The Dead Character Thread

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Akulli

Re: The Dead Character Thread

Postby Akulli » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Akulli Marseille
My first character, and one of my favorites. She was Aros and Alexandra's little sister. Everyone she loved eventually died or fell into a deep sleep and I lost any motivation to play her.

Airulin
Not my favorite character. She had started off good enough. I sent her walking as soon as she spawned, and in the next town over she met a girl named Aubrina who needed saving from a stalker. So she walked back and got help and decided to live with her. She outlived two lovers and left a third behind. Sorry...

Adelaide
She was never quite the same after losing her lover. After almost two years of traveling with her, she was one of my most skilled characters. Eventually her boat, Seabreeze, was stolen and I just couldn't play her after that. I guess if someone wants to be the kind of person who steals the hard work of another character, I can't really complain, but I wish I had never ran into that kind of person. To be honest, I feel like there are better ways of playing an antagonist that doesn't completely ruin the experience of the person you target. And if she was just trying to get off that island, she could have easily just asked. Adelaide had been in search of a companion to travel with anyway. Her loss hurt, though not as much as others.

Alanna
Spent her entire life traveling with Red, but I was going through a hard time and everyone they spawned in and made friends with would always die and I just couldn't enjoy her anymore. I hope he made good use of her house.

Lenore
Same story as some of the others. Lost all of her traveling companions and just couldn't get the motivation to keep going.

Caverly
One of my favorites, she lived with Artax, Mona and Isabeau. When they all died, she sort of went crazy. Killed one newspawn and almost killed another before they stole Isabeau's stuff and took off running. She locked herself inside with all of their keys and waited for death.

Theodore
Didn't last an in-game year. I can't play male characters...

Lily from Olip
Also one of my favorites. A sweet, mute girl who loves cookies and wanted to have her own bakery. I couldn't do it anymore once most of her loved ones died. She was with her best friend until the very end though, and I can't regret that.

Madeleine
Her life was just... sad. It didn't last long.

Scarlet
She was a cook for a small town in the middle of nowhere. At least she left them with a ton of food?

Snow
My albino girl. She had a lot of secrets about herself that she never told anyone. I was intending for her to go searching for the one friend she could trust to know about herself, but she died before she could find them.

Azalea
Eh.

Skylar
Also eh.

Tamora
Eh x3
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:14 am

Eventually her boat, Seabreeze, was stolen and I just couldn't play her after that. I guess if someone wants to be the kind of person who steals the hard work of another character, I can't really complain, but I wish I had never ran into that kind of person. To be honest, I feel like there are better ways of playing an antagonist that doesn't completely ruin the experience of the person you target.

I'm sorry, but... do you think you might be able to give examples? That sounds like it was an in-character thing.
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 am

Not Akulli as well! :cry:
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Some great losses lately, they will be missed.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:36 am

Snow will be greatly missed. Her friend will always remember her :(

Also Akulli and Aros :(
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Happy trails, MonkeyPants and Akulli. Good game.
curious

Postby curious » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am

Genie wrote:Some great losses lately, they will be missed.

This.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 am

So yeah, after I quit, I couldn't actually stay away for very long, but I pretty much didn't tell anyone because I had made such a big deal out of leaving. I only created three characters this time around and not even all at once. I didn't want Cantr to fill my whole life like it did in the past.

Lapis Canutus was the first one. He spawned in Zuzi and questioned the practice of giving new spawns hide clothing and bone tools. He called them troglodytes and a lot of people took offense. When he walked off, some woman came after him and said that if he ever comes back, she'll see him dead because she can't forgive him insulting her husband.

