In-Game Religions

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Do you think Religion in Cantr is a good idea?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 110
Blackdeath

Postby Blackdeath » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:56 am

It doesn't necessesarily have to be people being oppressed, it could be cows, or trowels or something. Just to make it interesting
---------------
"Genius has its limitations. Stupidity is not thus handicapped."

1120-7: You are killed by a moose.
1120-7: You see a man in his thirties hurt a moose using a
longbow.
Vicar

Postby Vicar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:24 pm

TatteredShoeLace wrote:
I just wounded a heavily defended pirate

I think I know who Vicar is! And I also know his religion won't be able to save him once those carrots run out... :twisted:

And with a single bound - he was free!!!

Now *that's* what I call divine intervention.

<sorry - you had to be there>

Suffice to say, with the events of the last few days, I can confidently say that Higher Powers do exist in Cantr :D
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:43 pm

Yeah, he escpaed...kinda bogus on behalf of the pirates....too bad your char thought my char was in there as a prisoner! :twisted: I kind of wanted you char to die with that note I left...tsk tsk.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:40 pm

Vicar wrote:Suffice to say, with the events of the last few days, I can confidently say that Higher Powers do exist in Cantr :D

Actually, it is kinda freaky. One guy had to leave the building, so I left the door unlocked. And then the power went out for him, and my computer froze. :shock:
Vicar

Postby Vicar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:37 am

Nick wrote:
Vicar wrote:Suffice to say, with the events of the last few days, I can confidently say that Higher Powers do exist in Cantr :D

Actually, it is kinda freaky. One guy had to leave the building, so I left the door unlocked. And then the power went out for him, and my computer froze. :shock:

CURSED I TELL YOU, CURSED!!!

Great RP by all, BTW. Most enjoyable..........
julie2

Postby julie2 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:39 pm

Here's a thought: paranormal events are every bit as possible, or impossible in Catr as they are IRL, surely? The IRL question is a matter of debate, but most people believe in the paranormal, or else have an open mind. So paranomal events might, in fact, occur without being programmed in or occurring as bugs, right? Unless you're totally sceptical. I've read some interesting parapsychology research which suggests that an electronic environment would be much more susceptible to psychokinesis and the like than our everyday material environment is. How about that?

It's been stated categorically by the Programming Department that telepathy is impossible in Cantr. The implication is that an apparent incident of telepathy would be the consequence of a CR breach. There's a further implication that the Programming Department has that much control over Cantian Phsics. Hmmm...how can they be so sure?
Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:04 pm

Refer to RKL's theory of "ghosts" in the Cantr code.
Vicar

Postby Vicar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:22 pm

julie2 wrote:Here's a thought: paranormal events are every bit as possible, or impossible in Catr as they are IRL, surely? The IRL question is a matter of debate, but most people believe in the paranormal, or else have an open mind. So paranomal events might, in fact, occur without being programmed in or occurring as bugs, right? Unless you're totally sceptical.

The problem is that Cantr is a "Meta" world where it's difficult to threaten people with gods or religion, because we know that no such things are programmed to happen in Cantr.

"Real life" religions persuade people ro do all sorts of stuff, becuase the stakes are higher (immortal souls in jerpordy, etc).......
julie2

Postby julie2 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:48 pm

Yep, well. I think we both made valid points there, which don't really impact on one another. As for the problem you're defining there: I think there's always that "problem" in Cantr with all sorts of things, not just religion. Our emotional investment in the game isn't real, just role-played; and the stakes are never as high as our characters think they are. The worst thing that can actually happen is the character gets killed, and that will never matter as much to the player as it does to the character. Whether we can act like we really believe our "immortal soul" to be in jeapordy depends to a large extent on our role-playing skills I suppose

I don't know that fear of God's wrath and stuff like that really plays any part in most religions anyway. Certainly plenty of religions (eg Buddhism, Sikhism) get along nicely without putting the "fear of God" into their followers. It should be just as easy to get such religions to spread in Cantr as it is IRL. The trouble with Religion IRL (in my view; I know I'm risking sparking off cotroversy here) is that it tends to begin as metphysics and end up as a tool of oppression, picking up all sorts of emotional dross along the way. It's quite a challenge to RP all the psychic complexities involved, if you want to introduce the kind of religion that's approaching the end of that process (better not give an exaple). But then it's quie a challenge to RP a fully-functional human being anyway. The best of us are likely to prioduce cardboard cut-outs, by contast.

Of course "Knowing no such things are programmed to happen in Cantr" is
OOC knowledge, right,; so, ideally, it wouldn't make a differerence. But then belief in "Jos the Creator" is making use of OOC knowledge and I'm very glad the PD hasn't tried to stamp it out on that basis. It's rather cute.
That's got to be the closest thing Cantr has to the familiar Judeo-Christian sects IRL, and I rather enjoy the fact that Jos's relation to Cantr is quite closely analogous to Christian fundamentalist's concept of God, when you think about it. He certainly created Cantr, and he and his angels have been know to produce "miracles" in response to the prayers of distressed Cantrians (e.g, the tiredness reset, and the item decay reset. What else can you call that but Divine Intervention?). And he can and does judge those who break the Rules of the Game. Anger him enough and you might even lose your Immotal Soul (i.e your account gets cancelled, and you can't create any more characters). I don't know how much of this this you could incorporate into in-game religion, before somebody decided it really was a CR- breach, but it would be rather fun to develop a branch of Cantrian Religion which really did reflect Cantrian reality; and it seems to me that it wouldn't be very much different from IRL religion, after all.

Vicar wrote:
julie2 wrote:Here's a thought: paranormal events are every bit as possible, or impossible in Catr as they are IRL, surely? The IRL question is a matter of debate, but most people believe in the paranormal, or else have an open mind. So paranomal events might, in fact, occur without being programmed in or occurring as bugs, right? Unless you're totally sceptical.

The problem is that Cantr is a "Meta" world where it's difficult to threaten people with gods or religion, because we know that no such things are programmed to happen in Cantr.

"Real life" religions persuade people ro do all sorts of stuff, becuase the stakes are higher (immortal souls in jerpordy, etc).......
AoM

Postby AoM » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:24 pm

@ Vicar... Karma is definitely built into the nature of the game. If you kill enough people's characters, eventually the entire cantr community is going to be subconsciously gunning for your evil character.

After all... we the players are in effect our characters' guardian angels.

@Julie2... I think the Church of the Holy Father is the closest thing to Judeo-Christianity in Cantr, but I'm sure it's similar to the Jos faith.
Vicar

Postby Vicar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:06 pm

Julie2 - lots of good points well made.....

Need to have a think b4 I reply :) !!!
g1asswa1ker

Still the best one

Postby g1asswa1ker » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Praise Klug!!!
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:01 am

Avatar of Meisora wrote:@Julie2... I think the Church of the Holy Father is the closest thing to Judeo-Christianity in Cantr, but I'm sure it's similar to the Jos faith.

I really want to post something in response to that, but I can't think what...

On a different note, Lopan finally emerged from KF monastery just before the locking. That could have repercussions for the Order, seeing as they abandoned him and elected a replacement.
:evil:
Bastards.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
AoM

Postby AoM » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:04 am

Whatever, the blind old man's gonna have to find his way to Kwor if he wants to complain to anybody. And he should be happy for what we've done with his religion.

Old coot. :)
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:10 am

Avatar of Meisora wrote:Whatever, the blind old man's gonna have to find his way to Kwor if he wants to complain to anybody.

True.

Well he has a convert already, hopefully he can get a few more. Then they can guide him. :wink:

And you should see him, he's a walking armoury... :lol:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.

Return to “General Discussion”