"Tick" timings

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

EchoMan

Re: CantrSpy 2.7

Postby EchoMan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

It's a simple thing to do, but it wouldn't help if it was every local copy of Cantr Spy who made the request. I guess allowing a call to the API every 10 minutes or so , from your server would suffice? If so, I'm open to implementing this.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 pm

How about this? Instead of every copy of Cantrspy querying either Joo's server or Cantr all the time, why not add a button onto Cantrspy that a user can press when he thinks the times are out of alignment? This would cut the number of queries down to a negligible level over time.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
joo

Postby joo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am

Hmm... I don't really like the idea of relying on users to make a system work; after all, it takes less effort for a machine to do that than for a human to have to check themselves.

That did give me an idea though, of how to improve another aspect of the timings.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am

joo wrote:That did give me an idea though...

My work here is finished.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
joo

Postby joo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 am

This conversation should be moved to this topic.

Edit: thanks.
joo

Timing API

Postby joo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:17 pm

EchoMan wrote:It's a simple thing to do, but it wouldn't help if it was every local copy of Cantr Spy who made the request. I guess allowing a call to the API every 10 minutes or so , from your server would suffice? If so, I'm open to implementing this.

How feasible would it be to also give information on the timings of processes associated with ticks, based on their schedules in the server?

Edit: err, well I meant to PM that to you, but since I can't delete my posts (for some reason) I'll just leave this.
joo

Re: "Tick" timings

Postby joo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:59 am

YugoStrikesBack wrote:
joo wrote:
YugoStrikesBack wrote:Hey Joo, you're tick timer seems to be a phising blocked web site.

:shock: according to whom?

Intego anti-virus.

:x I just found out why this was so. I got an email from Google saying that a site hosted there was blacklisted for malware. Looking at the index page, an IFRAME had been inserted just after BODY to what I presume is an attack site. This was true for other sites hosted on the same account. I've since changed my password, and have contacted my host about it, but the various utilities I have hosted might be down for a while while I'm cleaning it out.
joo

Postby joo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm

By the way, I doubt my timings are accurate anymore. I'll have to wait until the game is back to normal and some data is available.
joo

Postby joo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:48 pm

I've updated this based on information given to me by Echoman. I removed the "animal attack" tick, because it now occurs several times an hour and I can't imagine someone having a use for it, however I will add it back if someone does. The timing for the "starvation" tick should be correct, but there was a trace of doubt so if you see someone dying, please post the in-game time at which it occurs so I can confirm that.

Finally, the time on Freehostia's server seems to be running about 7 minutes behind Cantr's server, so, coupled with the delay caused by server processes, the timings on my page may be up to 15 minutes behind the actual event times. I will try to contact Freehostia to ask them to correct this. Also, if we can ascertain average delays between the start time of processes and the corresponding event times, I will adapt to those, so if you notice any disparities please post the corresponding in-game event times.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 am

20:10 GMT -5: travel tick (x:17:53)
So I guess that'd be 01:10 GMT.

I don't know if that helps at all, but whatever.
joo

Postby joo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 am

Snickiedoo wrote:20:10 GMT -5: travel tick (x:17:53)
So I guess that'd be 01:10 GMT.

I don't know if that helps at all, but whatever.

Heh, well that's exactly the time Echoman gave me, so it seems to be working quite nicely.

Edit: I submitted a ticket to Freehostia, and was told that it's been forwarded to an admin, so I'm now awaiting a reply from them.
joo

Postby joo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:24 am

The ticks should be fully accurate now!
mojomuppet

Postby mojomuppet » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks Joo! *hugs*
3005-7.35: You expertly kill a giraffe using a bare fist.

Addicted

Postby Addicted » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am

How do I add back animal attacks? Thanks.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
joo

Postby joo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am

Addicted wrote:How do I add back animal attacks? Thanks.

I removed them because the timings were changed to a scheme involving 9 separate ticks distributed over half an hour, every 3* hours in a day, which I considered making knowing a certain tick timing pretty useless because, as I understand it, only a certain portion of all animals (which would attack during that period) will attack during any given tick. However, if you remain unconvinced of the uselessness of having them, I'll put them back in.

* Edit: every 6 hours, actually
Last edited by joo on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”