Since then he took as his goal to make the world abandon the primitive ways. Long story short, he ran into Elijah of the Order who convinced him that he had better chances of changing the world if he joins the Order. So for what, 19 years he pretty much just followed orders and in the end was no closer to the goal than when he started. Then a newspawn appeared with a vision and Lapis saw that the only way he could reach his original goals was to break free of the Order. In his mind, plotting to kill Elijah would have been more fair than just leaving while he was out of town, plus he didn't want to take the risk that Elijah would go haywire and start actually conquering towns with people. He tried to get help but the ones with the most power said you're on your own. He did manage to arrange a ride to take the newspawn to safety. He waited an hour after they had left to give them a head start, then wrote a "f this shit I'm out" note to Elijah and left. At first I thought they weren't going to chase him, but when he got to the next town, they were already there. This lead into a chase that pretty much only worked out because I would spontaneously wake up about every three hours that night. I slowed down his speed so that the chasers ended up about 97% down the road at next tick. There were several options to consider, but I decided to speed up again and ended up arriving at the next town on the same tick as the chasers. Also the newspawn he had tried to save was there. He passed the driver a note that said "flee" - they had decided in advance where to regroup. They made it to their destination and requested sanctuary. A few hours later the chasers found them, but I was offline and they didn't wait around. I'm guessing too many witnesses to start murdering anybody.

So now he was safe, but fell into apathy and finally acknowledged that he didn't have enough power to change the world. I had seen enough stagnation that the chances of finding even a single town that would be willing to stop using stone and bone tools and start giving newspawns proper clothing were so slim that I didn't want to waste my time searching. This is why I quit, because nobody has proper ambitions anymore or willingness to leave their comfort zones.

The second character was Tiger Stripes. She couldn't fit in at Omeo the same way Meridian had, so she tried to find another place to live, but I lost my motivation and let her die in the wilderness long ago.

The third one was Aquamarine. She had a couple of friends and I really liked her quirkiness but she would spend a lot of time sleeping, only to wake up and blurt out some non sequitur about the fishes. I could say anything through her because she had no social filter, which was somewhat liberating. I would have been ok with continuing to play her, but Lapis had turned so disappointing that I just wanted to axe him fast, and Aquamarine was collateral damage. I'm sorry if I let people down.
Not-so-sad panda
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am

Oh, Lapis, you poor soul...
Hodoo

Postby Hodoo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 am

Not one of mine, but I'd like to pay my respects to Dawn of Longinazy Forest West.
She will be deeply missed.

Also if her player ever happens to read this, I'd appreciate possibly messaging me
Vega

Postby Vega » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Live has been hectic and it seems I've idled out D:
I'll wait a few days and I'll try to write about them...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am

So during my recent sleepy spell I lost a few.

Some were a relief, others were more like a stab in the gut but that's what I get for avoiding the game for no good reason.

Alanis Cassidy: I truly am sorry that I didn't catch her in time. I wanted to try and persevere or at least tidy up her notes and specify the outfits she was happy to give to the town. I hope there wasn't anything too cringy in her diaries and I hope the more useful ones make sense. I hope her designs live on and someone adopt the heel collection she was only just starting to build.

Gwendolyn Doe: This one really hurt. She led a simple life but it was perfect. I genuinely thought she had more food on her. I am so sorry to the one person who mattered.

Ezfir Tien: I can't remember what happened here but by the time she died it wasn't much of a loss to me. She tried/I tried. Someone robbed her and she ended up in some mountains.

Nellwyn: After a long mess to do with her hometown, she lost the will to live. She may not have been killed directly but she never wanted to leave. I'll/she'll never forgive the drama that was invited in to her peaceful forest, the chase across a good portion of the lower part of the island, the conflict and the petty resolution. I hope someone worthwhile finds her belongings and puts them to good use.

Pomona Vie & Selene Cali These pair were fairly new and fairly nondescript. Apologies for any false hope.

Now to try and keep my other favourites alive.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 am

RIP Nellwyn and Gwendolyn :(
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Lilly in Olip.

So sorry to hear this. :(
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
altoids

Postby altoids » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 am

Jupiter, artisan and political activist turned gentleman rogue
Anders, caretaker of a sleepy Swedish village
Jonni, Swedish explorer and ornithologist
Leonard "Lenny the Loony" Face, dread pirate
Edward, explorer on Fu
45-B aka Forby. Polyglot, industrous village caretaker, explorer, tirelessly working to restore telecommunications on Haven

Return to “General Discussion”