Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

cutecuddlydirewolf

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 pm

[quote="Mitch79"}What I am irritated about, is the lack of communication regarding the change and the lack of time to adapt to it. Players should have been given more time to adjust. This should not have been a complete sudden tomorrow's the day we're changing a major game mechanic that is going to affect many many characters lives and completely change their lives. The way it was implemented should have been handled better[/quote]

I'll agree with that much. There definitely could have been some warning given.

(Edit: Oops, I broke the coding.)
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Mitch79 wrote:What I am irritated about, is the lack of communication regarding the change and the lack of time to adapt to it. Players should have been given more time to adjust. This should not have been a complete sudden tomorrow's the day we're changing a major game mechanic that is going to affect many many characters lives and completely change their lives. The way it was implemented should have been handled better

I'll agree with that much. There definitely could have been some warning given.

(Edit: Oops, I broke the coding. :oops: )
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Dear Players,

Combat changes are overdue. Longstanding discussions remain ongoing regarding a complete overhaul of the combat system, but some adjustments to combat effects within the current system are necessary in the short term and will be implemented soon. The most noticeable of these changes will be that Dragging of characters will produce a tiredness effect similar to attacks. The second change will be that Damage will no longer be a factor in character vulnerability, either for dragging or subsequent attacks. This should render group attacks on passive characters less overpowered. Note that no current possibilities will be eliminated, including instant actions. The largest effects will be for repeated actions.

These adjustments should allow more players opportunities to participate in combat roleplay, in a manner consistent with a slow-paced game. While conflict is essential to the game, instant mass murder is not. We will hope to enable a greater variety of combat scenarios.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation in adjusting to these changes.
Game Administration Board

This announcement kinda got lost in the radiopocalypse, but I'm cool with this. Seems like sensible changes to me.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:09 pm

problem is... yes some things need changes, and in some cases, in the direction they are being changed but... too much. too extreme. like using a sledgehammer to put in a finishing nail.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 am

viewtopic.php?p=580989#p580992
Greek wrote:Well, the radio was the smallest of changes that have happened yesterday.
Unfortunately other stuff has overlaid with my planned modifications.

Thanks for reporting. Now it should be fixed.

:shock:
witia1

Postby witia1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am

To be honest I don't think it will change fighting in game much and it will still be "drag oriented". Now you will need to plan it better but still locking someone out gives to big advantage.
It will shift sides of equation, as aggressors will have problem with executing this tactics but they will be vulnerable to such "atack" as usualy aggressor needs more succesfull dragging attempts to lockout target.
It might be now even greater factor than it was before change. Or at least it will change way it is used but that might be good thing as limits a bit risk of being surprised and lock out in middle of night by some raker crew.

I think that also people dragging should not take in to account strength/fighting skill. I know it's maybe more logical to have this factor but it puts to big pressure on this abilities, in my opinion, with current fight mechanic.
Rest In Pieces.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 pm

witia1 wrote:I think that also people dragging should not take in to account strength/fighting skill. I know it's maybe more logical to have this factor but it puts to big pressure on this abilities, in my opinion, with current fight mechanic.

It's a better alternative than having a flat, base dragging stat. Honestly, what I feel like we need is more ways to break in/out of buildings, vehicles, etc.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 am

Dear Players,

Combat changes are overdue. Longstanding discussions remain ongoing regarding a complete overhaul of the combat system, but some adjustments to combat effects within the current system are necessary in the short term and will be implemented soon. The most noticeable of these changes will be that Dragging of characters will produce a tiredness effect similar to attacks. The second change will be that Damage will no longer be a factor in character vulnerability, either for dragging or subsequent attacks. This should render group attacks on passive characters less overpowered. Note that no current possibilities will be eliminated, including instant actions. The largest effects will be for repeated actions.

These adjustments should allow more players opportunities to participate in combat roleplay, in a manner consistent with a slow-paced game. While conflict is essential to the game, instant mass murder is not. We will hope to enable a greater variety of combat scenarios.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation in adjusting to these changes.
Game Administration Board

There's a major flaw in the logic for this...yes, it might make it harder for those with ill-intent towards others to carry out their dastardly plans (unless they are in a big enough group, in which case, it won't make much difference to them) however, it also makes it so much harder in defense. A large group of pirates invade your town - they can start dragging people away with 3 or 4 of them working together. You, on the other hand, are the only one awake from the town and are unable to drag even one other to safety!
On a more regular basis, your travelling partner falls sleepy at one stop on a journey and you can't shift them back into the vehicle alone. Someone else comes by and is kind enough to help when you ask, but with the tiredness effect, even that isn't successful!

There really needs to be a way of distinguishing between friendly and unfriendly dragging. Otherwise people are just going to stop travelling with others, because it'll become far too dull if you end up having to keep hanging around waiting so long.
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:42 am

Someone else comes by and is kind enough to help when you ask, but with the tiredness effect, even that isn't successful!

Isn't there tea to diminish tiredness? I always thought it was pretty useless until now, seems like it will actually serve a purpose. :mrgreen:
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 am

Meorwen wrote:
Someone else comes by and is kind enough to help when you ask, but with the tiredness effect, even that isn't successful!

Isn't there tea to diminish tiredness? I always thought it was pretty useless until now, seems like it will actually serve a purpose. :mrgreen:

Tea (and about three quarters of the healing liquids) were nerfed years ago after the Doryiskom Massacre - they were completely ineffectual for a while until stomach capacity was implemented, and now they're so dilute that a full stomach of tea only gets you about 15% energy back (iirc which I could be wrong). Vomiting costs about 45% tiredness so it's not worth it to purge and fill up with more tea.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 am

With ships it will be especially problematic. If average strenth is similar to strength of character that is being draged then you need at least 3 cantrians to do that. And that will work only if it will bemax 3 dragg attempts. Else you need fourth person to help.

It's a better alternative than having a flat, base dragging stat. Honestly, what I feel like we need is more ways to break in/out of buildings, vehicles, etc.

Flat values are better for defenders. As you can assume that aggersors will have this stats above average. So essentially to kidnap anyone and hide in cargohold with flat values you need at least 4 people.
With skill based 2 attackers still might be enough (only against very weak characters but still).
Rest In Pieces.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:55 am

I am dealing with some major health issues in the family (MIL)... but the event in the sky at least inspired me.

I hope she lives... I plan to come back...
But after this ^^^^ Who knows if I'll be allowed?

Or maybe this one is better? You all know when you are supposed to sing along. Or you will.

A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

so I just realized
.."The second change will be that Damage will no longer be a factor in character vulnerability, either for dragging or subsequent attacks"

this part actually ha a profound effect on a character of mine who doesn't even fight or drag for a living, but they wrote a lot of stuff that they have to throw away now because of this.. so much for that career.. I didn't realize it effected him from this angle until just now.. the radio nerf had me distracted enough... and this character was one of my top effected by that.

omfg...
viktor

Postby viktor » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 am

hey!...... when did the sailing mechanic change?
specifically. when were we allowed to leave the deck of a ship and the ship keep sailing? I left a character inside a cabin through a sailing tick, and when I ran them back out... the ship was still going. this wasn't the case before, the ship would always stop
went in cabin at 5436-0.14
ran back out on deck at 5436-1.30
ship was still going full ahead which I am happy about but I never knew this mechanic had changed, it woulda made life a lot easier had I known.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 am

Was the ship actually sailing though, or had you started docking? :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”