Current Status of Cantr II 2.0 (To Jos)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:20 pm

I'll have to agree on the starting over part... I mean I love all the cool stuff my characters have gotten over the years... but they are going to die of old age eventually right? Well that's just my point of view, I say start from scratch, with all the new stuff.. it would be cool.. I think so.

But if not... since I'm sure noone agrees with me lol My position is as follows:

Either we start from scratch, or we leave everything they way it is... As you said, it's going to be difficult enough just transferring everything, but then transferring everything and having to worry about changing it or "downgrading" the items at the same time would be way to complicated,

In Short-
Start from scratch, if not leave it alone.
I'm so cool 8-)
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:59 pm

I don't see why you guys are complaining. It's not like Jos is using an taxpayer's money to to sit behind a computer and write these codes. He is doing this for fun (I think). He has been wanting to do a Cantr II 2.0 version for a long time that would be more powerful than the current database version and that can do so much more. But he said that the world and everything in it would be transferred over to the 2.0 version and the 2.0 version would only happen if this was possible.

If Jos was to start everything from scratch then why bother calling it Cantr II 2.0 but Cantr III. Think of Cantr II 2.0 as an updated and better version of the current game we have now. It won't be a new game. A new interface and more things yes but not a new game.

Plus, Jos has made pretty clear that even though he is developing Cantr II 2.0 all the other Cantr II 1.0 programmers are still working on this version so this version will continue to evolve as far as possible while the newer version is created, tested, and eventually introduced after everything is set up.

I trust Jos. He did create the original Cantr II 1.0 so I have faith that he can do everything he says he is going to do for 2.0.

So Cantr II 2.0 won't be a startover of the game. The game will continue as is into the next version and I don't see a problem with that.

And I also don't see the problem with character's dying. It is the evolution of a society that a younger generation replaces the older generation. If you don't have this then things will never change unless some group comes in and slaughters the other groups which gets quite boring after a while. I would likes to see Quillanoi and how it evolves in 5 real life years someday when my characters there are gone. Without the death of the older generation then we will never have this evolution of the societies in the future.
boomhaeur

Postby boomhaeur » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:21 pm

I agree with Jayne's comments above... to throw away the "world" when a new version comes around would be disastrous.

1) Characters die, yes, that's part of the game. It also means your younger characters will have the opportunity to grow and establish themselves into higher positions if that's what you desire.

2) There is a tonne of "new"/undiscovered/just being discovered lands - this game is far from played out.

3) At the end of the day this is a society simulator more than a game. Resetting it every couple of years completely defeats the purpose. It will be amazing a few years down the road to see how the population has grown and the regions have changed.

Everything Jos has made public about the 2.0 app sounds great - I think the Grid system will revolutionize the game and actually make it that much more enjoyable to play and experience.

Besides why waste your time complaining about somethign that is in it's infancy and long from completed. Save the criticism and whining for when you actually see screen grabs / firm details about 2.0 - Personally I think it's going to rock.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:22 pm

Thank you, Richard :) ... I completely agree with you (except the trust in me part, of course, on which I won't comment ;) ...)

About the skills system: I really explained several times now how it is going to be implemented :) ... There will be more stats then just 'strength'; there will be genetically transferred skills, that will be invisible to the player; both genetic skills and experience will influence those skills (that will still be invisible), while only the genetic skills will be genetically transferred. Skills will be randomly assigned initially, and then genetically transferred.
PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:35 pm

I think you guys misunderstood my comment, I have no problem with transferring, I was just stating an opinion.
*back on topic*

So when I make a new character... he will get genetic makeup from one of my old characters like "his father" or will the genetic makeup be random?

Edit: I already have generatoin characters, I have a Alex the Third and a Gregory the fifth..hehehe, one of them is going to avenge his great grandfather, and the other is following in his dad's dream of having a house by the shore...I won't say which is which :roll:
Last edited by PsychoEmperor on Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm so cool 8-)
kroner

Postby kroner » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:37 pm

no, he'll have an actual father.
DOOM!
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:03 pm

kroner wrote:no, he'll have an actual father.

How annoyin it'd be if you get a new cantrian player to play your son and have them quit on you, hence making the offspring die. :x

Oh and p.s., how would char's offspring be matched to current chars? Would they be born asexually er what?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:17 pm

Jos is eventually going to introduce reproduction (or for the immature people, sex) which will produce babies

Alright, I'm going to break some news to you all. You didn't arrive at your doorstep wrapped in a blanket that was carried by a stork. You see, you have man and then you have a woman....oh, just ask your parents!

Anyways, I believe it was said that one would have a certain amount of character slots for spawned characters and then a certain amount of character slots for born characters.

So eventually one will play babies and children and then they will grow up into strapping young men and women in their twenties.

That is where the genetics and stuff come in.

As far as genetics for spawned character, I would imagine that they would be given the genetic look of the region they are spawned into.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:18 am

well in hat case can we have tele's and video's and video camera's in cantr? when rewoduction" comes in i want to make the first antr pron movie :lol:
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:54 am

Jayne (rklenseth) wrote:Jos is eventually going to introduce reproduction (or for the immature people, sex) which will produce babies

Alright, I'm going to break some news to you all. You didn't arrive at your doorstep wrapped in a blanket that was carried by a stork. You see, you have man and then you have a woman....oh, just ask your parents!

Anyways, I believe it was said that one would have a certain amount of character slots for spawned characters and then a certain amount of character slots for born characters.

So eventually one will play babies and children and then they will grow up into strapping young men and women in their twenties.

That is where the genetics and stuff come in.

As far as genetics for spawned character, I would imagine that they would be given the genetic look of the region they are spawned into.

Whew, so the PD is gonna walk around planting babies after 15 days of a couple commiting to intercourse? Ah they're watching! Or would a request go to a dept, and they'd plant it w/o looking?
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:41 am

There's a dead thread discussing how to euphemize sex in Cantr in one of the department forums, so I assume sex would be a special action, and reproduction would be automatic.
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:30 am

ok first of all I wasnt whining, I was simply make suggestions..I agree with you guys now we shouldnt start over I just wanted some other peoples imput on my ideas.

As for the skill system that definately answers my question and makes me really excited for the next version. Sorry Jos no more questions I'll let you get back to work heh.
Meh

Postby Meh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:53 am

IMO if the world gets 10,000 characters in it I think it is time to have a second instance of the game.

The second world would be started anew. New map & new objects and other things. Imagine the length of the topics discussions on what the setting would be.

I don't know how others feel by we are 30 to 40% to 10,000 now.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:02 am

Meh, you have seen the map, I believe. I think 10,000 characters would fit nicely (especially with a grid system in 2.0). Plus, overpopulation should be a problem that the societies should have to deal with.
Meh

Postby Meh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:07 am

I am not saying limit a game to 10,000. Just when there is 10,000 that is a good enough size to have the next one start.

Return to “General Discussion”