The Dead Character Thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

viktor

Re: The Dead Character Thread

Postby viktor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:53 pm

only read the past page or so... and yeah, I had a character that was so shocked and appalled when they saw Boneman laying there.... he was put with all the other bones he kept.
and Lumi, my char around her was heartbroken., and was completely shocked when Strath dropped.

most of the other chars in the past page I've had little to no contact with.
Shedevil

Postby Shedevil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Taylor Wilder.. a hard one for me to let go but her heart wasn't the same after Landis died. It was her last moment of strength to go into the crypt and lay with him as her heart grew weaker. I'm sorry to those left in Zuzi to find her. Many people there who she loved but after so much heartbreak and losing so many people, she just couldn't go on.
Oh look, another glorious morning… makes me SICK!
Moonflame

Postby Moonflame » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:06 pm

ManyVoices wrote:I quit abruptly this time, so none of them had any closure. Crap I wish this game wasn't so addictive! Sorry to the few people that my quitting affected, now I get to once again go through all the withdrawal symptoms ... lovely! :)

I only knew one but it's sad to see you go. In a way, anyway. It was nice being part of a story with you, I hope the one you live will be more vivid. :D My character will stick around as promised.
"There are precious few at ease
with moral ambiguities
and so we act as though they don't exist"
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:40 am

Sorry to see Taylor go, she had some rough moments and more than one of them caused by one of mine.

I am glad that, in the end, there was a sense of closure. Many mistakes were made and all of the blame surely goes on me.
I am also glad that she finally gets to be with Landis in the sunny fields forever.

R.I.P.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Shedevil

Postby Shedevil » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 am

She was truly broken when he passed. Since no one was nearby when she died, I figure I can post it that she died in his arms, covered by the blanket she made for their wedding.

Not all the mistakes were made by your character either, it could have been handled better on both parts. She always loved him too, but some people are better as friends.
Oh look, another glorious morning… makes me SICK!
BosBaBe

Postby BosBaBe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

A player must have just closed their account that a -lot- of my characters were really close to. :( You must know who you are, I'd like to talk to you as a friend if you see this? Your characters will be sorely missed, but I don't blame you, I may be going out too.
Pop me a nessage if you want!
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Mon May 15, 2017 3:08 am

Flywheel“It’s better to strive for the moon and end up on the highest mountain top than to strive for an ant hill and sit on it the rest of your life!”

An impossibly big man with impossibly big dreams. Any time those dreams approached anywhere near achievable they grew even bigger. I really bit off more than I could chew with this character. He took a lot of work to play. I really wish I had I had the time and energy (good gravy playing him was mentally exhausting and just wasn’t going to happen after a long day’s work) to play him like he should have been played. If I could have I think he really would have changed the world… if his huge mouth didn’t get him killed first. He was the kind of character the game really needs, charismatic, bold, hopeful, and inspiring. (also reckless, unreliable and narcissistic because flawless characters are boring and incapable of growth) He could create purpose not only for himself but those around him.

He was my only true strategic character, nearly everything was intentional and planned in advance. His center stage personality and the role play I did with him were all part of a strategy to build a new and unique society within the game. (even if the end of what that society looked like was very fluid since getting others involved and invested with ideas was a big part of the strategy, my goal was just something different) As cool of a character as he was, the thought I keep coming back to is “What if?” I really hope more players try to create new and unique cultures within the game, but overcoming sleepiness, frequent death and player bias makes that incredibly challenging. Challenging, yes, impossible, no; alas it was a bigger challenge than I was equipped to handle.

Hurricane - “How exciting is that?!”

Hurricane’s first year was some of the most fun I’ve had with any character ever. It was so exciting! I wish I would have played him with a bit more of an ambitious curiosity then I did and got him moving around more while I had more time to play the game. But I can’t say I’m disappointed with the character. Hurricane was awesomely fun to play and I really enjoyed coming up with outside the box ways to describe the people and stuff that excited him. Plus he had a pet tortoise.

Sylvest“On the shores of lake Olipfirovash sit a half a dozen men ~ Telling tales, singing songs, and getting plastered now and then ~ In the village know as Mirovash, not a worry in their hearts ~ Surrounded by life’s history and forgotten wooden carts.”

He made beer until he had enough to drink, then drank beer until he had enough to sing. Sometimes he’d serenade the folk’s in Mirovash, other times he’d sing to his good buddy the Jabberbox. Some songs and verses were exclusive to the town, others to the radio. I don’t think anyone heard all he had to sing. And with corrupt files and event logs that arrived in my e-mail blank (why?) even I don’t have a full record. He had a really tough time understanding that the Jabberbox wasn’t a strange boxy friend but was just transmitting the messages of other people, especially when he was drunk.

His songs were always simple rhyme schemes that were as much poetry as song. I figured since I had no way to communicate the tunes I hear in my head, doing it that way was the best way to go about it. Hopefully the songs and rhyme patterns were simple enough for the readers to add their own tunes to them if they wanted to.

