Current Status of Cantr II 2.0 (To Jos)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

rklenseth

Current Status of Cantr II 2.0 (To Jos)

Postby rklenseth » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:46 am

I'm just wondering what the current status of Cantr II 2.0 is? I know you said in another thread that you were halfway done or something. When do you think you will done and the final version will be implemented? Just a rough estimate.

From you posts on the grid system about Cantr II 2.0 it seems you were saying that this version would be more powerful and put less strain on the game? Does this mean that we can expect weather, diseases, we already know about grid system, etc... because it is more powerful than the database web version of Cantr?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:31 am

I really can't say, I'm afraid. 'Halfway done' is definitely not the case :) ... I was talking about the grid system itself, which is halfway done, but that's about the only thing that's done so far :) ... So Cantr II 2.0 currently has no objects, notes, vehicles, talking, violence, etc. :) ... Just a grid and you can walk on it :) ... And that is only halfway done :) ...

It is really hard to make any estimate. I have one in mind, but I'm not sure I should make it public ;) ... So far, it has always been disappointing. I started programming first 1.5 years ago. Then gave up because the basic structure was not good. Then a few months ago, I set up a 2.0 development group; some people applied, but nobody did anything. So I gave up on that one. Now, fairly recently, I started from scratch again, and this time the basic structure is much better, so I'm hoping that I won't have to give up again at some point.

But, this is a huge and ambitious project and it will take a long time. After that, it will take quite some time of testing and then transferring the current system will be quite complicated and labourous, I fear. So, definitely not all done before Christmas, and I have no idea how long it will take after that.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:32 am

Oh, and I will refuse to start 2.0 without a weather system :D ... About the diseases - we'll see. First some other stuff ;) ...
Revanael

Postby Revanael » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:28 pm

Its not in PHP this time, is it? If it is, I'd offer to help...

(see http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~chaosrealm/layout.v5.php, the news section, for something I have done, if you really want...)
nitefyre

Re: Current Status of Cantr II 2.0 (To Jos)

Postby nitefyre » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:55 pm

Jayne (rklenseth) wrote:I'm just wondering what the current status of Cantr II 2.0 is? I know you said in another thread that you were halfway done or something. When do you think you will done and the final version will be implemented? Just a rough estimate.

From you posts on the grid system about Cantr II 2.0 it seems you were saying that this version would be more powerful and put less strain on the game? Does this mean that we can expect weather, diseases, we already know about grid system, etc... because it is more powerful than the database web version of Cantr?

Lol Cantr II 2.0.

Cantr II is assumedly the second version of Cantr. Cantr II 2.0 is the second version of Cantr II. So Cantr II 2.0 is the second version of the second version of cantr. So is it Cantr IIx2, or Cantr 2^2, or Cantr 2+2, they all equal 4. So why not just call it Cantr 4? Or better yet, if it is to make any sense, why not Cantr III. *ugh*
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:01 pm

Because Cantr I is a play by e-mail world that doesn't exist anymore. Cantr II 1.0 and 2.0 are going to be the same exact world just a different system.
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:09 pm

Jayne (rklenseth) wrote:Because Cantr I is a play by e-mail world that doesn't exist anymore. Cantr II 1.0 and 2.0 are going to be the same exact world just a different system.

Would you be able to play it via the old Cantr II 1.0 method or will we be made to play it Cantr II 2.0 wise?
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:31 am

I think it would be cool if we could just all start over...I would like to see the way things were in the primitive times. Plus with a whole new system transferring over current game data would be a huge project not to mention take tons of time debugging advantages/disadvantages people will get since the codes will be different...but I thats just me what do you guys think about starting the game over in a sense when the new version comes out.

I just think its wierd with bikes and cars when there are primitive weapons like bowes, shields, and swords.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:41 am

No. And Jos has made it pretty clear that he wouldn't start the game over. So much has happened and been done to just erase all of it.
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:44 am

Hmm...I guess I just see a big problem arising if it doesnt happen...maybe its just me though
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:40 pm

Indeed, it is quite a challenge to change the game yet to keep the current storyline, but that is without any doubt the plan, and no new version will be introduced without transferring the current storyline.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:41 pm

Oh, and it is very unlikely that you will be able to play in the current way when we upgrade, but I do try to make the new user interface a little 'familiar', even though it will quite change as it is more based on playing on a game map.
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:56 pm

What do you think about a skill/stat system Jos? I know this isnt the right thread but I would like to hear your and Jaynes PoV on this subject
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:56 pm

If you have already talked about it in another thread you can just point me in the right direction
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:03 pm

Ok now back on subject why cant we keep the same storyline but when a new version begins you could change the current structures and weapons etc. for example since the game is sort of unbalanced now. If a character currently has a sabre and an iron shield you could change it to a sword and shield made of iron or bronze not something so advanced (I have no idea what all the new weapons are going to be but Jayne says theres going to be a lot) Current bikes and cars could be changed to horses or carriages or something...Just some ideas it wouldnt change the story line any I think it fits better personally

Return to “General Discussion”