Violence, Violence, and more Violence

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:24 pm

Alcatraz wrote:The only reason combat is as it is, which is a very unrealistic and strange system, is to make it work fairly. People who are sleeping must be given the chance to defend themselves. Auto-hit back functions are not implemented because the characters are controlled by the play, not by little programs.

I would be interested in hearing of a new system that actually works...

And it must be per character. Your characters are seperate entities, not to be mass influenced by one characters actions, as per player would do.

I'm confused. I didn't mention autohit (this time). Just a time limit on how often violence could be intiatied per chracter.

In any combat system how often should you be able to hit for full perfect damage? I was thinking 1 minute real time which is 3 times per Cantr minute.

I think a new system would have to be built in small steps.

Another small step could be randomness to hitting that ephiroll mentions. You can punch around a shield sometimes, you can't hit the broadside of a barn with a crossbow sometimes.

After enough small steps the work there could be a whole new combat system that works.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:27 pm

I bet those damn councellors wish they had good ol' Silverfoot and her loyal men back in Krif now ;)

With the luck she has been having I bet she will be framed for the massacre :)
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:30 pm

I'm confused. I didn't mention autohit (this time). Just a time limit on how often violence could be intiatied per chracter.

If energy was implemented hitting people could decrease the energy, making it impossible to hit more then for example 5-6 people before needing to rest.
Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:54 pm

Solfius wrote:if fighting was a project, it would make it fairer.

the attacker couldn't run away instantly, and perhaps part of the programming could be that you only try to dodge blows (making you harder to hit?) until the player sets the character to fight back.

Perhaps you could walk/run away from a fighting project, but you that does kind of miss the point of making it a project in the first place, unless you only have a random chance of breaking from the fight.

just some ideas to through into the arena

Hmmmm

Other small pieces...

If you "see" an attack coming IRL irregardless if you choose to fight or flee you would try to avoid. Avoiding by standing your ground is already covered in sheild values. A new thing would be avoiding by running away. You get to set a "fight" or "flee" flag for your character. The "fight" option would work like today, yo sit there and get pummeled. The "flee" option would cancel you project and send you randomly to a trail or building and reduce the damage.

Then there is the counter measure of not being seen before an attack. It should at least take an Cantr hour in preperation to be done at assassin level. But I don't have a specfic suggestion since all that spy vs. spy stuff can get pretty complicated.

The running away of the attacker could be solved by having the intention to travel as a project. Instead of 0% travelling being on the trail, it would be a project that at the end of the hour puts you a percentage down the trail. This means that all chracters are in a location for at least three real time hours. You could still do a hit and run but not a hit, run, turnaround, hit, run, etc. etc. without running a risk of getting caught. However I do like to avoid some locations by running though like I can today. So there should be a way I can avoid being in a town too. This would still keep the villagers safe from the hit and runners somewhat.

Then there is the Cantr City use of a building. A lot could be said about popping in and popping out of a building as oppsed to a trail. However since those two would have made murder holes in there home so they didn't have to come out they would have. So the instant access to buildings is still somewhat valid. In that case most of the town would have fled to a random place and not perished. The two would still be safe inside their fortress.
Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:56 pm

Pirog wrote:

If energy was implemented hitting people could decrease the energy, making it impossible to hit more then for example 5-6 people before needing to rest.

that's true

slicing 20 people has got to be at least a small workout.
having to run them down and all.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:58 pm

Yeah. I don't know if I could do that, although I'm not exactly the healthiest person around. Ranged weapons should take less energy to use than melee types, of course, and crossbows maybe should take more time to reload than regular bows, since they are exceptionally slow to fire (with the exception of certain Chinese weapons which could fire a three bolt magazine, but with reduced power)
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:17 pm

OniKaze>

I would like to see a more advanced combat system, but that feels like going far off topic :)
Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Funny.

Violence and combat. No relation.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:24 pm

My original intention with the thread was to bring up the whole issues of the unbalanced combat system, with Krif as a recent example. Just stir it up to keep the ideas boiling over.

So it has yet to og off topic I think.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:38 pm

Goodwin>

Hehe, I meant bringing up specific advice on weapons effects and so on.
It feels more like a discussion for the Suggestion forum.
I started a topic there about weapons.
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:41 pm

Perssonally I think the combat system would be much fairer if randomness was put into it. For instance (and I've said this before somewhere) a base chance to be hit should be 80%, 60% with a wooden shield, 55% with a targe, and 45% with an iron shield. Weapons should do a random amount of damage on a successful strike, for example a hunting bow should do 0-22%. This would completly even out the entire combat system, as well as slow combat down to a more managable time scale while still keeping it as instant and final as it always has been...once in a while, as luck would have it, a couple people will still be able to eradicate a town, but it would be much rarer then it is now.

A random combat system would also end the "invincibility" enjoyed by those with iron sheilds in areas that haven't begin steel production, which I think is another very important issue, especially if Jos is planning for even more islands to be opened up for play. If things are kept as they are, then there will be the same cycle of violence that we've seen in the Karnon/Kwor region on every new island as they are opened for play.
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:43 pm

agreed, both Ehpiroll, and David saying improving the combat system step by step
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:45 pm

Yeah, randomness in the damage is a great idea.

That would actually make it able for an unarmed mob to take down a single well armed warrior.
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:45 pm

.west. wrote:the whole region will wait anxiously to see how Maynard handles the situation.

I know everyone is wondering what's going to happen now, but what happened in Krif really threw a monkey wrenth into Maynard's works...I'm interested in seeing what happens also :?.
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
XBL

Postby XBL » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:47 pm

My idea of how the combat system should be:

First of all, how many times you may attack should be binded to the weapon AND the character. This means you can't pass on a weapon, nor you can't attack the same person several times. The limit of attacking someone once a day should stay.

But... when someone hits back, the counter of attacking should be reset. Like A attacks B. A can't attack B anymore, for this day. But 10min later, B attacks A. This will reset the attack counter for A on B, so A can attack B again.
Than A has to wait for a response from B...

Jochem

Return to “General Discussion”