Welcome, New Players! (or Welcome Back, Old Players!)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Welcome, New Players! (or Welcome Back, Old Players!)

Postby SekoETC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Aduah wrote:Welcome back. I hope you find a welcoming and active town. I've fallen into a horrible rut with most of my characters. I've made them all friendly and reliable, due to the lack of friendly and reliable characters out there. *sigh* Most of them I had something different in mind when I made them... and now... due to one of my characters being reported, I've lost half my will to even be original.

Gee, that sucks. Not that you can talk about PD cases but generally people shouldn't get upset if somebody reports them if you feel you haven't done anything wrong. If I understood correctly, a while back someone reported me for using OOC, maybe it was deserved but it made me more careful about using OOC.

Edit: quoted for clarity since this wrapped over to a new page.
Not-so-sad panda
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Eh, It was because of a nonhuman character who had a background when spawning in. I had a great personality and everything lined up for her, but basically I was told I was not allowed and I had to make her human, and wasnt allowed to have a background. She basically lost her purpose. Sooooooooooo, I lost a lot of wind and creativity in all my characters after that.I'm trying to stay positive, but I've fallen into Blah land.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:12 pm

You can't play an animal true.
But if you are interested in a little fun, you can play a char who believes that they are a ????

It can sometimes lead to some fun rp as a char tries to leap and bound like the animal they are interested in portraying. Of course they will be considered insane by the chars around them. Just do not portray yourself as being in possession of any abilities or powers not human. You can't have claws, but you could have a bagh nahk and call it your claws.

There are various 'furries' too...tails, ears and... well I don't know. But if you want to delve into the realm of insanity, it can be done.
I think that there is also a sister game to cantr that has some chances to spawn as a different race of creation too.

Don't feel that you have been restricted; consider it a challenge to deepen and diversify your roles.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:23 pm

The character wasn't remotely animal like. Think a little more along the lines of a goblin.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm

I've seen characters described as having purple eyes, seven foot tall, with green hair and pointed ears and teeth. If you describe physical weirdness subtly, most people don't pay attention enough to report you.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:16 am

I've never been tempted to report anyone for their role play style or the way they describe their characters and I don't think much of role-play police. I'm so appreciative of anyone who puts in any extra creativity and effort that I wouldn't dream of interfering. That said, not all of my characters appreciate "quirky", so they might respond with a bit of rudeness and rolling eyes...
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:51 am

Might have been just one person. Its too bad some people have to ruin the fun of others. I still don't see how the rule 'All characters are presumed to be human" translates into "All characters have to be able to be assumed human/ No non human characters are allowed." I mean if the character is described in a way that identifies them positively non-human, so what, Someone then cant assume they are they are human, because they are clearly not. But, ahhh, I digress.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:37 am

I heard that years back, there was a guy on the Polish region who was a bear, not just a crazy guy thinking he's a bear, but a guy actually described as a real bear with no human traits. Also years back when one of my characters was in a Spanish town, there was one guy who was rp'ed as a little boy, and I think they even celebrated his 10th birthday when he turned 30. I don't know if he originally rp'ed a baby when he spawned but he was a great guy.
Also several years back, there was a guy who emoted that he looks like he's 2 years old, and was also acting like a shy 2 year old. Somebody said outright that one who is 20 cannot be two. The "boy" dropped all his food and walked down a road, probably to his death.
Around the time I joined the game, or maybe a bit earlier, there was a couple in Siom who roleplayed giving birth and having a baby. People hated them playing with the imaginary baby and the whole town was filled with them emoting in relation to the baby.

There's a character called It who's probably still alive today. He looks like a man-sized frog but enough human features not to get reported.

Also I have seen multiple people with pointed ears.

There's also a famous old character with purple skin. They say it's due to exposure to grapes.
Not-so-sad panda
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:38 pm

See I like that. Thats fantastic. I applaud people with such creativity and willingness to go out on a limb. Its too bad there have to be naysayers.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 pm

There is also a robot somewhere I recall. It's was pretty cool
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Those things can be roleplayed... but we all exist within the confines of the games parameters.

There really is no other choice... you can say you have super human strength, but there is probably somebody (a human) who is within the game that is equal or greater in strength. How does the robot (android or whatever) respond when their abilities are no longer robotic... a mere human who could be playing a little boy can drag more limestone? Its a challenge and not for this particular thread. If somebody wants to start a RP philosophical thread... I think it would be fun!

But getting back to the sticky... welcome to all new players and those who are returning. There can be some good debates/discussions here and we encourage you to get involved. There are some wrong answers sometimes (sorry)... but the chance to gain a great clarity into what you do and don't want to do with a character.

Seriously...welcome.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
witia1

Postby witia1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Nonhuman or child characters might be fun. Bring some positive crayziness but they create holes in game lore. So even if they stick to their role and obey it's limitation they are something that breake game in my opinion.
Rest In Pieces.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I once played a town guard who was described as being very strong. Then skills got implemented and randomly he was both weaker than average and an awkward fighter. One time someone dragged him just for fun and was surprised it actually worked, because he assumed that because he had been rp'ed as a strong man all his life, it must be true.
Not-so-sad panda
Undine

Postby Undine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm back.

It was inevitable, of course. :oops:
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Welcome back! :mrgreen:
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Discussion”