Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:11 am

What are you talking about?
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Did something change in the layout recently? Now in the Finnish translation, the Activity button wraps over to the next line because Finnish words are slightly longer than English, so they don't fit on one row with the current screen width. Considering that most computer screens are wider than the 800x600px they were when Cantr was created, wouldn't it be time to make the page class wider than 700 px? I realize I can make my own css but it would make sense to change the original skin.
Not-so-sad panda
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:48 pm

I noticed some differences too while playing on mobile. Like the amount of empty space between project status bar and the action tabs. There's almost no empty space so when clicking the "inventory" tab, for example it's very easy to accidentally press the project status bar.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:35 pm

I just noticed that as well. It looks very crowded.
Not-so-sad panda
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 pm

SekoETC wrote:Did something change in the layout recently? Now in the Finnish translation, the Activity button wraps over to the next line because Finnish words are slightly longer than English, so they don't fit on one row with the current screen width.

The navigation panel was not organized in a way normal for all page's layout, because then I had no idea how to do it correctly. When I had to fix that inconsistency I've noticed the problem and fixed it only for CalyxMod skin. Now it should work for all skins.
And possibly introducing some other troubles, so please report them here in case anything's wrong.
There will be some more CSS changes in the near future, but they'll probably need to be discussed.

Millhouse wrote:I noticed some differences too while playing on mobile. Like the amount of empty space between project status bar and the action tabs. There's almost no empty space so when clicking the "inventory" tab, for example it's very easy to accidentally press the project status bar.

I don't know if anything has changed recently about mobile view. I'll check it.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick fix. I kept clicking People instead of Objects and Objects instead of Activity because I was used to the old positions, but now everything is back to normal.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 am

Did session expiry change? I left my browser on overnight which I've never done before, and when I came back, my session hadn't expired.
Not-so-sad panda
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 am

This behaviour isn't new. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
I think this is because of a little bug (or quirk) in the session expiration check. Once every tick the system checks for expiration (i think about half an hour after the projects tick). If your last page call is too long ago it ends the session.
My guess is this check is on time-of-day only, not taking date into account. If your last page call has been after the last expiration check of the day, but before midnight (GMT) your last page call will always be 'later' than the check time, so your session will never be ended.
I think ...
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

The skin change seems to have broken the action tab (events, inventory, objects etc) for me on mobile. They are all in one line and run off the screen instead of being stacked like before. Amazon Fire phone. Silk browser.

ETA: I was using green.css. Classic.css works fine.
Greek

Postby Greek » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Millhouse wrote:The skin change seems to have broken the action tab (events, inventory, objects etc) for me on mobile. They are all in one line and run off the screen instead of being stacked like before. Amazon Fire phone. Silk browser.

ETA: I was using green.css. Classic.css works fine.

Thanks for the report. I'll try to fix it now.

EDIT: Fixed
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 am

Something weird happened with the noticeboard edit screen. It's all scrunched!
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Greek

Postby Greek » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:29 am

The noticeboard edition page is the same page as editing note, but the problem did occur only for noticeboard...
It's fixed.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:11 am

Apparently the names of ships at sea are no longer dynamic. Does this mean that people see what the sign says instead of what they have custom named it, or is it merely that you can't change the name but still see what you have called it? If it's the former then it's good news for pirates, because that means they can hide behind a new name up to the moment when they dock.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:27 pm

I noticed there's a new button for joining the game, so I clicked it to see if the next page has also been updated. It's quite a wall of text. Also it says that returning players should fill out the form and just mention they're returning players, whereas as far as I know, they now need to just log into their old account and it can be reactivated that way.
Not-so-sad panda
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:33 pm

I don't much like the new button. It looks a bit garish to me. It makes me think of pop up ads trying to get you to click so they can lead you somewhere unseemly. It is also really huge on a phone and pushes the login section down too far. I do think there needed to be more visibility, but I think it is a bit much.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!

Return to “General Discussion”