Current Status of Cantr II 2.0 (To Jos)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:20 am

I think that would be soo cool to be able to play meh's baby.... hehehe... ASSISINATE MY FATHER AND TAKE THE THROWN!!!!!! :twisted:

So you are proposing two games going on at once... Wouldn't that take up a lot of space (Forgive my ignorance please if It's a dumb question)
I'm so cool 8-)
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:43 am

if a paralel cantr ever did start i'd love to be able to start whole new char's over there since i love starting in a brand new area and having to struggle up from nothing

wonder's how to get the char number up to 10,000
boomhaeur

Postby boomhaeur » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:07 pm

"899-2 Project Makin' Bacon has complete, 10g of baby deposited into Woman in her Twenties Inventory"
Meh

Postby Meh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:10 pm

PsychoEmperor wrote:I think that would be soo cool to be able to play meh's baby.... hehehe... ASSISINATE MY FATHER AND TAKE THE THROWN!!!!!! :twisted:

So you are proposing two games going on at once... Wouldn't that take up a lot of space (Forgive my ignorance please if It's a dumb question)

I'd compare being a parent IG to running a town. It is going to be alot of work and time. So only one character will have children. And that character will have as many as possible. So you'll have to work your way through the entire line of your 32 older siblings no matter if you start at the top or from the bottom. And the thrown will be penniless because of food expense. A good place to raise children is a better place to raise grand children. The canidate characters are nearing their 30s which is shortening the amount of offspring they can have.

As for a second game. It's not a dumb question. The space is not so much a problem as the power to run it. However you'd have the think if a person wasn't playing a second one they be playing more of a first one anyway.

And a key feature I would like to see....1 character limit. The current game provides enough characters to keep a player busy. In fact if there are multiple games shouldn't the orginal game have less maximum chracters per player? By attrition not deleting everyone down to a maximum. Say 14 in the current game and 1 in the other.
PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:11 pm

*shrugs* I never use the 15 limit anyway... I find that after about 10 I no longer want to get involved in the community .... so I usually end up just killing them off or "running a muck" with them out of sheer boredom... Right now I think I'm at about 8 and I'm happy with that number, I can keep up with all the places and participate, and if I wanna runa muck, I'll have a reason too... *shakes fist at someone in someplace who is about to make him run a muck* How dare she ask me.. My name!? Does she not know who I am!?.... Well I guess she doesn't because of the question... but still! :x
I'm so cool 8-)
PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:15 pm

Meh wrote:
PsychoEmperor wrote:I think that would be soo cool to be able to play meh's baby.... hehehe... ASSISINATE MY FATHER AND TAKE THE THROWN!!!!!! :twisted:

I'd compare being a parent IG to running a town. It is going to be alot of work and time. So only one character will have children. And that character will have as many as possible. So you'll have to work your way through the entire line of your 32 older siblings no matter if you start at the top or from the bottom. And the thrown will be penniless because of food expense. A good place to raise children is a better place to raise grand children. The canidate characters are nearing their 30s which is shortening the amount of offspring they can have.

As for a second game. It's not a dumb question. The space is not so much a problem as the power to run it. However you'd have the think if a person wasn't playing a second one they be playing more of a first one anyway.

And a key feature I would like to see....1 character limit. The current game provides enough characters to keep a player busy. In fact if there are multiple games shouldn't the orginal game have less maximum chracters per player? By attrition not deleting everyone down to a maximum. Say 14 in the current game and 1 in the other.

lol so we are going to be like ants... each town get's a queen .... Long live the queen! ... *thinks* if there's not one in everytown, I forsee a day when the "fertile ones" (as I'm sure they will be called... spread the word :wink: ) well be a rare commody and be kidnapped inorder to protect a kingdoms place in the world.... "Protect the Fertile One!" as what they will chant hehehe :wink:
I'm so cool 8-)
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:01 am

For those looking for info on Cantr II 2.0...
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:34 am

In a valid sense, none of us have a right to complain, this being free and so on. That said, I'm going to complain anyway. Gratitude for what we alredy have is implied.

Serenity (rklenseth) wrote:So Cantr II 2.0 won't be a startover of the game. The game will continue as is into the next version and I don't see a problem with that.

