"Tick" timings

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

joo

Re: "Tick" timings

Postby joo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Oob wrote:Thanks, I thought it was Cantr hours. I can't relate when events happen to my characters with the Tick Timings displayed on CantrSpy, I assume the tick timings at 00:00:00 are when events happen in game.

The real life times I see look to be in UK Summer Time (GMT +1 hour) but I don't think the tick timing 'clock roll-overs' occur when character events occur, do they? Should they coincide, I assume so. It's the tick timings being off that's adding to my confusion, is there an adjustment that has to be made so I will know when my character arrives at his/her destination etc?

Each "tick" is a periodic event that occurs in Cantr, with which changes like a project completing, someone eating food or a ship moving forward are associated. The "remaining time" column shows the time until that event next occurs in Cantr, or at least, the time until it should occur based on what I've determined. The timings occasionally change in the server and such changes are hard to predict, so that is when it becomes "off." When that does happen, I can correct the timings when errors are reported. The "next occurence" column should display the expected time in your operating system's local time format and timezone. If it's showing it in BST and you live somewhere else then either your browser isn't providing the right time information to my page (which I can't really do anything about short of providing an option to explicitly choose a timezone - something I could in fact do if necessary) or your timezone isn't set correctly in your operating system.

The ticks page was originally just accessible just from the web:

http://joo.freehostia.com/cantr/ticks/

But someone requested that it was made accessible in that form from CantrSpy.
Oob

Postby Oob » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks Joo, I understand it all now.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 am

Your ticks are off, especially the eating one.

Right now in Cantr time, it is 2.34-ish. The eating tick always comes at 6.22, and your tick thing says that it is to occur within the next hour. Unless Cantr-time seriously speeds up, I have serious doubts about the accuracy of that tick.

Reporting from Eastern Daylight Time, or GMT -5.

For a general reference if this hasn't been posted yet (and at the moment, I'm too lazy to look through all twelve or however many pages to find out), eating always occurs at X-6.22 Cantr time. Land travel updates are always on X-Y.11:44. Project updates are always on the X-Y.17, with X being the day and Y being any hour. As for death and starvation, I haven't seen a distinct pattern yet; death always seems to occur randomly to me. I haven't been playing the game long enough to figure all that out.
Last edited by Snickie on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:04 am

And sailing is at .07. I only remember that and projects.
Not-so-sad panda
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 am

I've never been sailing despite half of my characters spawning on a coastal town. I'm trying to fix that. But unfortunately the character who wants to go sailing is completely inland, so he's stuck digging limestone for now. Which isn't bad because he's a good digger anyway, and he's got a shovel on him. So perhaps he'll be able to pay somehow for the wood to make a boat of some sort (I'm hoping for a sloop, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen).

But yeah. Anyways.

Perhaps the death ticks would be easier to figure out and such if the turn reports each had the minutes posted on them, instead of just the hour. Same with the animal attack tick.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am

SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 am

What about resting ticks? I know one is at x:25, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one other.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
joo

Postby joo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:31 am

What happens at a resting tick?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 am

You lose was it 5% tiredness?

Edit: When is the violence tick? I think it used to be at :35 but now it seems more like :25, am I right?
Not-so-sad panda
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 am

Yep, your tiredness drops by 5%, but only if you're not working I think. Should be more if you're resting at the time of the tick. I suspect resting furniture isn't working, unless it only works on the other resting tick(s).
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
joo

Postby joo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:53 am

I've eventually worked out why my timings weren't correct - I was calculating the Cantr midnight offset incorrectly. They should be accurate now (assuming the timings I have are still correct).
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:49 am

I think you do rest even if you were working on a project. Otherwise your tiredness would increase by 3% every hour that you were working. It gives you 3% tiredness at the projects tick but takes it away at turn.finish, so unless you fight or hunt, you'll never be tired for longer than the time between the two ticks. It's pretty silly but what can you do? It would be interesting if some projects like crushing hematite or mining gave you more tiredness so that they would eventually make you 100% tired if you didn't stop to rest. Then people would have to recycle workers or only work on those things for an hour or two at a time and then work on something lighter to rest. Stuff like that would also be good for exhausting prisoners and ensuring they would be easy to drag at all times, although then they wouldn't be efficient on projects. You could calculate how much tiredness you need to make a prisoner draggable by one person and expect them to work to maintain their tiredness above that level but not get so high that they wouldn't make any progress on projects.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:05 am

SekoETC wrote:You could calculate how much tiredness you need to make a prisoner draggable by one person

Would that depend on the prisoner's strength (in which case it would have to be assumed that every prisoner has max strength in the calculation)?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:32 pm

I'd go by trial and error to work out individual limits.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

Tick timings appear to be approximately 20 seconds fast.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “General Discussion”