Welcome, New Players! (or Welcome Back, Old Players!)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Black Canyon

Re: Welcome, New Players! (or Welcome Back, Old Players!)

Postby Black Canyon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Snickie wrote:Cantr's time limit has been gone since before I started playing (except for some glitch where the first day had the original 180 minute time limit but that got fixed after a while). Funnily, it used to display a time limit of 2000 minutes, which is more than the 1440 minutes in a standard 24h day. I think they did that as a quick and easy way to effectually get rid of the time limit. Anyway they got rid of that eventually too, but it was fun to see how many minutes were left before the reset tick ("how many minutes did I waste playing Cantr today" kind of thing lol).

I hear the 3 hour time limit made things really intense sometimes. People logging in, copying and pasting things to Notepad or Word, then logging out and reading the events and coming up with their responses to post really fast. CantrSpy had a more active role in the lives of the Cantriians - it saved them from unnecessary logins and wasting minutes.

Anyway welcome to the game!

I think the original limit was 200 minutes, unless I'm mistaken. And yes, I was happy to see it go, but the limit did contribute to some high drama and suspense during critical events.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Black Canyon wrote:
Snickie wrote:Cantr's time limit has been gone since before I started playing (except for some glitch where the first day had the original 180 minute time limit but that got fixed after a while). Funnily, it used to display a time limit of 2000 minutes, which is more than the 1440 minutes in a standard 24h day. I think they did that as a quick and easy way to effectually get rid of the time limit. Anyway they got rid of that eventually too, but it was fun to see how many minutes were left before the reset tick ("how many minutes did I waste playing Cantr today" kind of thing lol).

I hear the 3 hour time limit made things really intense sometimes. People logging in, copying and pasting things to Notepad or Word, then logging out and reading the events and coming up with their responses to post really fast. CantrSpy had a more active role in the lives of the Cantriians - it saved them from unnecessary logins and wasting minutes.

Anyway welcome to the game!

I think the original limit was 200 minutes, unless I'm mistaken. And yes, I was happy to see it go, but the limit did contribute to some high drama and suspense during critical events.

You are correct.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:30 pm

muidoido wrote:
Pregnant Mothers: 1
Your position in the birth queue is: 1

:mrgreen:

Then you loggin the next day, Your position in the birth queue: 7

AAARRRRGGGGG!!! xD

Snickie wrote:I hear the 3 hour time limit made things really intense sometimes. People logging in, copying and pasting things to Notepad or Word, then logging out and reading the events and coming up with their responses to post really fast. CantrSpy had a more active role in the lives of the Cantriians - it saved them from unnecessary logins and wasting minutes.

Thats how some people do it in FTO, Have event logs sent to thier emails, type up event in advance, and log in and post them, start a new project and log off.
ManyVoices

Postby ManyVoices » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Well, I did what I never figured I would do, and came back. I'm back, but in a much more limited fashion. I can't be the same player I was before, so I suspect my characters will play minor roles in their towns.

The lack of enthusiasm for new spawns in some towns blows my mind. Some towns feel like it's a chore to RP, as everyone would rather just sleep.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes. Neat to see a couple old characters I knew from a past life.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Yeah, a lot of towns are really apathetic these days.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes. It's a world full of first experiences being about everything you /can't/ do. How is that fun? Then, to find out how to do anything, you have to rely on gaining the guidance of people who just don't care. Nobody wants to convey culture or history, and I've seen so many people greet newspawns without even saying their name. It's like pulling teeth to figure out how things work.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:29 pm

As sad that sounds, it's truth. There's good towns too but... You might not spawn into one :( Conveying history is a problematic thing cause it needs someone to write it up or tell so even if you would want to it's hard without.. material to do so. Seems most players/chars nowdays don't bother write events up (even if you could be just lazy ass and copy logs, that's better than nothing) . I don't know, maybe they have but keep them in their inventory. We need new players and.. change of attitude how to treat newspawns
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:31 pm

This is a bit off topic but when ever your characters are bored, think of what has happened in their lives up to that point and if you haven't kept a journal, write down the key points. It might give you an idea of what made his/her life worth living in the past and if it can be accomplished again in the future. If not, at least the people left behind will get a glimpse into the person's soul after their death and might learn new things they never knew in life.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:52 pm

@Sherman. I don't think it's so hard. Take one of the building and change its description to make it seem old or something culturally significant.

The story can be copy pasted over and over. It won't take long before anyone in town can play the part of story teller. Everyone can just copy the first person's story.

invite the new person inside. (How is someone supposed to care about a place when they aren't welcomed anywhere but on the street?)

"Once we were many. Now we are few. Come, young one. Let us sing the song of our people"
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:12 pm

As long as the story isn't plagiarized from a real life book.

Cantr has made me really cynical. When ever someone presents a song, I google part of the lyrics to check if it's plagiarized before I know if I should appreciate it or ignore it.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:14 pm

I don't mean a literal song. I just mean the story :) Though, I guess it could be a song.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm

If someone wants to write a literal song, there's this website: http://www.rhymer.com/ Makes things much easier.
Not-so-sad panda
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm

I think a clarification is in order. References to "the song of my people" is a joke reference to an internet meme. I should not have used it.

We can throw out the concept of "song" altogether.

I simply meant that people should convey the story of their group to the young people. Presumably, this would be a spoken story, and not taken in any way from real life as it is the actual Cantrian story of the people.

Sorry to cause confusion.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:56 am

Sorry for taking things literally. It's a funny saying. You shouldn't apologize for using it.
Not-so-sad panda
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Welcome back. I hope you find a welcoming and active town. I've fallen into a horrible rut with most of my characters. I've made them all friendly and reliable, due to the lack of friendly and reliable characters out there. *sigh* Most of them I had something different in mind when I made them... and now... due to one of my characters being reported, I've lost half my will to even be original.

Return to “General Discussion”