fork gets you 9.6 days worth of potatoes even post nerf. What cooked food is more efficient than that factoring in time to collect or manufacture ingredients?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:53 pm

1000 g roasted potatoes - 1 day

1000 g potatoes - 3200 a day without fuel 0.3125
50 grams of onion - 1300 grams a day with a shovel 0,03846153846153846153846153846154
25 grams of coal - 500 g a day with a pickaxe 0.05

Approximately 1.4 days to make 1000 grams.

714 g per day. That means 21.6 days of food per a day of work. Far better than your 9.6 days. Not to mention you can buy petrol and get it even cheaper.
Not-so-sad panda
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Slight correction the math to make roasted potatoes 1 day of work gets you 30 days worth of food, using the potatoes you need to use 3 days worth of food and 5/16 of a day (to collect 1000 grams of potato), coal for it takes 1/20th of a day and onions are that number you said. So for 27 days of food you spend 1.4505 days rounding slightly for 19.27 days. So I cede this point (though petrol increases the efficiency of potatoes as only a few stages get helped with the use of fuel for roasted potatoes while 100% of the potato collection is helped with fuel. Over all moot point as we aren't looking at fuel and while we could calculate it that starts getting annoying as it adds several steps)
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Tandoors are not super-common nor cheap, though. It takes some specific materials, tools and machines to make one. But there are similar foods like fish sandwiches or shawrama that provide a lot of food for a single day of work and use cheaper machinery.
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Fish sandwiches are not that good though due to all their steps. You produce 25 days worth of food from 1 days of work but you use 5 food days worth of fish and 2/5th of a day to cook the fish, 20/75 of a day to catch the fish, 6.38 days worth of food from bread, ignore automated process to cook it, 3/18 of a day milling the wheat and 3/45 of a day getting the wheat with a scythe. Ignoring coal costs as I'm lazy and you get about 7.2 ood per day of work getting to that sandwhich (13.62 days of food every 1.9 days)

Though thinking about it, I'm not sure if the food cost (the cost of making food into other food) is included already or not. If you made a theoretical food that uses one day of food to make one day of a different food is the efficiency zero (it isn't increasing the amount at all) or is it one day of food over the total time to produce.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:32 pm

@chemosh: It would be the first food's efficiency, divided by two, from your given specifications.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 pm

I think I understand what you're asking and the answer is no. You just add up the production costs. You don't subtract what you would have had if you had not used edible food to make different food.

I came up with 12.5 days worth of fish sandwiches for a day if work but feel free to check my math. I assumed using a fishing pole, millstone, coal oven and automated method of baking bread.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54 am

The only wars left are ideological ones.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:14 am

To have food crisis Cantr population would need to be enormous. Not only biger than now but much bigger than it ever was. And redesigning it now is not an option. Cantr world is generaly to abundant in resources you can get in one place or smal area.
But chainging it now would not be fair.
Rest In Pieces.
ManyVoices

Postby ManyVoices » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:51 pm

What would be cool, is if a modifier could be added into the game, much like real life, droughts and such exist.

Maybe it's a bad few years or decade for crops. Output is reduced by x%, during those years. The game could create a random percentage, then affect all resource gathering on crops for x many years. That would actually give a reason for all the hording that can go on.

Imagine what it would do to the economy, if crop yields weren't static!

Return to “General Discussion”