Cantr with a grid system is simply not at all the same game as cantr that we have now. It isn't a change of interface, it isn't a new feature, it's a gut-and-replace on the basic mechanics of the world, which to my knowledge has never been done before.

It's possible that there's a way of doing the grid system so that it will be as good as or better than what we have now. But I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't think that that improvement would be an improvement, in the end. And it's too fundamental to be survivable if it is bad.

Of course, I've said all this before somewhere.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Appleide

Postby Appleide » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:39 am

But just don't make food so easy to get
Lumera

Postby Lumera » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:16 pm

While I do enjoy the current game, I guess I've always looked at it as an experiment, a beta version of what it will eventually be. Right now there are definitely balance issues, and porting everything over won't do anything to fix them. Personally, I'd like to see a reset, even if it meant losing my favorite characters, because it just wouldn't feel right playing them in a drastically different world when they're used to the way things work in the old one. (And while I want things to be a *lot* harder, it sounds like the changes will mainly effect newspawns, while old characters who got plenty of iron or weapons or vehicles back when it was easy will still have the same huge advantage they have now.)

And if it is a direct port, are the characters all supposed to pretend like nothing has changed? If there are suddenly things like weather, diseases, etc, it'll lead to changes in the way societies are arranged, and acting ICly that it's always been that way won't make much sense if everyone's scrambling around trying to figure things out and adjust.
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:26 pm

I suggested a reset before, but got accused of being "jealous" of other people's chars *shrugs*.... I guess some people are just too attatched to their characters. And besides, society would have to develop all over again. But its true, I dont see how they will rework all of the current things.

Another thing I would like to see about Cantr II... you shouldnt be able to weigh things by (hand?). You should need a scale.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:36 pm

I am against a reset and all of my characters are new.

Plus, I don't think it is any harder to play today then it was when I first started 2 years ago. I think most people forget that this is a social game. You socialize with other characters and you will get what you need and want. Most people try to play this game as loners where they gather all the resources themselves, build all the machines, tools, weapons, protection, and buildings by themselves. This isn't that kind of game and that is one reason why resources it making things harder. One of the major problems is that no economies can really start if people do everything else and that is why you are seeing stuff being broken down into parts with specialized machines and tools needed to make them and now it is nearly impossible for just one character to do everything. Now characters can specialize and real economies can start and in the end you'll need more characters to build stuff and get things done than you use to.

I guess I always played this game on a social level rather than a loner level so I never ran into these problems but now I am realizing that some players play this on a lone gunman level. It can work but it will take you a lot longer to get things done. :wink:
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:58 pm

The argument for a reset is that you can easilly do everything yourself. All you need is a pile of pre-change iron, and none of the new features will stop you, or even hinder you much. Even more true if you have a heap of pre-change(s) hi-tech equipment.

Societies don't normally develop in an environment where the most desirable items take years and years to make...but there are warehouses with dozens of them sitting over there. So instead of working with people to make sabres or whatever, which still requires a very large investment of time, the reasonable thing to do is to integrate yourself into a group that doesn't need to do any work to provide the sabre.

Plus, knowing who some of your characters have been, I think by "social" you mean exploiting people too stupid to demand that you give them as much as their time is worth. :wink:
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:28 pm

The Industriallist wrote:Plus, knowing who some of your characters have been, I think by "social" you mean exploiting people too stupid to demand that you give them as much as their time is worth. :wink:

Sure some of my characters exploited others and some of my other characters were exploited by other characters.

I would imagine that you are talking perhaps about James Whitmore. Believe it or not he was going to pay all of his workers for their work but the problem was that he also needed to customers to generate wealth first so he couldn't pay his workers right away because he didn't have very much to pay with that wasn't either needed for trading or needed to work on things but then he died (because I went away for the summer) so he never got to pay workers.

If you are talking about someone else then by all means elaborate on who and what he did exactly to exploit characters. The only others might be Sester Gartaf (who would be wrongly accused because he just enforced the laws that the Emperor placed down). I can't think of anyone else.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:38 pm

:cry: This thing is suddenly scaring me. At one point... there will be an end of the world and all my charries will die, most likely at the same time. It's hard enough losing one. Well the newest ones aren't so important but the old ones I've lived with so far that if all ends with a big bang then I don't know how I'll react.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “General Discussion”