Sweetberry Eclair“I like radios and gossip and flowers and pretty clothes and sweets and rhinos and making weapons and hacking up rhinos with my battle axe and turning them into rhino stew. *she nods*”

Sweetberry mixed the adorable and the creepy like a playful puppy running towards you with a live tarantula in its mouth. A cute little ball of fluff and happiness on first impression but the closer attention you paid to her the more unsettling she became. Whether the creepiness added to her charm or her charm just made the creepiness that much worse is something you would have to decide for yourselves. My bobble head in a ball gown was the most pleasant surprise of the bunch. She was almost entirely reactionary and emotionally driven so it took no planning and barely any thought to play her, (I just had to overreact to everything, regardless of consistency or consequences.) yet she became the most complete and complicated character I’ve ever had in the game. The radio nerf was devastating for her since her love of radios and the constant flow of “gossip” was so central to her personality.

While I softly support the radio nerf for the overall balance of the game, it stunk like a dead mouse in the wall for my characters. Truth be told, the nerf provided the final push for me to hit the X. Redeveloping Sylvest and especially Sweetberry in what amounts to a post radio world was going to be way more work than I could do, and the characters I could see them becoming would have been a lot less fun to play.

Marino & Rotunda "zzz zzz"

My sleepy sailors from Siom and Aki respectively. Their ships were hopscotching around the same ports then I logged on and their ships were in sight of each other so I decided to let them both sleep to avoid getting myself into any trouble, then life got busy and I decided not to wake them up. Not that I’ve done much to develop either of them since mid-fall anyhow.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 am

Sorry to see you go, Mafia. I knew a couple from your list and I knew of Sylvest from the radio. I liked his songs. I never got a creepy vibe from Sweetberry, but I only really met her in passing. I liked her bluntness. I think more than anything I'll miss your contributions to crazy theoretical Cantrian physics discussions here on the forum. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 am

So sorry about losing a good player like you. Hope you come back with interesting characters again. :(
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Mon May 15, 2017 11:16 am

:shock:

I did not expect to have been playing with you, in such a major way. PM sent.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed meeting a few of those characters with a few of mine, though I never knew any of them terribly well. I'll be most sad about Sylvest and Sweetberry, I think, though Flywheel was certainly interesting to be around.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Mon May 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Mafia Salad wrote:Hurricane - “How exciting is that?!”

Hurricane’s first year was some of the most fun I’ve had with any character ever. It was so exciting!

The one and only time I've spawned someone but decided to let them sleep to death as soon as possible (I was getting too many characters spawning on that island...) and then Hurricane arrives - he was SO noisy! :lol:

5090-1: You say: "*She grunts and quickly turns to Hurricane, whipping her hand out flat to his face* How 'exciting' do you find a slap to the head?"
5090-1: You slap Hurricane a man in his twenties in the face.
5090-1: Hurricane a man in his twenties says: "Ouch *he rubs the side of his head* Less exciting then I expected."
5090-1: You say: "Well, that makes a change... *she settles back down to silently digging*"
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Millhouse wrote:I never got a creepy vibe from Sweetberry, but I only really met her in passing.

It was buried under a thick layer of sweetness and excitability. If she was traveling or trading the new people or business at hand would keep her distracted but if she was left to her own devices then out would come the eyebrow raising moments and What-the-what? comments. And once you start seeing a pattern of those you'd have to suspect there was something a little off. If you had a character who spent a lot of time in Akypor or AFN when Sweetberry was around then you probably would have seen it. Even a character in Xanth probably would have had to pay really close attention to pick up on it since Nimue brought the best out of Sweetberry.

Snowdrop wrote: 5090-1: You say: "*She grunts and quickly turns to Hurricane, whipping her hand out flat to his face* How 'exciting' do you find a slap to the head?"
5090-1: You slap Hurricane a man in his twenties in the face.
5090-1: Hurricane a man in his twenties says: "Ouch *he rubs the side of his head* Less exciting then I expected."
5090-1: You say: "Well, that makes a change... *she settles back down to silently digging*"

Yay! Slappy! Hurricane would occasionally talk about missing Slappy or Smoke (a thief who arrived a few days after Slappy died) for years after they died. I'm sure it annoyed everyone else in town.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Vega

Postby Vega » Tue May 16, 2017 2:10 pm

I highly doubt he could annoy anyone...
Hurricane was love and will be so so so freaking missed... <3
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Tue May 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Hurricane...
I already knew he'd died before the post, from one of my sleeping characters in the area (sometimes they light up for no reason so I check to make them go grey again)... But one of my active characters will be devastated when she finds out - which will probably be soon, she's heading in the right direction.

I may have encountered Sweetberry once or twice, the name seems familiar, but aside from that I didn't really know any of the others.

Return to “General Discussion”