Game changes - Announcements

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Players Department, Public Relations Department, Players Department Trainee

Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Game changes - Announcements

Postby Greek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Server move
Today Cantr was down for some time, because Pies has finished the server move that was announced some day in the past.
There is still some work to be done, but we don't expect more downtimes because of that.

There still are some issues, e.g. wiki is still pretty unstable, but it'll be fixed soon. Please report any other troubles on general support forum.

EDIT: And now we had an unexpected downtime, but it was short :)
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Greek

Postby Greek » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:42 am

Change of the skins
The skins have been changed to look more flat and work better on mobile devices.

The green-orange skin has been changed most.
If you prefer its old appearance, then you can easily turn green skin to look like the previous version of green-orange. It's enough to paste the following custom CSS in player settings -> interface:

Code: Select all

a, .ui-state-default a,
.ui-state-default a:link,
.ui-state-default a:visited {
    color: #FF9700;
}

so the links will be orange.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Greek

Postby Greek » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Location info box
I'm back and I'm going to implement things.

A few years ago I've implemented a character info box, which displays a brief character info to facilitate common tasks like renaming characters. There was a plan was to do the same for locations. Unfortunately it got delayed so I'm going to implement it right now.

When you click on a location link, then, instead of going to another page, you will see the following panel:

As you see, it's possible to alter the remembered name, see all the signs, enter the location and read the building's description (when being inside).

This panel is able to be displayed everywhere, not just on the events page, so sometimes this panel may be misplaced.
Please report the situations when that's the case.

If you don't like the feature then you can turn it off in the account settings.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Welcome back, Greek! That's great news you're back.

Is this already implemented? It doesn't seem to be working at all on my end. Click on any location still brings me to a separate page.
Greek

Postby Greek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Real-time event refresh

Hello,
Today I have two small announcements.
First of all, I'd like to explain that it's very hard to test User Interface changes, considering the number of existing devices, browsers and operating systems.
For this reason I've created a new option called "Early access to test UI changes" available in the interface section of the player settings. It's an option that can be enabled by players willing to contribute to the game development by getting access to the new interface elements which become available during the open tests.
After the testing phase the changes will become available for all players.
Of course this early access will concern only interface, because it wouldn't make sense to differentiate access to anything else.

Enabling it right now will give you access to the new mechanics:
- real-time refresh on the events page (instead of querying the server every 3 seconds)
- highlight the active characters on your characters list when new events are available

I hope it'll become available to everyone after a short period of tests.
If the feature in testing phase causes any trouble, then you can disable the "Early access" option to come back to the stable version.
Pilot
GAB/PD Chair/LO(esp)/RD/PO

Postby Pilot » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Dear Players,

GAB is planning some adjustments to radio networks. Radios have not been serving well the dynamics of a slow paced game, they have shifted focus away from local environments, and they have placed unnecessary pressures on players attempting to keep apart the interests of multiple characters in the same region. For these and other reasons, we will be disabling repeater-repeater transmission, and reducing the base ranges of all units. We understand that these changes will prove inconvenient for some characters, however we'll ask for some patience in making adjustments. We will reconsider any future adjustments only after evaluating effects over some time in multiple regions. In order to allow time to prepare for these changes, we will delay implementation for some days. We also hope to be announcing more new features and game changes soon.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation during implementation of these changes.

Game Administration Board
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
Pilot
GAB/PD Chair/LO(esp)/RD/PO

Postby Pilot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Dear Players,

Combat changes are overdue. Longstanding discussions remain ongoing regarding a complete overhaul of the combat system, but some adjustments to combat effects within the current system are necessary in the short term and will be implemented soon. The most noticeable of these changes will be that Dragging of characters will produce a tiredness effect similar to attacks. The second change will be that Damage will no longer be a factor in character vulnerability, either for dragging or subsequent attacks. This should render group attacks on passive characters less overpowered. Note that no current possibilities will be eliminated, including instant actions. The largest effects will be for repeated actions.

These adjustments should allow more players opportunities to participate in combat roleplay, in a manner consistent with a slow-paced game. While conflict is essential to the game, instant mass murder is not. We will hope to enable a greater variety of combat scenarios.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation in adjusting to these changes.
Game Administration Board
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
Joshuamonkey
GAB/PR Chair/LD/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:14 am

The Cantrian community has undergone a major development, with the release of a new channel for communication: Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/rpquAWT. Click the link to join Cantr's chatting server, and make an account. There is a Discord app you can download for your mobile device as well. The Cantr staff, including Jos himself, are excited for this new discussion channel. Come and discuss new ideas for Cantr, get support, or joke about Cantr. There's also an optional voice channel. Try it out!
Also, the #cantr IRC room, the Polish room #piwniczka.cantr, and the Spanish room #cantr_hispano have been linked to Discord, so you can use either IRC or Discord to connect.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/ Image
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Discussion”