A question....someone help?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Missy

A question....someone help?

Postby Missy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:09 am

ok..I have a character who is writing a book in a certain town.

In the book she is writing it mentions places that are not necessarily on the same island she is on. (Well at least I MYSELF am not sure that the places are Never paid much attention to all that island stuff lol)
The book she is writing is Fantasy-fiction romance.
She herself ahs never been to some of the places she mentions. But because it is fiction fantasy etc is it ok for her to mention the places or not????

Of course in this book since it is fantasy etc she makes no mention of herself...

It's basically my imaganiary character ...using her imagination to write about something that may or may not exist.

Can anyone offer me some insight?

lol

Or, should i change the names of the places to something doesn't even exist at all in the game? Like for instance she makes referance in the book to ..."Ladvician ghosts" "Imperial guard" "Krifian Empire" etc....Should I change it to something that doesn't exist LITERALLY doesn't exist..like ..."mognirian ghosts" and "Superior Guard" and "Muhajaden Empire?" ???????

What do you think? If you can't answer I guess I'll have to ask someone who can? lol
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:25 am

I would change the names just to make sure...or change a few letters at least...Krif-Kriv...Lad-Lan...etc.
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Rob Maule

Postby Rob Maule » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:14 am

I would just make names up. In real-life books, we have setting named after real places, because everyone knows about them. In Cantr, knowledge is extremely limited. But if your characters happen to know of those places, they could definitely add them into a book.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:45 am

It would definately, imho, be against the capital rule for your character to use names of places in Cantr she hasn't ever heard of (if you aren't sure about a place, don't use it). Just make it up, as Rob suggested. And as he said, if they know about them, feel free to use those towns she has been to or heard of.
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:38 am

Anyways...Just to be clear on what I mean...about this books she is writing...when she writes about these places she doesn't state them as fact.....If anyone is reading a fantasy book irl....you read it knowing the things they speak of may or may not be real. Right? When she writes that nadia...my chars char in the book...seen a imperial guard walk by. Its nadia who seen it...not my char...

BUT...I do understand...people where my character is writing this book at, don't know of lad...etc.
So my char shouldn't be writing about lad either. But like I said..she isn't saying "LAD...is a place on an island near blah blah blah" anyways...lol
I figured most people would see it as cheating. Which I can guaruntee you it is not.

IT isn't as if my char were going to say "I went to lad" when she can't possibly KNOW of lad. She's saying Nadia and this other person in the book ran into people from lad.

blah blahb labhlahblahblahblahblhblhbahbaalh Ok. So I'll make her change the book. :) just to be on the safe side. I suppose you'd have to read what my char is writing to understand what I mean. Oh well. Thanks.
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:42 am

Missy wrote:Anyways...Just to be clear on what I mean...about this books she is writing...when she writes about these places she doesn't state them as fact.....If anyone is reading a fantasy book irl....you read it knowing the things they speak of may or may not be real. Right? When she writes that nadia...my chars char in the book...seen a imperial guard walk by. Its nadia who seen it...not my char...

BUT...I do understand...people where my character is writing this book at, don't know of lad...etc.
So my char shouldn't be writing about lad either. But like I said..she isn't saying "LAD...is a place on an island near blah blah blah" anyways...lol
I figured most people would see it as cheating. Which I can guaruntee you it is not.

IT isn't as if my char were going to say "I went to lad" when she can't possibly KNOW of lad. She's saying Nadia and this other person in the book ran into people from lad.

blah blahb labhlahblahblahblahblhblhbahbaalh Ok. So I'll make her change the book. :) just to be on the safe side. I suppose you'd have to read what my char is writing to understand what I mean. Oh well. Thanks.

She's saying Nadia and this other person in the book ran into people from lad. - A PLACE that may or may not exist in the real world for cantr people
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:08 am

It doesn't matter. I would still view it as breaking the capital rule. You ic wouldn't have made up the place Lad, really, if you didn't know about it ooc.
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:35 am

nevermind..... :!:
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:08 pm

I agree with the others about the names on locations, but imperial guards is a term that everyone must be able to use...there are several empires in the game.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:15 pm

Oh, imperial guards isn't a bad thing. Just the name of places. And if a place has specific things like the Nossè (yes, I believe that is elvish and thus not just cantr but if you use it the way Drofj (Sp?) does, that would be breaking the CR.), you can't use them.

Return to “General Discussion”