Building Destruction

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Re: Building Destruction

Postby Doug R. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Let's start negotiating a compromise to get this closer to reality:

Doug's Proposal:

-Everything inside the building being destroyed is also destroyed completely upon project completion, except for characters, anything being carried by characters, and notes (maybe only uneditable notes?)

-There is no resource return except for the building being destroyed. That means if you're destroying a stone building with 5 rooms, you only get back a % of the stone used on the main building, and nothing from the rooms.

-No damage to characters inside upon completion. They're just moved to the next location.

Implications: Loss of internal resources encourages the disassembling of buildings piecemeal, if possible, and makes knocking down main buildings with things inside an option of last resort.

Points of debate: How much time to destroy a building? Is that time dependent on internal rooms? What tools to destroy a building?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
freiana

Postby freiana » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Would it also be possible to destruct inner rooms separately? I would think that is the fairest way to do it, otherwise there is no way at all to get that material back.

As for time; definitely long. It also takes ages to build it, after all. Maybe the same time as the building process takes? Using a sledgehammer? Not sure, just ideas.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:43 pm

freiana wrote:Would it also be possible to destruct inner rooms separately? I would think that is the fairest way to do it, otherwise there is no way at all to get that material back.

I think so.

Doug R. wrote:Let's start negotiating a compromise to get this closer to reality:

Doug's Proposal:
(...)

Sounds good.

Points of debate: How much time to destroy a building? Is that time dependent on internal rooms? What tools to destroy a building?

I think time can be more or less similar to build time but set by RD for every building type to avoid problems like brick building/log cabin. Extensions should matter in destruction time to make fortresses useful.
Tools: these used for construction and maybe something special and visible for others used only for building destruction (to make looters recognizable). And crowbar when building has a lock.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Addendum:

-crowbar always necessary for any lockable building type (it's just easier this way)

-needs a sledgehammer (replaces trowel). If possible to require different tools for different buildings, then sledge replaces trowel, something else replaces hammer for wood (maybe a saw? it's in game but has no use).

-interior structures can be separately destroyed

Suggestions:

-Destruction time is the sum of the build time of the main building being destroyed, plus 1/2 the build times of all internal structures.

-Destruction projects can be reversed into a normal building project.

Essential: Characters inside a building being destroyed, or even inside a room inside a building being destroyed, get a notice of this, possibly more than once.
Greek

Postby Greek » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Ah, yes. Trowel isn't good tool to destroy a stone building. :D
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
viktor

Postby viktor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 am

we should be able to reinforce from inside, like a reapir project within to counter what is happening outside...
based on building skill
1 person of average skill destroying from outside is as effective as another person of average skill repairing from inside
this gives reason to have a larger force outside to take down a fortress, which scares the people inside from taking them on face to face and can only feebly try to slow down the collapse of their 170 room fortress.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:29 am

Doug R. wrote:Let's start negotiating a compromise to get this closer to reality:

Doug's Proposal:

and notes (maybe only uneditable notes?)

All notes should be saved or we could lose a lot of history. It has always been very important to Jos that we not lose the notes.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 am

I like Doug's latest proposal and agree with Oasis. Destruction should be faster than building, I'd say, and I'm not really convinced you should get resources back. Shouldn't we invent a new resource ("broken stone" or something)?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm

What would a new resource do? Just form a useless pile in the center of town?
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Maybe call it 'rubble' or something, and make it a project to get a bit of resources out it, anyway? That way, you don't have to make the destroying project very long, and still have some resources out of it.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Greek

Postby Greek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

From my point of view, the biggest problem with destroying barricaded extension with people inside is: what should happen when building being parent of the extension has less free space than content of the extension? Easiest idea is to permit temporary exceeding maximum capacity, but wouldn't it be exploitable in some manner?
It may happen especially with ships and holds, so we must take care of it.
I think resources got from destruction is secondary thing, but making it worth time spent would at least partially solve problem of big abandoned towns :D
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:24 pm

That is an interesting problem. If you have them skip the "clogged" location and move them to the next location out, they could trap the person that broke them out in the first place. Maybe just move them out into the town, no matter where they are inside?
Greek

Postby Greek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 pm

But what about ships?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 am

It was discussed in the sinking ships discussion that characters could wash up at the nearest location. Maybe do that?

Alternatively, we could revisit the suggestion of separating max # of characters from the weight capacity of the room, so characters that don't exceed # of characters but exceed the weight max can move into the room, but have limited abilities.

Or, we can just have the destruction project fail. It could maybe fail to 99% complete, so that it only takes an extra hour once the room has been sufficiently cleared.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 am

How about a new vehicle type; excavator? Trashes buildings quickly. :)

Return to “General Discussion”