In-Game Religions

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Do you think Religion in Cantr is a good idea?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 110
AoM

Postby AoM » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:27 am

The Surly Cantrian wrote:True.

Well he has a convert already, hopefully he can get a few more. Then they can guide him. :wink:

And you should see him, he's a walking armoury... :lol:

A blind priest with enough weapons to arm a militia? Yes, we Kwori would love to see that... :lol:
Schme

Postby Schme » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:17 am

I am writting some religious scripture.

It is based on the programers being the creator gods, who do not interfere with people because we are sort of like a reality TV show, and so, the best way to worship is to lead an interesting lives.

I write this for lack of devine intervention.

This is a great thread though, and I must agree, there are simply not enough religions and superstitions, espicially for such a primitive people as Cantr.

I've learned alot from these threads, though.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 am

Just curious, has anybody used the in game bugs as acts of god? Or does everyone just ignore them? Things like the mysterious boats you see undocking from "travelling", the sudden disappearance of all the 200 some buffalos that used to roam around Karnon and KF, and the recent memory loss could be used as well.

Everybody knows that most cantrians seem to have the "I'll believe it when I see it" type attitude, when we've been seeing it all this time!
Schme

Postby Schme » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:40 am

Actually, it's crossed my mind, it's just that whenever I've felt the urge to envagelize ("Testify, my brother!") I've been on bad terms with the local law, and not in a posistion to be believed.

Nobody wants an unpopular person to be a spiritual leader.

Joseph Stalin
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:25 am

This relates to your question, but its not about religion, but merely environmental conservatism.... It's not an ingame bug, but a new programming change was used in Olipifirovash Forest.

Iron used to be mined directly from the ground, without having to process hematite first. Once the iron was replaced with Hematite, the Clans of Olipifirovash Forest got even more restrictive with allowing others to mine for resources in the Forest. They figured out that all the strangers must have mined all the pure iron and depleated the resource and they will not allow that to happen to any other resource.
Agar

Postby Agar » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:59 am

I know a person who wasn't a religeous leader who rationalised a bug in character. There was a time where cantr was unavailable for 3 days and then picked up right where it left off, and the character, who has some belief that she came from not of this world and was hunted by a highly advanced culture, claimed it as proof the culture had tracked her to the general location and used some kind of freeze time ray to search for her.

It was damn funny.
Reality was never my strong point.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:36 am

And now they eliminated you because you know too much! :shock: Oh wait, haven't realized he's dead yet. But I'm sure someone will mention it eventually.
Not-so-sad panda
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:43 am

schme wrote:

It is based on the programers being the creator gods, who do not interfere with people because we are sort of like a reality TV show, and so, the best way to worship is to lead an interesting lives.

Kind of like a Cantr Niche.

Sorry, I just like to quote myself, because I'm so prolific.

Agar wrote:I know a person who wasn't a religeous leader who rationalised a bug in character. There was a time where cantr was unavailable for 3 days and then picked up right where it left off, and the character, who has some belief that she came from not of this world and was hunted by a highly advanced culture, claimed it as proof the culture had tracked her to the general location and used some kind of freeze time ray to search for her.

It was damn funny.

That is damn funny!

Priceless stuff.

Joseph Stalin
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:40 am

LOL :) Someone invented god named KeVes in Polish Zone :P They thought that KeVes cares about animals the most, but they are wrong :P KeVes cares much more about Cantrians :P

And of course BIG YES for RELIGION :) Cantr is much more interesting with that :)
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
Vanya

Re: In-Game Religions

Postby Vanya » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Doing some necro in this old post, I can´t name my character´s name of course, but "it" is involved into starting a new religion. Because religion is one of the spices of life!! At least, it gives some flavor to a game. Sadly, I found no religions around in my 2 or 3 experiences in Cantr, and I played in 2 languages at least.
So... its time for a new god/ddes :p
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Establishing a religion in Cantr is really tough. There is heavy OOC bias against religion with the majority of characters either responding with hostility, derision, apathy, or condescending tolerance to the first religion they encounter. Apathy being the most common but least work of the four since you can ignore them too.

Probably the best way to get a religion established is to focus on ritual instead of lore. There are dozens of interesting creation myths and other lores in Cantr that never spread beyond their initial prophet and his/her notes. Ritual on the other hand opens the door for people to ask why you are doing that and you can explain the lore/theology then. Instead of just an interesting story the belief can cause someone to live differently. It just needs to be something that your religious character does regularly and publically (The Zuzi funeral ritual comes to mind) Definitely have some sort of ritual for the dead since death is common in Cantr. but I would recommend more than just that. Maybe do a dance of blessing for new spawns. Leave out food for the spirits of the dead, , have a vow of vulnerability where you live for a year without a shield, engage in ritual martial arts or combat; something like that. If you give your adherents something to do instead of just something to believe you should actually attract some.

That's my $0.02.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:35 pm

I agree with Mafia Salad, you hit the nail on the head with the current apprehension to religion.

Currently the best approach to forming a religion (if you have your mind set on it and don't want to stick to rituals as suggested by Mafia) is to go to a library in Cantr, find a dead religion (ideally one that was once popular) and revitalise it with your own twist. That way you can stand on ceremony and say "this religion was once true! I am just a messenger bringing it back to life!"

I did that with one of my characters, but unfortunately when he went to the birthplace of the religion, it became pretty clear to him that it was a false religion made up by one guy. The town was very "meh" about it too, when the creator died, the religion died with him. A shame because there was one follower of it who came to my character's town, and that set in motion a series of events that almost revitalised it - my character sent off two people to spread the religion after the messenger died.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Oh, but of course!! A religion that sits about just philosophy and lore is, in the best of the cases, a plain "meh". But when you start performing rituals or doing stuff that results interesting (and non harming), and it proposes something new to the locals... Well, thats a good starting point. I pretty know that :p.

I cant talk about what I have in mind because it would go against the OOC rule. I can only say that is totally not related with the real world, and its by all means no ofensive to the players. It may have some cliché in its content, but what religion, even fictional, has no clichés at all now a days? Its, after all, just another posible belief for the game. Posibly functional, it depends about if it takes ground and sprouts or not. But it requieres time, first of all, to prepare a posible soil (and most important: to study it!!) to put the seed.
Optimus Christ

Postby Optimus Christ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Religions eh? I have one in mind. Too bad it's not your typical religion, as the character wouldn't share it.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Optimus Christ wrote:Religions eh? I have one in mind. Too bad it's not your typical religion, as the character wouldn't share it.

I don´t understand XD. Why?

Return to “General Discussion”