Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby Snickie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am

Ooooo - that wasn't there this morning. :D
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 am

You mean the weather/season icons?
I think ...
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 pm

If you have the testing turned on, they've been there a couple of weeks now. :) They are nice.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah, I like the weather and season icons a lot.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Love the weather/ season icons
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm often finding myself looking at those icons and smiling. :D
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Blackdeath

Postby Blackdeath » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 pm

+1 for the Seasons / Weather. Really cool.
---------------
"Genius has its limitations. Stupidity is not thus handicapped."

1120-7: You are killed by a moose.
1120-7: You see a man in his thirties hurt a moose using a
longbow.
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Dear Players,

GAB is planning some adjustments to radio networks. Radios have not been serving well the dynamics of a slow paced game, they have shifted focus away from local environments, and they have placed unnecessary pressures on players attempting to keep apart the interests of multiple characters in the same region. For these and other reasons, we will be disabling repeater-repeater transmission, and reducing the base ranges of all units. We understand that these changes will prove inconvenient for some characters, however we'll ask for some patience in making adjustments. We will reconsider any future adjustments only after evaluating effects over some time in multiple regions. In order to allow time to prepare for these changes, we will delay implementation for some days. We also hope to be announcing more new features and game changes soon.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation during implementation of these changes.

Game Administration Board

Ehhh, Im not sure how I feel about this. I am both happy and not happy. I'm tired of all the chatter from island to island, but at the same time I feel like this might hurt movement of players to more active areas. considering how small the player base is. This doesn't say a lot to me because I don't have any idea of the ranges, but I think removing repeater to repeater is excessive. Maybe just reduce the range of the repeaters? I think overall this could hurt gameplay a lot. Just my 2 cents.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 am

There have been even some same island radios which weren't working well. I remember not being able to reach just one town away place with medium range radio and my char had to use the vehicle radio, another char of mine had to build a new radio for the same reason even though there was a long range radio. I fail to see how good these changes will do for the game while radio dynamics are never certain and often problematic.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:45 am

Some of the chatter and abuse did get tiresome at times, so on that hand I think its a good thing. II was turning into a dirty chatroom sometimes.

On the downside... I think this is a positive development for those who choose lives of raiding or piracy.

The yin and the yang.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 am

Alladinsane wrote:Some of the chatter and abuse did get tiresome at times, so on that hand I think its a good thing. II was turning into a dirty chatroom sometimes.

On the downside... I think this is a positive development for those who choose lives of raiding or piracy.

The yin and the yang.

Yet the thing is also now that due activity or rather lack of it, you can wipe towns empty too now.. Radio was like last line of defence
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:48 pm

I know this opinion is in the minority here, but I actually think that the radio nerfing might have a positive impact on gameplay. It seems like it really did make everything far too easy and simple- thieves and pirates didn't stand a chance, and news traveled far too quickly. As others have said, characters tended to be glued to the radio for fear of missing something important. It made everything too simple.

That being said, a good many players appear to be unhappy with the change, and reasonably so. The radio has been very heavily relied on for a number of things, and this will undoubtedly harm trade and general economy. But I personally do believe that it will help the spirit of the game, maybe adding another element of risk and uncertainty. If anything will pull the game out of stagnation, this might.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:16 pm

I am not against the radio changes. I think it's going to be a good thing overall. What I am irritated about, is the lack of communication regarding the change and the lack of time to adapt to it. Players should have been given more time to adjust. This should not have been a complete sudden tomorrow's the day we're changing a major game mechanic that is going to affect many many characters lives and completely change their lives. The way it was implemented should have been handled better
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:I know this opinion is in the minority here, but I actually think that the radio nerfing might have a positive impact on gameplay. It seems like it really did make everything far too easy and simple- thieves and pirates didn't stand a chance, and news traveled far too quickly. As others have said, characters tended to be glued to the radio for fear of missing something important. It made everything too simple.

That being said, a good many players appear to be unhappy with the change, and reasonably so. The radio has been very heavily relied on for a number of things, and this will undoubtedly harm trade and general economy. But I personally do believe that it will help the spirit of the game, maybe adding another element of risk and uncertainty. If anything will pull the game out of stagnation, this might.

Im with you.
- End of the memo. -
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:00 pm

[quote="Mitch79"What I am irritated about, is the lack of communication regarding the change and the lack of time to adapt to it. Players should have been given more time to adjust. This should not have been a complete sudden tomorrow's the day we're changing a major game mechanic that is going to affect many many characters lives and completely change their lives. The way it was implemented should have been handled better[/quote]

I'll agree with that much. There definitely could have been some warning given.

Return to “General Discussion”