Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

It's annoying when someone is trying to rp a slow healing process and people expect them to eat a bunch of healing food and heal instantly. Unless it's a hostile environment, there's no need to heal instantly. Nursing makes better rp.
Not-so-sad panda
thamior757

Postby thamior757 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm

You have obviously never been hospitalized after a wolf attack in real life. They give you a dollop of honey and send you on your way.
Circumlocution built under her expectant gaze, her lips ushering a soft sigh. He resigned, face flush. Next up ordered a venti latte.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 pm

SekoETC wrote:It's annoying when someone is trying to rp a slow healing process and people expect them to eat a bunch of healing food and heal instantly. Unless it's a hostile environment, there's no need to heal instantly. Nursing makes better rp.

My characters are often guilty of this. However, in their world it makes no sense to them for someone to stand around with a gaping wound when everyone knows you can eat an armload of onions and be as good as new. :wink:
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:44 pm

freiana wrote:For some chars 40% hurt means a broken leg, for others it means bleeding all over the place, for others it means just a scratch or bruise.

Did anyone else think "'Tis but a scratch" when they read that? I sure did.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Black Canyon wrote:
SekoETC wrote:It's annoying when someone is trying to rp a slow healing process and people expect them to eat a bunch of healing food and heal instantly. Unless it's a hostile environment, there's no need to heal instantly. Nursing makes better rp.

My characters are often guilty of this. However, in their world it makes no sense to them for someone to stand around with a gaping wound when everyone knows you can eat an armload of onions and be as good as new. :wink:

This. I'm getting used to others role-playing a healing process, but it took a lot of getting used to, since I'm generally a mechanics type guy.

I'm also continually annoyed by the real-world conventions that many characters spawn with, and think it's one of the biggest obstacles to establishing unique societies.

I'm annoyed that ticks are so far apart. I lose three RL hours of progress when some drama breaks out 5 mins before the project tick and I'm not at my project to work on it.

I'm annoyed by the music system, or the lack of a music system, and the inability to properly display art in general.

I'm annoyed that it's pretty much impossible to communicate with a foreign player that doesn't speak your language (since you can't even emote with them). At least we can point at almost anything now (it helps a lot).

I'm annoyed that I can't yet domesticate (insert your animal of choice here).

That said, the game is clearly awesome enough that I play despite all these issues I'm still playing daily after a very long time.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Doug R. wrote:I'm annoyed that ticks are so far apart. I lose three RL hours of progress when some drama breaks out 5 mins before the project tick and I'm not at my project to work on it.

Uh. Didn't know that. That really really sucks, and 3 hours is way too long.
:?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Oh, you really need to know the tick timings or else you won't be on a level playing field with old vets like me that use these this knowledge to our advantage.

Tick timings:
http://joo.freehostia.com/cantr/ticks/

Also, Cantr Enhanced has a timer built into it that counts down to the nearest tick.

http://cantr-mmorpg.pl/english/cantr-enhanced-script/

It's not cheating, because it can all be figured out in-game. These resources just make it really easy.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Doug R. wrote:Oh, you really need to know the tick timings or else you won't be on a level playing field with old vets like me that use these this knowledge to our advantage.

I totally appreciate that, thank you.

It makes sense of course, but it just feels like knowing the mechanics inside and out should not be necessary to be on the same level, being a role-play game and all. We're not playing strategy in Catan here lol. But, like I said it does make sense to utilize, it's just a downer that it has to be.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:56 am

It wasn't designed as a role-playing game. It's just became one.

The upshot of a three-hour RL tick is that you can run around role-playing for 2 hours and 55 minutes and then go stand at your project and still get three RL hours worth of work done ;)
Last edited by Doug R. on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 am

Doug R. wrote:It wasn't designed as a role-playing game. It's just become one.

The upshot of a three-hour RL tick is that you can run around role-playing for 2 hours and 55 minutes and then go stand at your project and still get three RL hours worth of work done ;)

No kidding. I knew it was a simulator too, but I didn't know roleplay came in later. Interesting.
Yeah lol that's one good thing as long as you're keeping track of ticks. I can see your point.

On topic:

I'm annoyed that it's nearly impossible to make occupations that would be great for roleplay purposes and a lot of fun profitable. Like the earlier mentioned hair stylist. It'd be a great thing to play out and do if people would actually pay for it so you could make a living. That'd be flippin' sweet.

I'm also slightly annoyed that making coins and creating a currency based economy is so tediously difficult and redundant that people don't use it much anywhere. I'd love to have a bank owner one day, or something. I'd like to have a character bathe in coins instead of wood, and metal. :lol:
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 am

LittleSoul wrote:I'd like to have a character bathe in coins instead of wood, and metal. :lol:

If you're bathing in that many resources then build a coin press marked "LittleSoul's Characters Coins" and turn all your metal into coins. :lol:
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 am

LittleSoul wrote:I'm also slightly annoyed that making coins and creating a currency based economy is so tediously difficult and redundant that people don't use it much anywhere. I'd love to have a bank owner one day, or something. I'd like to have a character bathe in coins instead of wood, and metal. :lol:

Well, you could try becoming a bank owner, but more in the bankaccount kind of way, try and let people store their stuff with you, and get a little bit of interest on it, and then loan stuff out for a bit more interest ;)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:55 pm

The problem with coins is entirely trust. Characters die too easily. Why take a coin when you can have it's equivalent of something useful in your hand? After all, the banker could fall asleep tomorrow and never wake up to take it.

Now, the Klojt coin has been used for an eternity. If there's any currency that has a chance in hell of catching on, it's Klojt's.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:43 am

I would say that the Akypor currency system has a chance also, if enough businesses and commerce can be developed in that town.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Nothing builds trust more than taking a few coins you find on a dead guy and actually being able to cash them in for something when you happen upon the right town.

Based on that, an argument could be made that the best way to establish a currency is to drive around tossing coins all over the place for people to find. An investment, to be sure, but possibly necessary.

Return to “General Discussion”